1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living right under the transmitter - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Nello, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    although i've not bought the tv yet i am looking to get an IDTV soon. i live right next to (well, 500 yards from) tv transmitter at crystal palace. currently have a battered old tv with an indoor aerial (am not sure how easy it would be to get an external aerial setup on the block of flats i live in) and can't get very good analogue reception for channel 5.

this is probably an impossible question to answer but, am i more likely to get better digital reception through an aerial because i live so close to transmitter or could this cause me problems? also do i HAVE to invest in an external aerial, etc to get the free digital channels?

i don't want to spend £700 on a tv to find it doesn't pick up any signal.

cheers
    Neil :confused:

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why not buy a Freeview box from Argos to test and then return it under the 16-day money back guarantee if you don't need it ;)

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,222
    I moved into a house and the aerial was the wrong one for the transmitter also the aerial cable was thin, like three strands of hair. I replaced them with the correct aerial and very good cable but the picture was worse. I contacted the shop I was told I was probably receiving too strong a signal, and would have to fit an attenuator. I tried one and it did not work so I set the TV back up with the ropy old cable and the wrong aerial. It works fine now. Only thing if that old aerial perishes I’m in trouble.

4. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Because they're excluded from the guarantee to stop people from doing this.

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's a shame! How can people rely on those computer "predictions"!

Another way to circumvent the system is to order a Freeview Box online. You then have 7 days from the delivery of the goods to send them back under distance selling regulations. You'll have to bear the cost of return carriage though.

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get reasonable analogue reception - ie a watchable picture, then there's every chance you'll get DTT.

In my experience, if you buy a bit of kit from a good supplier and it doesn't work, they'll take it back if you keep all the packaging...

You'll be pleased with the pictures if it works!