Living room conversion to MK 7.2.4 dedicated room

Datalus

Standard Member
This is my conversion of our living room in to a dedicated 7.2.4 cinema room. The work started 6 months ago with the strip out of the existing ceiling and has been progressing very slowing since then, with me doing work on weekends or whenever I can find some spare time.

The original room was 3.78m wide x 5.11m long x 2.33m high. There is a window on one of the short walls which will be retained with blackout blinds and curtains, and a store cupboard outside the room behind the screen wall which will be used for all the equipment.

IMG_1208.JPG

The AV equipment list:

MK IW150 MK11 - Front LCR x3
MK IW150T - Sides x2
MK M40T - Rears x2
MK M50 - Atmos x4
MK V12 - Sub 1 and 2
Anthem MRX 1140 - Processor/Amplifier
JVC DLA-N5 - Projector
130" scope acoustically transparent screen

The cinema will have two rows of seats with a riser for the back row, fabric covered walls, and dark carpet.

A plan of the final room layout below.

Layout + speakers + seating.jpg

I've been lurking and reading the amazing build threads on here for years so I have shamelessly stolen many of the great ideas for my build - A big shout out to some of those builds that have given me inspiration and I just hope that mine turns out a fraction as good as those. @The Dreamer , @Harkon321 , @mb3195 , @bardel , @RickyLee53 ,@Ronski ,@adam-burnley ,@PsyVision ,@KelvinS1965 ,@Plasma Dan

Many thanks to @Seriously Ltd for providing the AV equipment.

Datalus

Standard Member
The room has a guest bedroom the other side of the screen wall, and a further bedroom above the cinema. The remaining walls are adjacent to less sensitive spaces; two sides of the room are external brick/block cavity walls to outside, and the final wall with the entrance door is a cavity wall to a corridor.

For the screen wall I have built a new wall in front of the original room wall made out of dense concrete blocks and filled the 100mm cavity with Rockwall RWA45. I created two 50mm core drilled holes through this into the equipment cupboard for later routing of cables.

To help reduce sound leakage to these two bedroom spaces I have removed the existing ceiling and replaced it with Genie Clips and resilient channel supported off the existing joists, void filled with insulation, and then 18mm OSB and 15mm SoundBloc plasterboard with Green Glue in between. All edges of the ceiling where it met the walls were sealed with Everflex AC95 acoustic/intumescent flexible sealant. There will be no penetrations in the new ceiling for lighting or speakers that might compromise the acoustics - lighting will go in the bulkhead and the atmos speakers will be surface mounted and then covered in an acoustically transparent fabric.

original ceiling removed
timber floor cut back for new wall
Genie Clip and resilient channel
18mm OSB board on ceiling
Green Glue + 15mm SoundBloc plasterboard on ceiling
Hole at low level for vent into equipment cupboard
New blockwork wall and vent duct
Finished wall and ceiling

The plan is to replace the existing lightweight door with something heavier with drop seals, maybe a solid core fire door, or even a proper acoustic door set.

Before doing any work to the room the noise transmission to the adjacent rooms was measured. I will hopefully test at the end to see what improvement has been achieved. 🤞

Datalus

Standard Member
As part of building the new blockwork wall I added a ventilation duct to provide a route to extract air from high level in the front bulkhead in the cinema through into low level of the equipment room the other side of the wall. I used flat ductwork to fit within the cavity depth and then transition pieces to convert to 150dia round at the top and bottom of the vertical section where it goes through the wall. I hope that by routing the duct from high level to low level in this way it will reduce the amount of sound leakage I get compared to going directly straight through the wall with a duct. It won't be as good as a proper duct mounted attenuator but I can always add one of these later if there is an issue.

I lined out the equipment cupboard using left over OSB from the ceiling install. I will be fitting a 27U equipment rack in the cupboard for all the AV equipment and this will also be where I put the broadband router and switches, and route all the Cat6 data cables back to.

The plan is to put an inline Nuaire extract fan at the top of the equipment cupboard that will draw air from the cinema and then across the equipment to remove heat, before discharging it to outside. The fan will be speed controlled based on the temperature in the cupboard.

Eventually I will install air conditioning into the cinema and this cooled air will then also be drawn across the equipment.

vertical duct behind block wall
low level duct in cupboard
equipment cupboard

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Great stuff, I look forward to seeing more.

If you need any help calculating the effectiveness of your soundproofing plans, I know just the guy :D

Datalus

Standard Member
To avoid having to put holes in the new blockwork wall for the front speaker I have I have built a 100mm deep studwork wall to be faced with 18mm OSB to provide somewhere just deep enough to securely mount the MK IW150 front LCR speakers, and filled the cavity with insulation.

I've will be using OSB here rather than SoundBloc plasterboard as I'm not relying as this wall to provide any sound proofing, and the OSB give me somewhere to easily mount the screen to later without having to worry too much about the exact fixing locations as that will no doubt depend on the specific screen I get in the end.

I built this wall up to the height of the underside of where the bulkhead will be installed and fixed it back to the blockwork using some big concrete screws through each stud. Between the bottom timber and the existing floor I added a strip of GTEC Resilient Tape, which is a self adhesive acoustic isolation tape 50mm wide x 6mm thick.

I put in flexible conduits from the bulkhead down to where I will have the speaker openings for later installation of the speaker cables and subwoofer cables.

recessed holes for concrete screws
front wall part, first half
front wall, second half
speaker wire flexible conduit
conduit
conduit washer

Datalus

Standard Member
Now for the bulkhead around the room that will be used to hide the cables and provide somewhere to install the lighting. I first built a series of timber hoops that were fixed to the ceiling (without touching the walls) around the edges of the room. The underside was then lined with 9mm MDF and will be used for the downlights and LED tape uplighting.

IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1379.JPEG
IMG_1392.JPEG
IMG_1394.JPEG

Datalus

Standard Member
At the back of the room I will be using a motorised curtain to cover the window which will be voice controlled by Alexa. To conceal the curtain when it is open, to provide some acoustic absorption, and give me somewhere to mount the rear MK M40T speakers I built some short walls either side of the room that ran from the existing side walls to the edge of the window.

These walls are an open frame that is backed with weed suppression mat and will be filled with 100mm insulation and then eventually covered on the front in fabric like the rest of the walls.

IMG_1397.JPEG
IMG_1405.JPEG
IMG_1403.JPEG
IMG_1404.JPEG

Also at the back of the room I built some larger timber hoops to support the projector that were fixed to the ceiling and added a base of 18mm OSB for the projector to sit on. The sides and bottom were then lined with MDF as the rest of the bulkhead. The front will also eventually have a panel with a cut-out sized for the lens and ventilation.

IMG_1418.JPEG

Datalus

Standard Member
Now the main part of the bulkhead was in place this gave me a route for cabling. I started to pull the 13 speaker cables through from the equipment room using the 50mm conduit I'd put in through the blockwork walls. I also pulled through two Ruipro optical HDMI cables and some Cat 6 data cables. At this point I also put the holes in the underside of the bulkhead for the downlights

IMG_1421.JPEG
IMG_1457.JPEG

For the side surround speakers I have built a column on each side to mount the MK IW150T speakers. Again, I went with 100mm deep studwork for the column faced with 18mm OSB and filled with insulation.

IMG_1464.JPEG

At the front of the room I built the exhaust air plenum using foam board for the extract from the cinema room into the equipment room. I cut holes in the foam board for the 150dia duct connection and added some conduits through the plenum to get cables from one side to the other. I got the two black aluminium grilles from Amazon to finish off the front openings.

IMG_1409.JPEG
IMG_1407.JPEG
IMG_1410.JPEG

Datalus

Standard Member
Once all the cables had been run through the bulkhead it was then stuffed with fluffy insulation and the 6mm MDF facia board installed.

I then covered all the MDF with adhesive flocked black velvet that I got from ABM and installed the downlights.

I then decided to give all the walls and ceiling a base coat of black paint using Leyland Trade Vinyl Matt. Starting to feel like a cinema! The plan is that this will all be covered in fabric anyway so is probably a waste of time and money but it does make it much darker for the time being. It looks grey against the velvet though in photos.

IMG_1481.JPEG
bulkhead insulation
bulkhead downlights
black wall paint vs adhesive flock velvet
back of room
IMG_1544.jpeg

Datalus

Standard Member
For the back row of seats I now need to build a raised platform to give a clear view of the screen over the front row. This would be around 300mm high and built using 145mmx45mm floor joists, filled with insulation and then covered with 18mm OSB. I constructed it so that the void was split into two equal sized chambers and then left these voids open at the back of the room. This provides an volume of insulation of 1.8m3 (3.78x1.6x0.3m) Not sure if it will help acoustically or not but if it effects the room acoustics in a negative way I can always seal the back of the riser by adding a board along this edge.

At this point I also filled the two back walls with 100mm Rockwool and covered in weed suppression mat. Later these will be fabric covered.

riser platform joists
IMG_1511.JPEG
IMG_1512.JPEG
IMG_1514.JPEG

Datalus

Standard Member
Riser platform finished so thought I'd bring some sofas in from another room to test the viewing angles. Still haven't got the proper acoustically transparent screen yet, so put up a kingsize bedsheet folded into 2.40:1 size as a temporary makeshift screen!

IMG_1540.JPEG

IMG_1538.JPEG

IMG_1539.JPEG

Now up to date with the (slow) progress of the work over the last 6 months. There are still some big things left to complete:
  1. Replace entrance door with acoustic door
  2. Install carpet/underlay
  3. Cover walls and ceiling with acoustically transparent stretched fabric
  4. Install AC unit
  5. Complete rack in equipment room and extract ventilation
  6. Buy dedicated cinema seating
  7. Buy a proper projector screen!
Trying really hard to not get drawn into watching films now and keep on with finishing the work.

Last edited:

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Unfortunately I won’t be able to attend when you pop over on Saturday to discuss wall fabrics but Mike will look after you.

Datalus

Standard Member
Do you have any particular seats on your mind? :)
Not decided on particular seats yet. Will be going for a 3 seat set for the front row and a 4 seat set for the back row. The seats need to have motorised recline and headrest, but not sure about lumbar support. I think I'm leaning towards fabric covered rather than leather.

On my shortlist of brands at the moment are:
Frontrow Serenity
Octane Flex
Valencia Tuscany

Datalus

Standard Member
To cover the floor I've decided to go with a black carpet called Cascade Saxony in Obsidian from Tapi Carpets, along with their Unity underlay. Should arrive in around 3 weeks but was told there can be delays from the supplier at the moment.

IMG_1574.jpeg

For the vertical parts of the riser step they said that the carpet fitters would probably use adhesive. The guy in the store wasn't sure what the best way was to deal with the power sockets I have installed on this part of the riser behind the seating.

Any tips for the best way to deal with where the carpet will run past the power sockets? Cut round and staple it, or try to have the socket faceplate over the top and tuck the carpet behind using some long screws into the back boxes?

IMG_1576.jpeg

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Our showroom seats (very little use only demonstration purposes are available)
Home Cinema Modules, Atlas seating as we are not going to use these particular seats in the new showrooms.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Not decided on particular seats yet. Will be going for a 3 seat set for the front row and a 4 seat set for the back row. The seats need to have motorised recline and headrest, but not sure about lumbar support. I think I'm leaning towards fabric covered rather than leather.

On my shortlist of brands at the moment are:
Frontrow Serenity
Octane Flex
Valencia Tuscany
Sounds good. I've gone for 4 decent seats at the front, and 4 cheaper actual cinema seats at the back, since it's just for when we have guests.

Datalus

Standard Member
Love the quality of your work.

Could I ask what you used for the motorised curtain please?
Thank you, appreciate that. Been following your amazing build, really impressive stuff.

The motorised curtain rail was originally bought back in 2017 for the living room of our last home and decided to reuse it here with a bit of a respray in black so it blended in.

It was purchased from an AliExpress seller called Scott Liu and was the Dooya motor Sunflower brand KT52S motorized curtain track 360cm wide. It cost £107 inc shipping back then, but not sure if that particular seller is even still around. It arrived in a couple of weeks in great condition and has worked flawlessly.

I went for this particular model as it came with the bare 4 wire motor which I could then link to a Fibaro z-wave relay that allowed me to have both a manual wall switch but also the ability that it could be linked it into my home automation system, including an Alexa integration. I simply say "Alex open curtains" :)

I followed the guide I found by CW-KID at:
Budget Z-wave Curtain tracks with Vera / Dooya / Fibaro – Part1

I'm actually thinking about using something similar to provide screen masking between scope and 16:9 CIH using some Devore or mevl22 as the curtain material. I was inspired by the build thread by @flipa
Basement 7.2.4 - Dedicated Room

Datalus

Standard Member
Our showroom seats (very little use only demonstration purposes are available)
Home Cinema Modules, Atlas seating as we are not going to use these particular seats in the new showrooms.
Are they in the old showroom still, I could take a look on Saturday when I'm there?

Datalus

Standard Member
Sounds good. I've gone for 4 decent seats at the front, and 4 cheaper actual cinema seats at the back, since it's just for when we have guests.
Good idea about going for something cheaper for the back row - it would let me spend more on the front row which will be used more often. Could I ask which brand of cinema style seats you went for at the back?

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp