Living next door to a dealer...

dyspraxicowl

I know this is a family forum, but i wanted a bit of advice from the general public, so here is the place.
I apologise for poor written style, its a disability so unfortunately i cant help it!

My indirect neighbour (at the bottom of the garden, i live on a corner), deals drugs - I know 100% he deals weed, so i guess he could sell other stuff. im only there half of the time to look after my elderly mother, but i see enough to annoy me.

what makes it worse, is he doesn't drive - so the customers come to him, if he drove a car, i wouldn't care as much, as it wouldn't be on my doorstep.

i know thats the wrong mentality, but unfortunately it happens in society more than ever now.

It been going on a long time, and its obvious, just annoying things like getting home from work and having cars pull up buying, or having to dodge a sale when im taking the bins out.

at its peak i would see a few deals a day. I reported this to the police maybe early 2020, over the phone, in person at the station etc, I was fold to send evidence over facebook messenger, and i did so for quite some time. I know the other neighbour reported him as she is next to him, and her house stinks of weed now. A few others reported him too (i found out more recently, but i dont know who they are)

A few months ago the police came with the big knocker, took the door off and raided the place. The only news that was taken was that drugs,drug related equipment etc was taken..., I didnt hear anything criminal taken against him, so im assuming he didnt have much stock.

hes back operating again, i probably see him twice a day, in the limited time im at that house, but it really is effecting my mental health, i dont want to have people dealing drugs outside my elderly mothers house, shes worried about it, and its my duty to make sure she is ok and healthy.

how do i deal with this, i know a lot of people turn a blind eye to this, but ive genuinely had enough.

I dont want to make things bad for her, so that really means i cant just give the lad a bit of a beating (i know i shouldnt)
I keep reporting it to the police, but i dont want this to take forever.
Im going to write to my MP and local council.
Ive told the police (quite directly) that the next person who buys drugs on my doorstep is getting confronted, but they just tell me not to do this.
i had a word with the lad selling a long time ago, and he just denied it!

Im worried that one day im going to have a bad day at work, and just end up either kicking off with him or a customer, and making things worse for my mum...

any ideas how i can get this stopped.

Koeman2021

Banned
The police should be dealing with this, follow the police complaints process. Your local station should be able to provide details on how to do this.

Writing to your MP and Local council may help.

Does he own the property or is it a local authority property ? Contact the housing company also if it is

dyspraxicowl

The police should be dealing with this, follow the police complaints process. Your local station should be able to provide details on how to do this.

Writing to your MP and Local council may help.

Does he own the property or is it a local authority property ? Contact the housing company also if it is
im not entirely sure, i have investigated this (to quite a high level), the house was purchased by someone with the same surname for probably 10% of its value years before they moved in - which doesn't make much sense, but the paper trail runs cold

Good idea on the complaints front, i will speak to them later today.

Koeman2021

Banned
It was probably through a right to buy, ex council property bought by the Tennant. So privately owned now. I expect that's what's happened.

dyspraxicowl

It was probably through a right to buy, ex council property bought by the Tennant. So privately owned now. I expect that's what's happened.
i dont think thats the case, as i know the previous tennant rented, so i'm confident it wasnt council owned before, if i had to guess, it appears that it was sold by one family member to another, and the money just changed hands to make it a formality.

the current occupants speak to no one, the parents of the dealer, don't work, never have any visitors, and hardly leave the house. They dont even say hello or good morning to anyone who passes.

Judge Mental

Personally I would move house. Life is too short to be worrying about this when the authorities that should be dealing with it are completely ineffectual. Short term pain, long term gain.

dyspraxicowl

Personally I would move house. Life is too short to be worrying about this when the authorities that should be dealing with it are completely ineffectual. Short term pain, long term gain.
its essentially where my mother will live until... well
so this is why its not a option, im only there to make sure she is ok (i pop in most days and stay there overnight a little) and although it is my house, i moved her in when she couldn't cope too much on her own, shes happy and is good there.

this is part of the reason i cant just knock on the door, and give him a friendly hand!!!

stblob

Where does the money come from to purchase a house? If no one is working and own by them?
Police need to up the anti and sort this out. Tax man?
Fraud? Money laundering? The works.

dyspraxicowl

Where does the money come from to purchase a house? If no one is working and own by them?
Police need to up the anti and sort this out. Tax man?
Fraud? Money laundering? The works.
i know this might be deemed as nosey, and i guess it is - i spent that long asking around if anyone knew the names of the occupiers, and no one did.. I did a land registry search and it obviosuly contained data which is correct. It was only one day when the postman delivered post to me that i found the surname of the person who lived there

CCTV is a good shout, if i didnt live on the corner, i would put it up - but it would be obvious what it was looking at, and a cost i shouldnt have to have

Xenomorph

Might be difficult if the area stinks of weed. Would be a total no buy decision for me.

Heartstone

Done some work with county lines and neighbourhood stuff and how to deter drug activity, give the impression all is being watched by police, stick up stickers with smile you are being watched.
Probably should get permission if not your property, never known it to be an issue myself.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Also, at night, put a few CCTV in operation signs down the street.

CCTV is a good shout, if i didnt live on the corner, i would put it up - but it would be obvious what it was looking at, and a cost i shouldnt have to have
I don't think @stblob was in any way suggesting you invest in CCTV merely that signs intimating CCTV operated in the area might scare off the customers.

Incidentally, there is/was a dealer nearby to where I lived previously; on the Google streetview for that premises, as the camera car drove by there are still images of a male riding a cycle right up to the front door then getting his mobile out. Certainly a suspicious visitor caught in the act.

(No identifying features - as viewable on Google Earth/Maps)
1628771448864.png

Last edited:

Carbon 60

Personally I wouldn't do anything provocative the results of which could lead back to me, especially if my mum could end up in the firing line as well. Some dealers have underworld contacts trust me you definitely don't want turning up at your front door.

I think your best bet is to stay under the radar and as stated by Koeman2021 follow the police complaints process and write to your MP. Rather than writing to the local council however I would email/call my local councillor.

iqoniq

I dont want to make things bad for her, so that really means i cant just give the lad a bit of a beating (i know i shouldnt)

Giving a dealer "a bit of a beating" is a bad idea, especially when they'll probably know people who will do a lot more than give you a beating in return. You're potentially provoking a war with this guy, and unless you can back yourself up, it's unlikely to end well. There's also the fact that he then becomes the victim in a legal sense, and regardless of what he is/isn't doing, you'll end up in trouble. I know a lot of dealers (I'll admit I smoke weed daily, and buy in ounces, not grams), and while some of them may not be a threat themselves, the people they know above them are people I'm extremely wary of, even at the best of times.

Also, not all dealers do a delivery service. While it does happen, depending on what the police are like where you are, a car seen constantly driving around an area and stopping off is a bit of a giveaway. If they're low-level, paying of a debt, or only dealing in small amounts then it costs more in petrol and wear and tear on the car than the profit they make (selling weed is for mugs now, unless you're a grower, supplier dealing in large volumes or going overboard with the oregano).

The CCTV thing does work wonders, though. I've got 360 degree coverage around my house (4 external cameras), and it actually lowers my insurance for house contents (it's paid for itself). Last year when we entered lockdown, we noticed a lot of people congregating in the access road (everyone has off street parking at the rear of their house). At first I thought it was just kids meeting up somewhere they couldn't be easily found, but it turned out they were dealing, and a lot more than just weed. I did point out to them that they were on CCTV, only to be asked was it X-ray because they always had their backs turned to it. I had to admit that unfortunately it wasn't. What I didn't mention was that it did have audio as well, and I was able to hear them on the phone and speaking to one another. Unfortunately for them, it also developed a glitch around the same time that saw all the footage accidentally e-mailed to a friend of mine who happens to be a detective. It ceased to be a problem shortly after.

With IP cameras, you can also go almost wire-free by using powerline networking, which uses your electric cables in your house to transmit data and power to the camera. You'll still have a network cable running from the wall (possibly via a power injector to power the cam), but it's fairly reliable, and my parents have a set-up like that. There are wifi cameras, but they can be problematic, especially if you have wifi deadzones.

The only downside with real CCTV is if the police know. If your area has a high crime rate, you'll end up on first name terms with the local police, as they'll be constantly requesting to back up your CCTV if they think it could be useful in an investigation. They call around here about once every three months on average, and they come in, pop an encrypted USB stick in the NVR get the footage they need and then disappear, and I occasionally get an update a little while later regarding the case. I'll be honest, I do get certain little perks because of it (they ignore my "incense" for instance), but I don't do it for that. I just happen to be a law abiding person who doesn't agree with the laws regarding a certain plant (legalising it would put a stop to your problem, but that's a different discussion).

You can also get fake CCTV cameras which you just stick on the wall. They usually have a little LED that's battery powered, and sometimes even infra-red lights (if you point a mobile phone camera at a CCTV camera with IR in the dark, the phone camera will see the area like it's lit up and it can be an indication the CCTV is legit). They're anything from £5-£25 a shot, and they can be effective as a visible deterrent if you draw attention to it, especially if they have the IR.

Sticking up CCTV notices with no visible equipment is pointless. All that happens is the dealer and his customers will start looking around the area, and then figure a route out if they see any. There's the potential for them to think "oh there's no CCTV there..." and start going past your house. They'll also take a notice in your windows as well, because sometimes people have internal cameras that point outwards.

For the people saying "just move", like it's that easy for everyone, and why should the OP move? The house I live in now was originally meant to be a second home (with two lodgers for when I was at home with my then-wife) because I was working here, but life happened and it's now my home. I've got the house how I want it, put down roots, made friends, and I'm relatively settled (or as much as I will be in the UK anyway), and it's something I will defend (the house is nicknamed The Fort by my mum). I also guess I'm not alone in that sentiment. There's also the fact that the stress of moving can be greater than dealing with the problem. If the OP owned their home and tried to sell, as far as I know they're legally obliged to mention the dealers as well. Who's going to buy a house with a write up of "attractive 3 bed semi, close to all local amenities and drug dealers"?

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Pick an upstairs room that faces said house. Close the curtains most of the way over leaving slightly ajar. Then setup binoculars on a tripod or even better a camera. Make it so that the binoculars look as if they are trying to be hidden but showing enough that they could be spotted from the other house. Every now and then twitch the curtains, if you are there and notice activity at the other house then make sure curtains are twitched a few times

Might take a while but soon enough they will think they are being watched by the police 😂

Maxatoria

Have a chat with the guy, let him know that a low crime area is good for business aka don't crap on your own doorstep and keep it civil as no one like the rozzers around even if you are generally law abiding.

Mums cousin lived in a block of flats with a drug dealer who was of the opinion that happy neighbours were good ones and the few streets around were probably the safest area for a good distance. The dealer and his guys were pure thugs but understood that less complaints improved cash flow and thus kept a tidy area and when he was ill they'd even help him with his shopping.

dyspraxicowl

@Carbon 60 @iqoniq
i know i shouldn't just give him a beating, both in a legal sense, and in a sensible sense. but its hard to think like that,
i'm not aggressive at all... however i am a 3rd degree black belt in 2 martial arts, and have fought at international level for years (im retired from the sport now) - the dealer is probably 8 stone less than me, and i have no worries about him on a physical level at all (hes quite young too).....

90% of the time im ok about it, but its the time when i have a hard day at work and i get home and its happening when i get home, that i get angry - if i can see it that much in the little time im there - it's going on a lot.

Last year i took my dustbin out late one day and i was just wearing shorts (not a good sight) and a deal was happening where i place my bin to be emptied. it was 10am,and i couldnt even take my bin out without being interrupted. That's the closest i've came to actual confrontation.

i did tell the police after that off the record during a informal chat, that if im threatened or any customer looks like they will threaten me, i will use my martial arts background to make sure the guy cant walk for a few months ( a swift foot through the knee will ensure this) but i did make it clear that that would only be in self defence, the policeman said if it did happen i probably wouldn't be charged due to the person having a record (they didn't disclose the record or anything about it, but the police used to be there a lot for domestic issues, until one family member moved out - personally i think the arguing was about dealing with a small child in the house)

@nvingo @JimmyMac @iqoniq
CCTV isnt really a option, it would have to be external, due to me being on a corner, the windows dont face the direction of theirs, apart from the kitchen (which is too low) and the bathroom which is frosted - the only way a camera would work, would be external and mounted on the corner of the house, which wouldnt monitor my property at all, just the street

dyspraxicowl

Have a chat with the guy, let him know that a low crime area is good for business aka don't crap on your own doorstep and keep it civil as no one like the rozzers around even if you are generally law abiding.

Mums cousin lived in a block of flats with a drug dealer who was of the opinion that happy neighbours were good ones and the few streets around were probably the safest area for a good distance. The dealer and his guys were pure thugs but understood that less complaints improved cash flow and thus kept a tidy area and when he was ill they'd even help him with his shopping.
i want to, but since the police acted a few months ago, by happily taking his front door off with the big knocker, i dont want to make it too obvious that me and the other neighbour have been reporting this for nearly 2 years.

also if he took offense, it woud probably
a)make it escalate to physical violence.
b) make it harder for my mother, i wouldn't want to put her under threat

mr starface

No advice I'm afraid but you have my utmost sympathy. We don't have a dealer but neighbour two doors away smokes wed and the smell is awful and stinks the whole house out particularly in summer when doors and windows are open.

They have two kids so I'm guessing that's why they don't do it indoors and so inflict it on us and our child. OH has bad asthma as well which makes it even worse.

Gaslight

Personally. I hate alcohol with a passion, and can't stand people who consume it or are drunk, especially when they are out in the garden next door. Basically, junkies. Pretty much like dealing, bring your own and get mash up at my house. Annoys the crap out of me, but it is what it is.

Just because alcohol has drug has been 'legalised' dosent make it ok, but we have to live with other people around us, whether we like or not, and they may do things we dont like or appreciate. If you don't like it, move. Tbh, from what you have said, it dosent sound too bad at all. It could be far far worse I can assure you!

Have a chat with him, you might be find him open to making arrangements away from the house.

dyspraxicowl

Personally. I hate alcohol with a passion, and can't stand people who consume it or are drunk, especially when they are out in the garden next door. Basically, junkies. Pretty much like dealing, bring your own and get mash up at my house. Annoys the crap out of me, but it is what it is.

Just because alcohol has drug has been 'legalised' dosent make it ok, but we have to live with other people around us, whether we like or not, and they may do things we dont like or appreciate. If you don't like it, move. Tbh, from what you have said, it dosent sound too bad at all. It could be far far worse I can assure you!

Have a chat with him, you might be find him open to making arrangements away from the house.
don't take this the wrong way, i couldn't care for the legalisation argument in the slightest , this isnt the place for discussion.

i'm not moving house, because someone is breaking the law - at the end of MY garden.
at the end of the day, its illegal, and the police should be acting. it should be for me to have a nice little chat with him and ask him to do it elsewhere. (because then if he denied it, or got nasty, i would have to prove its self defence)

its just moving the issue, and the smell would still exist.

also i live in a rural village (maybe 6000 people), so i know if it was a city, it would be worse, but like anyone, i know it happens, and im not naive enough to say it doesnt. Drugs today are far worse than when i was in my youth 20 years ago (im 40)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco introduces N50-S38 music library