• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Living in HD

Berncestre

Standard Member
I have done a quick search to see if this has already been posted, and i couldn't find any mention, so apologies if i missed something.

I was just checking which of the new shows would be in HD next week and i noticed that "Ghost Whisperer" on Living showing at 9pm on Tuesday 6/10/09 was highlighted in yellow on the EPG which usually means HD, and also had "HD" in it's info bar.
A couple of other shows including CSI Miami also had the same info.

As this is the same day Living is meant to go HD on Virgin Media, does anybody know if the deal with Sky to carry the channel in HD has been confirmed?

Last edited:

Jaycee Dove

This has been discussed on the HD programmes I think.

It has been filling up with HD stiuff since Tuesday (basically Ghost Whisperer, Medium, L Word, Boston Legal, CSI and CSI Miami are shown as HD so far).

It IS meant to be Virgiin exclusive starting Tuesday (day the Sky HD listingfs show) and it cannot be HD on Sky channels 112 and 113 (even the +`1 is billed as HD on the Sky EPG) as these are SD channels.

So it presumably has to be an error - even though our living series links for next week have shown up in the planner as HD too.

Someone over on DS where it has been discussed for a day or two says Virgin have supplied these listings - so maybe they have done it on purpose ro show Sky customers what they COULD watch if they switched to Virgin.

Very odd for Sky to have let them get away with that, if so, as they presumably could have corrected the EPG over the past 3 or 4 days.

Either way it is amusing.

I should add that Digiguide does not show them as HD on Sky (and as I note they surely cannot be on channels 112 and 113 as the EPG says - there would have to be a new HD channel, as on Virgin, wouldnt there?)

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
I think it will be a matter of time. It wouldn't make sense for Living to ignore the biggest HD carrier unless Virgin agreed a massive exclusivity deal.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
Living is owned by Virginmedia.

Didn't know that. Maybe Virginmedia will use Living HD as a trade to get access to one of Sky's HD channels?

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Maybe Virginmedia will use Living HD as a trade to get access to one of Sky's HD channels?

The current SD deal is a straight you give me yours and I'll give you mine with a valuation of £30 million a year so yes I would expect LivingHD to be put on the table with the proviso SKY put something of equal value and that can only be SKY1HD.

ozsat

Jaycee Dove

Sky still have not changed the EPG (do they have the authority to alter channels not their own - possibly not).

It has been filling up with HD flags and going orange via the new EPG since Tuesday (Private Practice for Friday was added in HD yesterday).

I now have two or three Living series links in the planner now claiming they are going to record in HD off an SD channel which they clearly cannot do.

Someone on DS has suggested Sky might be planning to offer these as red button HD options. Seems unlikely and doing that on the +1 channel seems even less likely.

Indeed why would the +1 channel listings be showing HD as well unless this is just the wrong data being fed in to the computer.

Papcx

Personally I'm not that bothered about living, HD or otherwise, but the missus watches all that Biggest Super model suff [email protected]

Wouldn't it be nice for Sky to tell us what was happening with Living! We know they monitor these forums so they know people are asking questions.

Last edited:

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Wouldn't it be nice for Sky to tell us what was happening with Living! We know they monitor these forums so they know people are asking questions.

If negotiations are ongoing or even being considered there will be no public announcements if only to make sure neither party looks like idiots if any plans fall through.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Sky still have not changed the EPG (do they have the authority to alter channels not their own - possibly not).

It has been filling up with HD flags and going orange via the new EPG since Tuesday (Private Practice for Friday was added in HD yesterday).

I now have two or three Living series links in the planner now claiming they are going to record in HD off an SD channel which they clearly cannot do.

Someone on DS has suggested Sky might be planning to offer these as red button HD options. Seems unlikely and doing that on the +1 channel seems even less likely.

Indeed why would the +1 channel listings be showing HD as well unless this is just the wrong data being fed in to the computer.

Yep individual channels control the contents of their EPG data which SKY can not touch so it does look like the person or employer responsible is playing silly sods, quite clever really and more subtle than SKY's newspaper adverts when VM dropped SKY1:)

A red button option would be possible as UKTV/VM have full Interactive options but there would have been long term testing going on and it would have certainly been noticed.

hurdy

Rather than some clever trick, is it not more likely that some lazy beggar is cut and pasting the EPG details from the HD channel to save themselves a bit of work?

Radiomike

Yep individual channels control the contents of their EPG data which SKY can not touch so it does look like the person or employer responsible is playing silly sods, quite clever really and more subtle than SKY's newspaper adverts when VM dropped SKY1:)

A red button option would be possible as UKTV/VM have full Interactive options but there would have been long term testing going on and it would have certainly been noticed.

I can understand individual channels being able to control the contents of their EPG data as supplied to Sky but being able to upload that data without any sort of apparent control or oversight from the EPG proprietor seems unlikely or risky as you could publish anything on that basis including defamatory material. There surely has to be some control....

Jaycee Dove

Whatever the case the EPG reverted to normal this morning, All reference to HD was cleared from the Living channels this week.

It IS launching tomorrow with all the listed shows in HD (CSI, CSI Miami, Ghost Whisperer, Medium, Private Practice, Boston Legal and L Word) but on Virgin only.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
I can understand individual channels being able to control the contents of their EPG data as supplied to Sky but being able to upload that data without any sort of apparent control or oversight from the EPG proprietor seems unlikely or risky as you could publish anything on that basis including defamatory material. There surely has to be some control....

To get an EPG slot they need to be a UK TV broadcast license holder so they are under the over sight of OFCOM and there is plenty of regulatory control to punish errors or poor practices without the need to expect SKY to vet the actual contents of the associated text. The same I would assume applies to Freesat, Freeview and even VM's EPG's.

Jaycee Dove

Just to add that Living HD did launch today as a Virgin exclusive with Boston Legal in the early hours being on (but in 4:3).

There is a screen shot linked from the Virgin forum on Digital Spy for anyone eager to see what it looks like.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom