Live Update on Sky + Installation

robbierroy

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a live update on my Sky + installation.
The Sky whitevanman arrive as promised at 2.00pm and had a quick look at the existing installation and wiring. He has hust been up to the loft to run the new cabling for sky +. I gave him a hand to pull it through the roof where necessary.

I quizzed him about leaving the existing LNB and pointing it to another satellite so I could use existing box to receive FTA foreign channels (for a backhander!) but no deal.
He has just been up to the Sky dish and fitted the LNB. I wonder what Sky + box I will get???????????????

Right now he is drilling holes to route the cables through walls. He also broght up the packaging with the sky box inside. Hmmm....... it is Sky packaging and I cant tell what is inside!!!

As he places the cable round the skirting (damn - more cables) I quizz him about my TV link to bedroom - turns out I need a new Sky + remote.

He is now routing the cable to the existing sky box beside the TV and unplugging it. Ooooh - the new box is coming out of its wrapping - its a Thompson 80Gb box!!!

Is he curious that you are talking to him and typing as well? Is he getting paranoid? :D

The bew box is now fixed up and the viewing card is in and the channels are beeing scanned and the sky callback is registering the viewing card with the box. I have a "wrong card for the set top box" message and the installer is phoning sky.
He is asking for a card to be paired up.... I notice that I have Software version 1.31AOE and epg version 1.30.n The Thomson model is 123_118 and version number 4E2102.

Jules1975 said:
Is he curious that you are talking to him and typing as well? Is he getting paranoid? :D
No he thinks I am doing emails!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Everything is working now and he has given me a quick (very quick) demonstration. I think tonight will be spent with the manual and the remote!!!
I have just checked out the TV link in the bedroom and found that I had no signal. After retuningthe TV, I got the Sky signal, but a new remote is required as I mentioned. I think a quick visit to Maplins is in order.

Before leaving, he fixed up my digital optical connection from the Sky + box to the JVC Home cinema DVD unit.
Right I'm off to Maplins for a second Sky + remote!

Just got back from Maplins - I bought a replica Sky+ remote - it is an SLx Replacement Remote for use with SKy (bye, bye sky!) and Sky+. Good value for £9.99
I tried out the TV link at the tv in the bedroom with the remote that came with the sky+ box and .... nothing. Checked that the RF 2 power was enabled in the services menu of Sky+ box - it was. This left me puzzled! As a last resort I checked where the guy who did the installation had connected the YV link cable - and guess what? - he had connected it to the RF 1 output and not the RF 2 output! After connecting it to the RF 2 connection, I could then change channels in the bedroom. Heaven!

I have to say, the installation went smoothly and was completed in an hour. Good work.
Now where is the manual.......?
Regards
Robbierroy

:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

robbierroy said:
Just got back from Maplins - I bought a replica Sky+ remote - it is an SLx Replacement Remote for use with SKy (bye, bye sky!) and Sky+. Good value for £9.99
I tried out the TV link at the tv in the bedroom with the remote that came with the sky+ box and .... nothing. Checked that the RF 2 power was enabled in the services menu of Sky+ box - it was. This left me puzzled! As a last resort I checked where the guy who did the installation had connected the YV link cable - and guess what? - he had connected it to the RF 1 output and not the RF 2 output! After connecting it to the RF 2 connection, I could then change channels in the bedroom. Heaven!
Robbierroy, please excuse a simple question but... I haven't got a remote for the TV in my bedroom yet, so what do I need to buy? Is it the TV Link piece of kit you have plus a separate remote? And... what's the bit about the RF1 & RF2 all about? :( Rich...

Sounds like a good installation.
My installation was a joke, despite my previous system being installed by a man in a Sky van when I upgraded to Sky+, Mr L.A. ZeeBones of Bodgit Aerials claimed everything was non standard, so I cabled to my lounge whilst he connected to the LNB. I also had multi room for my daughter which resulted in a cable going all the way around my semi from farthest back point to halfway around the front (looked bloody awful - the moment he'd gone I stripped it off and re cabled internally), he didn't show me how to use the kit, I couldn't record or pause that night when he'd gone, I had to call Sky to activate my Sky+ subscription, he connected to my telephone system without enquiring if I had ADSL - therefore no filters in place!
Mind you it was a "free" installation. He also charged me for the extra cable he used but his figures for when the excess length charges started were lower than what my letter from Sky stated. Whilst this only came to £7.00 it probably went in his pocket. I would like to know what they charge Sky for the work.

looks like he is busy fiddling with his sky+ box mate

The RF1 and RF2 are just the aerial outputs on the back of the sky box, use the RF1 for where the box is situated and connecting another aerial lead into RF2 with the tv link on the end will allow you to watch sky and change channels in another room.

A great bit of kit it is to

Rich5ltr said:
Robbierroy, please excuse a simple question but... I haven't got a remote for the TV in my bedroom yet, so what do I need to buy? Is it the TV Link piece of kit you have plus a separate remote? And... what's the bit about the RF1 & RF2 all about? :( Rich...

Rich - you need a Sky TV Link (Magic Eye) - see http://www.thedigiboxshop.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=107, for example. Your loca lelectrical dealer, Tv shop, Maplins etc will have them in stock. You need to run a cable from your sky box (from RF 2) to your second TV. It is dead easy to set up if you can be bothered running coax cableing. You can then buy a second Sky remote (or a replica - £9.99, see earlier in this thread) to change sky channels on your second TV. Is is a simple, low cost solution.
Hope this helps

Fuzzybee - you were right :rotfl:
I seem to have it sussed, but time will tell.
Robbierroy

Going to preempt Rob on this one - you can buy a sky link pack for about £25 I think, that has a spare sky remote, and an "eye" which the coaxial cable from the sky box passes through. You then point to the eye with the new remote, and hey presto you can control the sky box. The eye sends the remote signals down the coax back to the sky box. Another nice feature is that the sky box can be set to output a different screen type to the rf output if an eye is plugged in, so you can have a widescreen output via scart in the living room to your widescreen tv and a 4:3 image sent to the bedroom if you want to.

As for the RF thing, I was unaware of this, but it seems that this only works if the eye is plugged into the RF1 output and not the RF2.

Rob, can you just check with the old sky remote that you have to check that it doesn't work - I am surprised by this - I would have thought that it would be able to control it as if it were a normal sky box, so without any recording or playback functionality

Ah - missed the fact that there was a page 2. Bugger. I seem stupid now.

And I was wrong on the sky link thing too. Ah well, I don't use it, so how am I supposed to know!

The widescreen / 4:3 thing is right though I think.

The old remote will not work with the new Sky+ box. I retied it just to make sure.
The TV Link option + a £9.99 replacement remot + the cabling is a nice low cost solution, but .... more cables!

PhilElli said:
Sounds like a good installation.
so I cabled to my lounge whilst he connected to the LNB. I also had multi room for my daughter which resulted in a cable going all the way around my semi from farthest back point to halfway around the front (looked bloody awful - the moment he'd gone I stripped it off and re cabled internally), he didn't show me how to use the kit, I couldn't record or pause that night when he'd gone, I had to call Sky to activate my Sky+ subscription, he connected to my telephone system without enquiring if I had ADSL - therefore no filters in place!
Mind you it was a "free" installation. He also charged me for the extra cable he used but his figures for when the excess length charges started were lower than what my letter from Sky stated. Whilst this only came to £7.00 it probably went in his pocket. I would like to know what they charge Sky for the work.
Sounds like Sky should have paid YOU for the installation.
Mine was part of the £65 upgrade deal after threatening to cancel - so far, I am well chuffed.
Robbierroy

plop90 said:
The widescreen / 4:3 thing is right though I think.

Yes, within the Sky Services menu, you can choose the output format to a second screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom