Liverpool Pics - Comments Welcomed

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Robert B 2, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Robert B 2

Robert B 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

2. Robert B 2

Robert B 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right, sorry about that. They're up now. What do people think?

Cheers

Robert

3. sivraj494

sivraj494

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There some really good shots, Robert. I havn't got a favourite at the moment. However the pictures do not meet forum rules, and need 2 b uder 800k on the longest side, and 200k in size.

Sorry to be piccy, it's just I can't view them properly on my screen otherwise.

4. Robert B 2

Robert B 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought that only applied in the competition. I've just spent ages doing these, is there a way of doing it without having to resize and then re-upload them all to the image host?

5. sivraj494

sivraj494

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I thought that as well, however i noticed Zone mention in the christmas crad thread, that they need to be 800k on the longest side, and 200k in size. As for re-sizing them easily, I cannot help you there, sorry.

Jarvis

6. Robert B 2

Robert B 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I've speant half of my evening posting up these images for forummers on here to enjoy and comment on. I am having computer issues and the image host is very slow so it will take at least an hour for me to change them.

I'll wait to see what a mod has to say first.

Thanks for your "helpful" comments.

7. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    I like 2 and 8. You've captured some good colours. Is it me or is there a slight tilt to the right on ones captured with the tamron?

8. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    very nice shots mate, but as mentioned they are to big for forum rule's, if you go into the competition thread you will find a resize facility there, which will resize all your pic's for you, else you may find one of the mod's will break your link to the pic's HTH :smashin:

9. Robert B 2

Robert B 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Actually, I've never been able to make the resize facility work. Anyway, I'm sure the mods don't need you doing their work for them.- What is it with the forummers on here?

10. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    :( no one on here does the mod's work mate,it was just a friendly gesture to point you in the right direction, and hopefully not get the links broken to your pic's which sometime's happen,s if there not within forum rule's, but obviously you don't need any help as you seem to know it all already, so won't bother in future :thumbsdow

11. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I don't think there is any need to be particularly arsey about this.

When I was modding this forum, one of the things that drove me mad was people consistently posting images that were oversized, be it in pixel count or bytes. I don't think anyone was trying to do the mods work, simply helping out and pointing you in the right direction to save having links broken and to save Zone having to do it. He has enough on his plate with modding of the forum and the monthly competition, believe me.

The re-size facility does have it's issues and can be tempremental at times so probably better to resize your own images using something like Irfanview or PS.

I think the 1st and 9th are the best images from that assortment. i like the skyline on the 9th one particularly.

12. Robert B 2

Robert B 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well it would help if there was a "Forum Rules" stickied thread that points this out to people. I noticed after going to the trouble of posting these that there is a photo sharing thread in which the size is mentioned, but it doesn't state that it applies to the whole forum (i.e. threads like this one.) A "Photo Posting Rules" thread would be helpful to people less familiar with the forum. That way people who go to the trouble of using their precious time to add colour and images to this forum won't spoil your life by posting over sized images. If it consistently drives you mad it's probably because the rule hasn't been made obvious enough to people before they have gone to the trouble of posting.

The reason I got arsey was because I spent hours of my time producing this thread for the enjoyment of others, and rather than receive meaningful comments and feedback (which I expected from a photography forum), I found people paying more attention to the the sizes of the images, in what appeared to be an officious manner. Although this is because it wasn't obvious to me why it would be such a big deal. I see now that it may impact on server space, etc. I was more annoyed that I'd wasted my time and so I hope Beach will accept my apologies.

Unfortunately I will not have the time available now to resize them and re-upload them, so I will remove them to save Zone the hassle.

13. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Fair point, hopefully Zone will pick this up.

I have to say though that the 800 pixel rule is quite limiting and the majority of people are easily able to display images over that size without having the scrolling problem on the forum. The poll I posted here backs that comment up. The 200kb limit is also a little too small given that dial up connections are a rarity these days.

I have previously made suggestions that these limitations be looked at for the good of all but to no real avail. That's why I started hosting my pics on Flickr and linking from there :)

14. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

ok mate no prob no lasting harm done :smashin: i can understand your frustration as it does take a long time to post pic's sometimes, only to find they hav'ent come on here the way you wanted, i can assure you (and i think i speak for a lot on here) we have all experienced it sometime or another, one tip that was given to me by steve is when resizing try turning your antivirus off just while your doing it, as this worked for me and speeded the process up, what i do is make a copy of the original photo, then resize the copy on here, when your resized photo show,s right click on it with the mouse and save to wherever you want on your PC, and then post on here, HTH

15. Robert B 2

Robert B 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Alright mates,

Sorry about the hissy fit. :rolleyes:

Best wishes :)

16. Suits Me

Suits Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Where have the Paddys' Wigwam photo's gone :confused: I did like them.

Below is a nothing pic but a reasonably dramatic sky, if the clear blue sky PW pic had this darkened sky I'm sure it would have looked real good :)

[​IMG]

17. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,674
    Robert
    The 800 pixel limit is forum wide I'm afraid not just the comp or the photography forum so sorry about the effort you went to, hope you repost them though as I never got to see them :(

Steve mentioned that he has asked the powers that be if the sizes could be increased but we're still waiting for an answer :rolleyes:

The 800pixel limit is specific to attachments though but out of fairness we apply those same limits to hosted images though we do allow the file size to be slightly larger, 200kb as opposed to 120kb :)

I'll mention the size limits again and we'll see what happens ;)

18. ScouserAndy

ScouserAndy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Where the photos?
    Wanted to see my home town! :)

19. metropolis

metropolis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222

me too

20. Robert B 2

Robert B 2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've tried re-sizing them, but with some of the images become much smaller than 800 pixel limit in order to comply with the 200kb file size. So they become a bit tiny to enjoy.

Does anybody have any tips?

Cheers, Rob

21. grantsteve

grantsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I use Photoshop to resize the image first to 800 pixels on the long side, then either 'save for web' or 'save as'. You can then adjust the quality of the image (in 'save as' its a slider) to decrease the size of the file. Photoshop helpfully gives you an idea of the size of the file as you change the quality settings.

I know some people have trouble with the file sizes but that method always works for me.

... er, if you don't use Photoshop then I'm not sure :confused:

22. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,674

Irfanview
    as always is my recomendation for batch processing and you'll have a lot of control over the final file sizes Robert.