Livestreaming: Smart TV vs Laptop

audiphile76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have been considering replacing my ageing plasma with a smart TV. Since i watch a lot of content from laptop(live sports, free movies etc..) connected to TV. I was wondering if using a smart tv will elimate needing to connect a laptop to the TV. Sorry for this dumb question, i have been quite away from TV technology lately.

Generally speaking no. The Smart TV may have a web browser, but they are usually pretty bad, with very limited Flash support - generally so limited, few actual television websites work with them. Add to the fact that the user interface with a remote is a painful experience.

All that said, there are ways to do what you want, but you may still need another device connected to your actual Smart TV rather than rely solely on it.

There is a chance you would be in luck though. What services do you use on your laptop that you wish to use just with the Smart TV. I could check on mine if they work or not.

If your movies are stored on a remote computer or NAS on your network, you can always have Plex installed, which has apps for some smart TV's (Samsung comes to mind). This does work well. In fact, anything which has an actual app generally works good on a Smart TV, just not if you rely on the browser.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom