Live stream quality

Glen1977

Hi I’m watching my local football club on a live stream via my LG b8 web browser. The picture quality is pretty sh*t to be honest. I’m not expecting even HD but is there anything I can do to improve the picture? Ive got sky broadband is there a way to take off devices to allow more bandwidth and a better live stream? Or any cheap gadgets to improve the live stream? I really want to only watch it on my tv in case of any suggestions of watching it via other methods.

SeeMoreDigital

When it comes to accessing/playing hookie streams, there's no quality control.

And discussing such matters is not permissible on this forum...

Glen1977

It’s not a hooky stream, I’m paying for it! Just thought there may be options to improve it or maybe I was not doing something that could affect it. Is it possible to take devices that use your broadband off so it allows more bandwidth for others?

SeeMoreDigital

Please give details?

Glen1977

I have 10 devices connected to my Sky broadband. I thought If I knocked some off temporarily this would free up bandwidth and in turn maybe allow a better quality stream? Or have I got that completely wrong?!

SeeMoreDigital

Without knowing more about who's providing the source content it's impossible to know!

Glen1977

I’m not going to know the exact provider! All I do is to click on a link to pay and the live stream page appears. There are no options to improve or select the quality. Ok not to worry... I knew it was a long shot I’ll just accept it as it is.

Steven

Senior Moderator
When it comes to accessing/playing hookie streams, there's no quality control.

And discussing such matters is not permissible on this forum...
It is very well publicised within the sport that due to fans not being permitted because of Covid 19, EFL clubs are operating a direct streaming model to at least earn some income. If you are not a football fan then you may not know that, but that does not warrant speculation when the forum is meant to be a friendly place

Without knowing the club or the platform, it is not possible to take this discussion any further. For example a Championship club may expect a match to be streamed via Sky. Whereas a lower league side will be using the direct streaming platform

SeeMoreDigital

Without knowing the club or the platform, it is not possible to take this discussion any further. For example a Championship club may expect a match to be streamed via Sky. Whereas a lower league side will be using the direct streaming platform
Indeed...

It doesn't help matters if people don't offer even the most basic information about the streams they are accessing. Such as: The football clubs playing in the match. And the website hosting the streams!

Mallett94

@Glen1977 I can't imagine the web browser built into the TV to be any good tbh. Best bet is probably to access it on a computer/laptop and HDMI it into the TV. Otherwise get the latest Chromecast (Gen 3 or Chromecast with Google TV), and then view the stream using the google chrome browser on a PC or laptop and 'Cast the Tab' to the Chromecast.

I am using iFollow to watch HTFC games (season ticket holder since 2016/17) and I hdmi a chromebook to my TV :)

Xabi17

I am using iFollow to watch HTFC games (season ticket holder since 2016/17) and I hdmi a chromebook to my TV :)
Off topic from LG TVs but how is the quality? I follow Watford but haven't paid to watch any of the streams so far (been on Sky a couple of times) but would be tempted to do so if it was HD. My internet should handle it but my Sky Go isn't fantastic - to be honest it might be my older laptop struggling a bit but would have thought it should suffice - so haven't been tempted.

Mallett94

Off topic from LG TVs but how is the quality? I follow Watford but haven't paid to watch any of the streams so far (been on Sky a couple of times) but would be tempted to do so if it was HD. My internet should handle it but my Sky Go isn't fantastic - to be honest it might be my older laptop struggling a bit but would have thought it should suffice - so haven't been tempted.
It's not bad to be honest. Its of a similar standard to NowTV Sky Sports channels, which are 720p 25 frames per second, without boost pass. What I do is connect the Chromebook to the TV via HDMI. Set the display output resolution to 720p and the refresh rate to 50hz, then full screen the video. This allows my TV to handle the upscaling from 720p to 4K. I also use some of the motion smoothing settings to make it appear as if its more like 50fps. It doesn't do a bad job tbf.

Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom