Liverpool, areas to avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Heading to Liverpool for a few days next month to go to a fight in the Echo Arena.

Never been before, and it looks like I'll be travelling with a friends son who is only 19 so I want to make sure I don't get him killed...

Any particular areas to avoid? Because he's a student I'm trying to keep the price reasonable but there's a few decent looking places on Airbnb that are fairly close to the arena so might work well.

This is the list I'm getting at Airbnb when I search.

Screenshot_20180405-004725_Airbnb.jpg

Anywhere around the Baltic Triangle would be my suggestion and avoid the options around Everton if you can.

I’m well travelled and have seen some sights but driving through Everton from Aintree is something else, quite unnerving and this was during the daytime.

I last stayed in the city back in November, paid £60.00/night for a cracking hotel 5 mins walk from Lime Street, 10 mins walk from the docks and the arena.....I’ll dig out its name

Best Western Premier
The Richmond Hotel
24 Hatton Garden,
Liverpool,
L3 2AN

And during the winter sale I paid £48.00/night inc breakfast....worth checking out I’d suggest

If you are travelling by coach, stay away from Anfield.

aye, the baltic triangle would be your best bet for the arena...

i wouldn't go for the dorrit street one personally - as above, if you have a specific list we can narrow down...the city centre's seen most of the regeneration so some of the surrounding areas are very run down now but there are some good spots (like most cities, i suppose)

i'd avoid the air bnbs going up townsend lane as well...

We go to Liverpool once a year to visit our hubcaps.

I recommend going when it's freezing - as most of the locals will have their hands in their own pockets..

last time I was there was back in 2002 ish...and we booked a B&B via the internet (which was primitive then) and we had to select a time we'd be arriving..

we arrived an hour late and knocked on the door - the guy who answered was a typical sterotype with a big moustache and shellsuit - he asked who we were and wasn't happy we were a bit late (was only around 6pm) anyway...

turns out the place was a big dosshouse - and we hid our suitcase behind the wardrobe...and not even sure we stayed the night either as we were going to a house party there...

I lived on Duke Street for 7 years until 2012. Anywhere city-centre based is going to be absolutely fine. Go back there quite a bit too, as we have friends and family in those parts.

There's a horrible vibe about trouble in Liverpool, that I've never seen in my time there at all. Having lived in Manchester for a few years too, I can say Liverpool is a more friendly place to be (in my opinion). City centre makes most sense for the Echo arena and you can't go wrong with most options - plenty of apartments available to rent for weekends and the like.

As people have said, further afield is less desirable, but is no different to any city in that aspect. I'd be more concerned about the longer commute time to the waterfront, than the area you're going to sleep in (given you're likely to stay city-centre in the daytime).

If further afield is the only option you have, Sefton Park is a nice area to stay, given the greenery. It's also quite an easy route to the M62 when you head out of the city, as leaving from other routes (city centre - looking at you!) can be frustrating. That was my only gripe from living in the L1 postcode - commute to Cheshire was 50 miles each way every day, and the longest part was the last few miles into the city.

I lived on Duke Street for 7 years until 2012. Anywhere city-centre based is going to be absolutely fine. Go back there quite a bit too, as we have friends and family in those parts.

There's a horrible vibe about trouble in Liverpool, that I've never seen in my time there at all. Having lived in Manchester for a few years too, I can say Liverpool is a more friendly place to be (in my opinion). City centre makes most sense for the Echo arena and you can't go wrong with most options - plenty of apartments available to rent for weekends and the like.

As people have said, further afield is less desirable, but is no different to any city in that aspect. I'd be more concerned about the longer commute time to the waterfront, than the area you're going to sleep in (given you're likely to stay city-centre in the daytime).

If further afield is the only option you have, Sefton Park is a nice area to stay, given the greenery. It's also quite an easy route to the M62 when you head out of the city, as leaving from other routes (city centre - looking at you!) can be frustrating. That was my only gripe from living in the L1 postcode - commute to Cheshire was 50 miles each way every day, and the longest part was the last few miles into the city.

Its not too bad now heading out onto the M62,
If you are coming in from runcorn also quite quick don’t forget your bridge toll will need paying (not sure which payment methods are accepted sorry)
Same goes via wirral there is a tunnel toll £1:70 last time I came through, there are manned booths who will give you change to feed into the machine there
I meant to say earlier its quite a way from outlying areas where some of the hotels airbnb’s were so yes deffo best to stay close to the city centre which is not massive and you can easily wander round and see most of the sights -main notable attractions- architecture on foot

i was quite cynical about the new bridge (especially when the blimming thing was being built..;) ) but i've used it a fair few times now and love it...it's payable on the merseyflow website (and, i believe, at runcorn town hall) and is easy to pay - you just have to remember to do it..;)

Its not too bad now heading out onto the M62,
If you are coming in from runcorn also quite quick don’t forget your bridge toll will need paying (not sure which payment methods are accepted sorry)
Same goes via wirral there is a tunnel toll £1:70 last time I came through, there are manned booths who will give you change to feed into the machine there
I meant to say earlier its quite a way from outlying areas where some of the hotels airbnb’s were so yes deffo best to stay close to the city centre which is not massive and you can easily wander round and see most of the sights -main notable attractions- architecture on foot

Wirral side is not a bad shout, as you can get the ferry across, but these cease to operate early evening so no good for getting back after a boxing match :( (as it happens, I used to work on the ferries as a student as a summer job, throwing the ropes out and tying up the boats for passenger commutes).

As you say, architecture is impressive - it has more Georgian buildings than Bath does and the three graces are great if you've never seen them before.

Wirral side is not a bad shout, as you can get the ferry across, but these cease to operate early evening so no good for getting back after a boxing match :( (as it happens, I used to work on the ferries as a student as a summer job, throwing the ropes out and tying up the boats for passenger commutes).

As you say, architecture is impressive - it has more Georgian buildings than Bath does and the three graces are great if you've never seen them

It’s sad to hear people on about hubcaps and stuff, Yes in the late 70’s and 80’s-90’s there was a heroin epidemic in most towns and stuff was stolen to fuel users needs but most of those lot are either dead or very nearly so infact 39-49 year olds have very high mortality rates lately (I read only yesterday)
The town centre is quite safe now just like eny other town probably
Bar london with the gangbanging street thieves!!!!!
Our main problem is litter can be yukky in some areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom