Living Room Layout Advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by danbl, Nov 6, 2017.

1. danbl

danbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    A few years ago I sold most of my home cinema kit as we moved house and didn't have anywhere suitable to use it (or so I was told :rolleyes:). Anyway... some 5 houses later and we've just bought somewhere that we'll be in for the foreseeable future, and I've convinced her a movie room is a good idea! The downside is, I convinced her about a week after we'd finished decorating :facepalm:

I don't have much kit at the moment, just my Onkyo 607 Receiver and a 5.1 set of Boston Acoustics Soundware XS (I was made to sell my proper speakers and got these as a compromise to prevent me having to sell everything!). I haven't got a huge budget at the moment so I'm thinking of investing in a projector and screen now, then upgrading the amp and speakers at a later date.

Here's a quick sketchup of what the room looks like - it's not perfectly to scale, but it gives you an idea
    [​IMG]

The only realistic place to be able to project to is above the radiator. I think I'll end up with a Optoma HD39 and a pull down, wall mounted screen. With a few basic calcs I think we'll either end up with a 92" or 106" screen, depending on where I end up mounting the projector. The plan is to get the projector first, then work out everything else afterwards! The receiver will either sit on the bookcase or in a rack in the bay, slightly hidden behind part of the sofa.

My real issue/question is with the speakers... and particularly the centre speaker. If I project above the radiator, where am I best placing it? There would be space between the screen and the rad, however I expect heat would be an issue. As far as I can tell this leaves me with two options... above the screen, or on the floor. Any advice here? Also, as all the decorating has been done there'll be no burying cables just yet, so I'm planning on running the speaker cable along the top of the picture rail (level with top of door frame) in the hope it'll be invisible from eye level... will the speakers be OK wall mounted at this height, or do I need to mount them lower?

If anyone has any other advice or can point out anything I've missed, that'd be great too!

Thanks

2. orange55

orange55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I would advise putting a radiator cover in place as this will solve a number of issues.

It will deflect the heat away from the centre speaker and the screen, you can place the speaker on top of the radiator cover.

The radiator cover will be better looking than the radiator.

You can run the cables along and up inside the radiator cover for the centre speaker, and even the fronts depending on where you put them.

We got ours from here: Radiator Covers by Jali
    They are MDF, make sure you order them primed in white otherwise they are a pain to paint.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

3. danbl

danbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for this. I had considered a radiator cover but all the ones I'd looked at were significantly bigger than the radiator - I hadn't found any made to measure ones but these look great (if a tad more expensive than the others!)

4. orange55

orange55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    As you use the designer tool to change the sizes the price changes. You can change every size including skirting height and they advise on the minimum space around the radiator.

Once you enter your sizes you may find they are pretty competitive. (Well maybe ;-) )

5. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Bear in mind that any cover will affect how well the radiator convection works.

While the FAQ on Jali's website states they don't block heat, it then goes on to say that if you put a TRV inside their covers, you'll need to turn it up to take account that it is inside the cover...

6. orange55

orange55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    We have four covers in our house and the heat comes out fine, we only run them at 4 out of 6 on the thermostat and we like a warm house.