Live Pause not working

sonysideup

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please help with this one…..my live pause seems to be on the blink. I press it and then it doesn't seem to work for 5 to 10 seconds. It then locks up and I have to press tv guide and select to get out of it. Also, my instant rewind isn't working at all - it just locks on me.
Everything else is recording fine.
I've tried turning off at the wall and that did solve the problem. However, I noticed today the same thing is happening. Has anyone seen this??? And if so has anyone solved it???
Thanks for your help.

There seems to be a problem with some boxes after the recent EPG update. Try powering the box down and up again - this has worked for some people. If not, try doing a "forced firmware update"* - this carries a very small element of risk, because all updates risk problems if they don't download successfully.

*to do a forced update - power down the box. Then press the "backup" button pressed whilst re-applying the power, and keep the button pressed until all the lights on the box light up. You can then remove your finger from the button, and the update will take about 10 minutes to download, after which the box will automatically re-boot. After a further minute or so, you should be able to switch the box back on.

Quite a few people having this and other problems...another thread here

sonysideup said:
Can anyone please help with this one…..my live pause seems to be on the blink. I press it and then it doesn't seem to work for 5 to 10 seconds. It then locks up and I have to press tv guide and select to get out of it. Also, my instant rewind isn't working at all - it just locks on me.
Everything else is recording fine.
I've tried turning off at the wall and that did solve the problem. However, I noticed today the same thing is happening. Has anyone seen this??? And if so has anyone solved it???
Thanks for your help.

Call Sky and complain ... they'll probably try to fob you off and claim that they've never heard of the problem but you can be sure that support issues which could cost them money or lose a customer will be logged.

It's definintely a problem with their OS/EPG update. The more people that complain, the more priority they are likely to give to fixing it.

Gav

I've had this problem too. I disconnected from the mains for a minute and it seemed to cure it, however the problem re-occurred the following day. Tried the power thing again and it has cured the problem but who knows how long for.

i spoke to sky today and they are aware of the problem. they took me through the procedure of switching everything off which i politely tried to explain i had already done. this fixed it for half an hour, then it started going wrong again. the woman on technical support told me they have been inundated with calls this morning (mon). some people have taken an hour to get through. she admitted they couldn't tell me when it would be fixed but she has been told it will be in the near future.
she also stressed there is nothing wrong with the hardwear. it is the software download which is causing the problem.
they now have a team working on it and will send another update to cure the trouble as soon as poss. in the meantime, you have to rely on temporary fixes which is far from ideal.
not sure why they sent the thing out in the first place if it hadn't been checked properly

I read somewhere (DigitalSpy perhaps) that if you turn off instant rewind, save settings, and then set instant rewind to another default time, it sometimes kicks it back into life.
Worked for me where the powering down didn't.

Well, after saying for over a week that I haven't seen this problem, I've at last managed to get my Pace V2 box to do it ! :smashin: :confused: :thumbsdow

The problem seems to be linked to channels that have Dolby Digital sound. If you do a live pause on such a channel (Sky Movies 1, 2 or 3, or the Disney Channel) live pause will fail, and will continue to fail on all the other channels until the box is re-booted.

It would be interesting to know whether anyone who doesn't subscribe to Sky Movies has seen this problem. The best advice seems to be not to pause on these channels for the time being.

Though I have the movie channels I haven't had the live pause problem since discovering the problem just after the update (when a system rebuild cured the problem).

After a good week or so of no problems I managed to get the problem again when watching the A1GP off Sky Sports which I don't think has Dolby Digital.

Although i've posted on the subject elsewhere on the BB, i'd like to add my name to this thread/List of dissatisfied customers. One of the main reasons that i 'upgraded' to Sky+ was for the recording and Live Pause feature, at £52 pm for my current package it isn't cheap, anybody asked for a refund yet ?

I have done the power down thing and it cures it for a day , maybe. The next thing that the Tech guy told me to do if the problem persists is to do a Full 'Installer set-up' and full system re-set/houskeeping (or words to that effect). Unfortunately he told me that this will wipe the HDD so we've been furiously catching up on our saved episodes of favorite programs :) .

I've told 'er indoors that tomorrow is the day for the big clean up. I'm actually looking forward to a good rant on the phone when it doesn't work.

Make sure everybody tells the helpline that they'd like to register this as an official complaint , only when enough folk complain will they get their butts in gear.......

Sid and Coke said:
Although i've posted on the subject elsewhere on the BB, i'd like to add my name to this thread/List of dissatisfied customers. One of the main reasons that i 'upgraded' to Sky+ was for the recording and Live Pause feature, at £52 pm for my current package it isn't cheap, anybody asked for a refund yet ?

I have done the power down thing and it cures it for a day , maybe. The next thing that the Tech guy told me to do if the problem persists is to do a Full 'Installer set-up' and full system re-set/houskeeping (or words to that effect). Unfortunately he told me that this will wipe the HDD so we've been furiously catching up on our saved episodes of favorite programs :) .

I've told 'er indoors that tomorrow is the day for the big clean up. I'm actually looking forward to a good rant on the phone when it doesn't work.

Make sure everybody tells the helpline that they'd like to register this as an official complaint , only when enough folk complain will they get their butts in gear.......

Absolutely, in one fell swoop Sky have managed to sh*g virtually all aspects of Sky+ .....

* Timeslip (ie live pause) is screwed up
* Scheduled recordings often start failing after the pause problem kicks in
* Even watching stuff you have managed to record is a PITA because you seem to be randomly asked for your PIN code.

Everybody who gets the problem: Go the the Sky+ website and leave feedback. Preferably also call their tech support line and have a rant. Tell them you'll quit for freeview if they don't get it sorted. It'll (a) Make you feel better and (b) Maybe scare them into doing something.

Gav

Just registered my disgust in writing via the Sky+ website Technical 'general enquiries' form. I was filled the online form out whilst waiting for 25 minutes to talk to somebody on the phone to complain (again).

I indulged the girly by allowing her to talk me through another power down ( this time reversing my scart lead - Ixos gold series, recently inspected and thoroughly cleaned using de-oxit D5 :rolleyes: ).

She then had the nerve to insult my intelligence further by telling my i was the first person to complain about this problem, I didn't call her a ****ing lying beach ( ;) ) outright, although i did say that i found that comment hard to believe, given the amount of internet traffic on this subject at the moment.

Oh yeah, I also pointed out on my form that recording facility and live pause is the main reason folk get Sky+ , and in this respect as these where the facilities that don't work can i have some money back . i suggest you do the same.....
:mad:

Also had this happen :(
Can't remember if we paused on a Dolby D channel to begin with though.
However, since I switched it off it's been ok...so far....

I don't have the movie or disney channels, and I *think* they're the only channels with Dolby Digital, so that's not what caused it for me either.

Maybe it's channels with a higher bitrate ? The live pause on my box works fine on BBC, ITV, C4, etc, but on Sky Movies, the first time I use live pause, the box gets corrupted. I'm not a sports subscriber, so I can't test on that.

I have the pause problem too :(

Just registered my disgust in writing via the Sky+ website Technical 'general enquiries' form. I was filled the online form out whilst waiting for 25 minutes to talk to somebody on the phone to complain (again).

I indulged the girly by allowing her to talk me through another power down ( this time reversing my scart lead - Ixos gold series, recently inspected and thoroughly cleaned using de-oxit D5 ).

She then had the nerve to insult my intelligence further by telling my i was the first person to complain about this problem, I didn't call her a ****ing lying beach ( ) outright, although i did say that i found that comment hard to believe, given the amount of internet traffic on this subject at the moment.

Oh yeah, I also pointed out on my form that recording facility and live pause is the main reason folk get Sky+ , and in this respect as these where the facilities that don't work can i have some money back . i suggest you do the sam

Top man :smashin:

Nick_UK said:
Maybe it's channels with a higher bitrate ? The live pause on my box works fine on BBC, ITV, C4, etc, but on Sky Movies, the first time I use live pause, the box gets corrupted. I'm not a sports subscriber, so I can't test on that.

It was sports I first had the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom