• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LIVE Gold Sub. expiring issue or not?

Waynej

Distinguished Member
My LIVE Gold is scheduled to run out in March, and I was in two minds to let it do just that and enjoy some time on online and catch-up on some PC and PS3 multiplayer games for a while. I've some concerns though, as I recall reading something a long-while back about gamertag's transferred from Xbox to Xbox 360, and how they are auto-billed 12mths Gold each year. If there's a problem with the assigned card (expired etc.), then I remember reading horror stories of peoples gamertag's becoming corrupt. Silver I can live with for a while, but losing the account is a big no-no.

Does anyone know if this is still a problem? I really hate how you can't remove your assosiated card from the Account Management of your gamertag. Billing states 'Not Set' or something along those lines, so I don't think it will attempt to auto-bill me for 12mths Gold, but I'm not too sure. I'd like to think that if it ran out that it would just revert me to Silver where I can upgrade to Gold again at a later date. It's just I recall reading of this specific problem of account that were originally on the Xbox 1 console and moved over to the 360.

markie g

Distinguished Member
you will need to ring microsoft and get them to remove your card from their system, i believe thats the only way of doing it.

Call: 0800 587 1102

Waynej

Distinguished Member
you will need to ring microsoft and get them to remove your card from their system, i believe thats the only way of doing it.

Call: 0800 587 1102

I've just checked again on my 360 and it displays as such:

End Date: 03/2009
Renewal: Not Set
Renewal Cost: N/A
Payment: Card ***********

If Renewal is 'not set' as indicated, then I would assume that my account would automatically revert down to Silver once the Gold expires. While the card, which is showing an expired date on the Xbox, is still linked to the account, I'd hope that this is not a problem, I'dbe more concerned if there was a Renewal set in place to auto add Gold after expiration.

My concern here was of the horror stories I read sometime ago, regarding gamertags transferred from the Xbox 1 to Xbox 360, and the Gold service running out, apparently there was/is a problem with these accounts becoming completely unusable once the Gold service has expired. Has anyone heard of this specific concerning issue?

I could just cough £25 for 12 months on ebay, as I do play online frequently, though I wouldn't mind doing without for a short while, at least I'd like to know this info for future reference, as I'd like to let it run into silver at some point, if not anytime soon.

Waynej

Distinguished Member

Chers for that, there appears to be no way to remove the credit card though. It does state an important message for me though, that the credit card has expired. Iwould hope the account would revert down to Silver, and would hope that they would not attempt to take payment automatically anyway. I don't believe they should have the right to auto bill anyone every single year without consent, sure I expect a reminder message or something informing to make payment to keep the Gold service going.

My concern here though is the horror stories of people losing their account because MS can't take payment for a Gold service, I would hope that in these events the account should just revert to Silver.

Noone here seems to know about this problem though, I expect someone on here must have had their account moved from xbox to Xbox 360 and has gone down to Silver at some point, I just want to know if I can expect any issues?

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
i originally made my account on a normal xbox and when i got my 360 i recovered my GT, i entered a credit card and it automatically renews off that though i get emails telling me its about to renew and it has renewed

a friend of mine the credit card linked to his accoutn expired, M$ kept him as gold and tried to take the money - he stayed gold for a couple of days until M$ realised they could not get the money and he ws put to silver, he then went to a shop and bought a 3 month card for 14.99

hope something here helps

i have removed a credit card on that site i cant remember how but a new credit card was linked and i just wanted to rid of the old one from the payment methods

Waynej

Distinguished Member
i originally made my account on a normal xbox and when i got my 360 i recovered my GT, i entered a credit card and it automatically renews off that though i get emails telling me its about to renew and it has renewed

a friend of mine the credit card linked to his accoutn expired, M$ kept him as gold and tried to take the money - he stayed gold for a couple of days until M$ realised they could not get the money and he ws put to silver, he then went to a shop and bought a 3 month card for 14.99

hope something here helps

i have removed a credit card on that site i cant remember how but a new credit card was linked and i just wanted to rid of the old one from the payment methods

Cheers for that, if I don't pick a 12month Sub up before it runs out (depends on if Gears 2 is fixed), beginning of March, then I'll ring up to have the card removed, and double check with them that it reverts to Silver, as I obviously don't want to lose the account.

shaun n

Established Member
ive never put my card details in to my xbox 360,but i think i saw some were that you can erase your card details via xbox.com,if im wrong im sure some one on here will tell me.shaun:)

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
no, you are right shaun it has now been added that there is a way to remove your credit card details on xbox.com

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom