living room pc

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by technique786, Jan 5, 2012.

1. technique786

technique786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi guys,

I want a pc in my living room capable of streaming mkv files in 1080 with 5.1 from the hard drives i have connected to a networked pc.

I want to try and achieve this in a way as not to sacrifice any quality and have a pc i can hide away in my tv cabinet. I want it to be able to run a media centre like xbmc and have the ability to connect usb hard drives to for 1080 playback.

id like a web browser too.

i found the Acer Revo 100 which is perfect but not only does it cost the earth but im not sure the specs will handle what i need to.

any advice and any alternative products suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. VLife

VLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Foxconn NTA3500 + 4Gb SO-DIMM + 4Gb SD Card + MCE Remote + OpenElec XBMC install.

It will do everything you want to do apart from the web browser. It will boot up from cold in less than 20 sec and is very "green" anyway. Virtutally silent (you won't hear it) and you can hide it away with just the IR receiver from the MCE remote showing. Superb solution for media playback with a fantastic UI.

I would say about £220 inc VAT cost all in if you want to build and configure it yourself.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  3. technique786

technique786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Vlife but the web browser is quite important to us and i cant sacrifice that. Id also like a querty keyboard via usb attachment or mini remote ect.

I think the acer revo would win over anything not able to provide a decent browser

4. VLife

VLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The thing with OpenElec XBMC install is that it is a complete package to run XBMC. If you want a web browser as well then you're going to have to go down the Windows+XBMC route or a Linux distro such as Ubuntu. The NTA3500 will of course run W7 fine but you'll need to stick a HDD in the box as well adding to the expense. There are USB ports on the fron too so if you did want to add a keyboard in to it you could or just put a wireless keyboard/mouse or BT dongle in one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back.

Web browser really that important??

5. technique786

technique786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    TV has been my primary pc monitor for 5 years now and me and the wife have become lazy and love shopping for things online with the big screen and being able to check facebook, youtube, emails all on the fly while in the living room.

If i get lost in a game or something needs checking up having a living room pc really does make it great.

6. VLife

VLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I hear you mate, I've been using my main HTPC in the same way for years now too. I'm in the fortunate position that I have a lot of kit hanging around so I was able to put a 2.5" drive in my NTA3500. Windows should run really nicely on it and you can always run XBMC within Windows and still retain your web browsing fix.