1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Live TV' very stuttery.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by OneEleven, Aug 15, 2005.

1. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally got to get my TV card working :smashin: (after clean install :thumbsdow )
    The problem I have is now every second or so the picture pauses momentarily then jumps forward IYSWIM. Audio seems fine.
    I've tried installing reclock, but this didn't help.
    I've checked CPU and memory usage whilst this is happening and this looks fine (<40% CPU / 400MB out of 1GB memory usage).
    I've tried using a dedicated HDD for TV recording/bufferage, but none of these things work :(

TV card is a Hauppauge PVR250 (retail; not the MCE version).
    PC is 3.0GHz P4, Radeon 9200 gfx, 1GB RAM, 300GB SATA Seagate7200.8, 200GB WesternDigital PATA, PowerDVD6 Codec. DVD playback is fine.
    Anyone able to shed any light on this problem? :lease:

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Try downloading the Nvidia Decoder, its free for 30 days or so, i had the powerdvd to start with and the change in quality when i went to the Nvidia one was amazing.

3. w33bo

w33bo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I just had this problem, what system specs do you have?

My problem was a PCI bridge adapter or something to do with the pci bus and how mce implements it, right click on my computer/properties, go to hardware and then device manager and try to figure out any problems/update your drivers or disable unneeded things. Another thing would be to try like snapstream and see if that works, the dvd decoder (i tried 5 different ones before figuring out my problem) were not doing anything.

good luck, I know how frustrating it is.

4. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta, I'll give that a go - although all devices have the latest drivers installed :s
    Spec is
    PC is 3.0GHz P4
    EQS M45P8-MLF motherboard (ATI Chipset with Radeon 9200 gfx)
    1GB RAM,
    300GB SATA Seagate7200.8,
    200GB WesternDigital PATA
    Creativy Audigy ZS 2
    Hauppauge PVR250.

It's quite frustrating as everything else works wonderfully well :confused:

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    What motherboard/PSU do oyu have, I would suggest a minimum of 230Watts, also make sure the PCI cards are plugged in properly, check they are all the way in, and download the windows media center driver for your radeon card, not the XP driver, I suggest you try out win dvd 7 for the decoder, www.intervideo.com, also what is your video source/feed?, does it work corectly when your set top box/aerial is connected to a standard tv?...

6. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Motherboard - EQS
    Latest MCE motherboard/gfx driver installed (XP driver won't work with MCE)
    all cards are plugged in correctly (on riser supplied with case); the Radeon is built into the chipset
    PSU wattage - not an issue.

Feed is from Sky+ over a medium quality (£50) s-Video cable
    Why do you suggest the WinDVD7 decoder? - I've been through a bit of pain to get this thing showning live TV and don't want to meass around with the CODEC unless I can guarantee some improvement - especially as the CODEC works fine for DVD playback :confused:

7. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Been meaning to pick up one of them EQS boards, them make some decent boards, the one up from yours, i.e the LGA 775 version has the radeon X300 built it, perfect for media center, and it is the most powerfull intergrated motherboard/graphics solution...I tired all the DVD codecs, Win DVD works out the best in terms of quality/brightness...yes it has some flaws, but nothing is perfect...

8. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta - I'll give it a go - nothing ventured and all that - and I'm a bit stuck at the moment :(
    I looked at the 775 version too - unfortunately it won't fit the risers for my case (the mediaPC.tv case) - I can get a PCI x16 Express riser, but there's a PCI Express x1 slot where I need a PCI slot :suicide:

9. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I can't believe people bought that case, I thought it was way to ugly...

10. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's actually pretty good in the flesh - much better than the photos suggest.
    the size of it (slimline) was the main selling point for me - plus it's about £30 cheaper than the Silverstone LC11 which I understand is the same case with a different frontage. Bargain! :smashin:

11. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm tried the WinDVD7 Codec last night - still no joy with a very stuttery picture :( :confused:

updated the drivers for the PVR250 and the gfx and still no joy. :thumbsdow

Any other suggestions before I dig ou tthe sledgehammer? :lease:

12. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    How do you know that PSU wattage is not an issue ?
    Maybe your TV card is faulty can you borrow another to test ?

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    You sure it isn't frame rate conversion? what are you using refresh wise for viewing pal?

14. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be a faulty card - I'll swap it out to my desktop and give it a go

PSU wattage isn't an issue as every other aspect of the machine works flawlessly. Now if it crashed/reset randomly or when I switch to Live TV then maybe yes it could be - unless you know different :confused:

15. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not enough WATTS doeesnt always mean crashing e.g. I can an old PSU wich just was on its way out and the only sign I got with that was bad DVD burns because it didnt have teh power to run the system and do a DVD etc
    Add up your system and see what it says for the minimum PSU just to be on safe side will only take 2 mins.
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=INTEL

16. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That gives me a required PSU of 231W.

I have a 500W PSU kicking around I can try that in there to confirm/eliminate - should only take me 10 mins to try that one out

17. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah its always best to try parts if you have them available as you say so you can rule them out. I would also try external Graphics card aswell if you have one you can borrow.
    Probably easier to try the graphics card before the TV card actually just make sure you disable toth onboard in bios one you have installed external.

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    How bad is the stutter and how often is it happening?

Does it do it slightly but all the time?
    Every few seconds and then pause briefly?
    Every few seconds and then freeze for a second or two?

19. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at least once every 2 seconds and pauses briefly. The same happens with the material I record, when playing back the stutter is always in the same place, which suggests to me a encoding issue rather than a decoding
    I have on 2 occasions had it working perfectly; this happened only after rewinding for a couple of seconds. It doesn't do this all the time.
    Audio is fine

20. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    sounds like a refresh rate problem to me

21. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Maybe there is not enough bandwith on your PCI bus, try removing PCI cards you don't need, I suggest putting your soundcard on the last PCI slot.

I don't know how your hard drives are set up up, I suggest you have one for windows and the other for recording your tv to, also make sure your hard drives are not on the same IDE cable, this would affect perfomance, i.e don't have a master and a slave on the same cable, make them both masters on seperate cables, if you have your DVD drive on one of the IDE ports you need purchase a IDE to SATA adapter and stick one of your hard drives on a SATA port "usually the one you record to"...

A 200Watt, PSU should be enough, but if you got any high speed USB devices this could affect performance, remove usb devices you don't really need, and make sure your cables inside your case are tidy so you have good air flow...

Your graphics card is not guranteed to work with media center, I suggest you pick up a compatible one, the Radeon X700 AGP is about £80 and is verified to be media center compatible

Make sure you try and do all of the above, and update your bios to the latest version, then do a fresh install of windows, you should use all the latest drivers when installing your equipment, which you can get from the manufacturers website, so for your soundblaster go to creative.com to get the drivers.., and for your graphics card go to ati.com, but make sure you get the media center drivers not XP ones..., do not use the drivers on the CD, even for your TV card, the only time you need to use the install CD is when installing the SOund Blaster control panel...

Well that's about as much info I can give you from my past experiences...

22. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how would I change it? (DVD etc. play fine)

23. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyway, it looks like the card is knackered now. When I try and use it I get a 'Media Center Reciever' has a problem and will shut down. Sent report/don't send report etc. :(
    I get a tuner hardware not found when trying to watch live TV.

Time to send it back I think. Shame one of my dogs found a chewed the box to bits last week :suicide: