Liverpool or Everton for the CL?

What should the FA do?

• Enter Everton into the Champions League, and Lobby for a 5th place for Liverpool

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Enter Liverpool into the Champions League, and drop Everton to the UEFA Cup

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Set up a playoff match between Everton and Liverpool, with the winner entering the Champions League

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

Marc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which of these options should the FA take with regards to the UEFA Champions League next season, provided Liverpool manage to upset Milan in the final?

Personally I think they should have a CL entrance playoff at the Millennium Stadium to decide who gets in, as i do think winning the CL gives a team the right to defend it, but i also believe finishing 4th gives a team that right.

Can I just have an option for Everton without the lobby for an extra place ?

If Everton come 4th they should definitely qualify unconditionally - they have played all season with the knowledge that a 4th place finish will give them a champions league entry. Similarly Liverpool have known all along that as it stands finishing 5th isn't enough - whether they beat AC Milan or not. Maybe the FA should ask for a 5th place for Liverpool but I can't see that happening.

JohnG said:
Can I just have an option for Everton without the lobby for an extra place ?

heh. not a liverpool fan then? i put it like that cos the FA are bound to at least try for a 5th spot if they let Everton have the 4th otherwise Liverpool will be the 2nd team (After Man Utd) to be at odds with the FA.

Whoever is in 4th spot at the end of the season should qualify, you can't move the goal posts (no pun intended!) at this stage.

The FA should lobby for a 5th place if Liverpool beat AC Milan though as I believe the winners of the CL should be allowed to defend it. The rules should then be looked at over the summer and changed to prevent a similar situation happening again.

Being a Jock - whats the Champions League ?? (onnly kidding).
Seriously, you cant move the goal posts. 4th place should get it no debate.
HOWEVER, why the hell is it not automatic entry for the winners anyway !!!! It should be !!! Look at the World Cup, you only have to host it to get automatic entry.
Being a neutral, Everton should be rewarded for what is an incredible season and good luck to Liverpool in the final.

I think though that the Champions League should perhaps be renamed to 'top 4 league'. Lets be honest, should it not really be the Champions only for every country and previous winners ?? IMO England/Italy/Spain do well to get 4 (maybe 5 teams next year) in this competition considering its name.
Dont get me wrong, it's a fantastic competition and I really enjoy watching it, but its not a Champions League is it

Crazy Snake Man said:
they could but unlikely as the toffees only need one point now from 2 games.

Both very hard games for Everton to get a point from. Arsenal and the Mighty Magnificent awesome Bolton away.

All be over if Liverpool don't get 3 points against the gunners tomorrow though

Crazy Snake Man said:
they could but unlikely as the toffees only need one point now from 2 games.

Oh, didn't realise that!

The FA policy last year was that the CL winners qualify ahead of the 4th placed team, they shouldn't change at this late stage. Rules are rules ;)

According to the FA they didn't change the rules, the policy that was posted last year was made by someone in a junior posistion in error.

How someone in a junior posistion actually manages to upload content to the main face of the FA beggers belief.

amazing how many times that old line comes out on major issues.

It was up for over a year! Posted on the 10th of March 2004 and deleted Yesterday after the press highlighted it.

Jeff said:
It was up for over a year! Posted on the 10th of March 2004 and deleted Yesterday after the press highlighted it.

I know Jeff, But that was the statement they came out with. :D

Johnny Thunder said:
After Germany 2006, hosts and Champions have to qualify.

Johnny.

This was brought about when France complained about having no serious matches for 4 years inbetween world cups, hence their poor performance.

marc_angelus said:
heh. not a liverpool fan then? i put it like that cos the FA are bound to at least try for a 5th spot if they let Everton have the 4th otherwise Liverpool will be the 2nd team (After Man Utd) to be at odds with the FA.
John is a a Forest fan & I am saying nothing !

Come on Everton!

If Everton get 4th (which is looking very likely now, after yesterdays win) I really hope UEFA give Liverpool an extra place in the Champions League. The FA have already said the top 4 will be given the positions so the only way Liverpool will get in is if UEFA make a special dispensation. This is all assuming Liverpool beat Juventus of course!

We already beat Juventus ;)

arsenal winning 2-0 so fourth place vanishing before liverpool's eye's - they better hope for special ruling by UEFA!

Apart from being a Liverpool fan and being completely biased I think if Liverpool can manage to win the Champions' League they deserve to be in next season's Champions' League by default.

To be honest I'm one of the people who really thinks that the Champions' League should only consist of champions either by winning it all by winning or by winning the top league of whichever country. Anyway winning the Champions League is a lot more deserving than finishing 4th in the Premiership by any stretch of the imagination as I'm sure Arsenal can attest to that! In fact even man Utd and Chelsea would agree.

Personally I think it demeans the Champions' League if the holders do not defend their title but that is up to Uefa.

lurker75 said:
Anyway winning the Champions League is a lot more deserving than finishing 4th in the Premiership by any stretch of the imagination as I'm sure Arsenal can attest to that! In fact even man Utd and Chelsea would agree.

Now as a Liverpool fan you're bound to say that - however I do agree that it's rediculous that the champions can't come back to challenge to retain the Champions League.

Still think this may all be immaterial as Liverpool still have to beat AC Milan and it's away from Anfield - which they seem to be struggling with lately.

Is it true that the holders and hosts of the world cup will have to qualify? Can you imagine a world cup where the hosts aren't even playing in the tournament - wave goodbye to crowd attendances and atmosphere for that one then!

Here's a scenario...

Liverpool beat AC Milan.

After some more wrangling a 5th spot is found and they are allowed to compete in next year's CL.

Everton get knocked out in the CL qualifiers.

= Liverpool in the CL, and Everton in the UEFA Cup.

:) ...PJ

That sounds good PJ!

Personally I've resigned to that even if Liverpool win the Champions' League its Uefa Cup football next season.

I agree Andrew Dolphin Liverpools form has been patchy away from home this season in the premiership but in the Champions' League it's been another matter altogether. I can't see any reason why we don't stand an excellent chance in winning in Istanbul since we've knocked out Chelsea and Juventus along a way which is no easy feat.

Does anybody know if ITV are showing the Champions' League final?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom