Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

"Live At Budokan" - Dream Theater

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by PaulBoy, Dec 28, 2004.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I asked "Santa" for this DVD for Christmas & the big fat bearded one delivered (well Play did!) I haven't seen any talk of the DVD here and was a bit concerned that the DVD was cack but I am pleased to report it is (IMO) superb :smashin:
    DT annoyed the hell out of me (& others) by releasing previous DVDS without 5.1 sound (although the 2 other DT DVDS I have have more than acceptable 2 channel audio) "Live at Budokan" has 2 channel & 5.1 and both sound excellent IMHO
    Disk 1 - The concert (filmed in 2004) is a few minutes shy of 3 hours long
    Tracklisting as follows:- As I Am / This Dying Soul / Beyond This Life / Hollow Years / War Inside My Head / The Test That Stumped Them All / Endless Sacrifice / Instrumedley / Trial Of Tears / New Millenium / Keyboard Solo / Only A Matter Of Time / Goodnight Kiss / Solitary Shell / Stream Of Consciousness / Disappear / Pull Me Under / In The Name Of God
    Filmed in anamorphic widescreen & worth noting that the editing is good & does not suffer from MTV style "jumping around so you never see what the fudge anyone is doing" syndrome ... so lots of good close-ups when JP is melting the guitar fretboard :D
    Disk 2 - Some decent extras - documentary of the tour / a bit about the guitar & keyboard setups / a drum solo / multiangle version of Instrumedley track / 2004 Tour opening video (extras mostly in 4:3 & 2 channel audio)
    Essential viewing for DT fans (& possibly other non-believers?)
    Paul ;)

2. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    its dream theatre

if i wanted to hear a 20 minute guitar solo id listen to it, as it is i dont, thus ill listen to decent music thanks! :hiya:

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Isn't personal opinion a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

4. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    yep it sure is! :eek:

5. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Whilst I believe Dream Theater can sometimes go a bit over the top in some of their performances, I think a '20 minute guitar solo' is quite impressive. :D I would certainly describe it as 'decent music' so that remark seems a bit loose, mr jones.

And by the way, it is 'Dream TheatER', not Dream Theatre, so don't try and be smart :nono:

6. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    sorry i dont see 20minute widdling at 180bpm as being impressive in the slightest :D

but thats my opinion, and as everyone is aware IM ENTITLED TO IT wether you agree or not.

do you pick on people in wheelchairs for being disabled??? no didnt think you would
    dont pick on peoples spelling on the internet to get one up manship, for all you know they may be dyslexic or whatever, it doesnt make you look clever :lesson:. and also stating (as you by all intents and purposes did) that my opinion is invalid because i cant spell, is a very very sad trait indeed :clown:

7. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :boring:

You were the one who first mentioned the spelling, I merely pointed out that it had been spelt correctly in the first place.

Back to the DVD and I've heard it and it is pretty good, good sound and show, nice selection of songs from the past few albums, and a couple of frantic solos to p*** mr jones off :rotfl:

8. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

sadly i was spelling it correctly, i am in the UK and as far as im aware words like theatre, centre etc are spelt differently to how they prefer to spell words in the good old US, and as such i couldnt really give a flying funk(sorry ive just watch the outtakes from shaun of the dead) wether they choose to spell it the english way or the americanised (or rather should i say americaniZed) way bothers me not in the slightest and shows nothing about weather im being "smart" or not

9. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

i never stated that it wasnt spelt differently it was in a "its dream theatRE what do you expect" way and nothing to do with his spelling. obviously id have considered that people with a superior interlect like yourself (after all im stupid, i cant even get the hang of americaniZations) would have understood that

10. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :thumbsup:

11. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well Happy New Year everyone!
    How many threads have we seen where someone tries to be smart and ends up looking like an ejit ;) (I'm sure if I had spelled Dream Theater in "English" someone would have flamed me to say I had spelled it wrong)
    I was only trying to help anyone who might consider buying the DVD - If you don't like DT that's your perogative but why not keep your "amusing" remarks to yourself & leave the thread for people with a genuine point of view (at least FloodedS has actually seen the DVD) ... Paul ;)
    Oh and btw none of the guitar solos are more than 2 minutes (mr jones is obviously confusing DT with some other band - possible Lead Zepaulin :blush: )

12. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I like Dream Theater and have the Budokan DVD. Unfortunately I haven't had time to watch it yet, but I just thought I'd add to some of the other pointless comments in this thread.

Sorry PaulBoy, I am a DT fan, and thought Train Of Thought was much better then the previous 'Six Degrees...' album. I only wish there was a bit more from Scenes From A Memory on the Budokan DVD. The Spirit Carries On does seem conspicuous in it's absence, IMO.

13. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Simon6776 - I sort of understand what you are saying about Scenes from a Memory but their DVD "Metropolis 2000" has that whole show "live" so I guess they may have taken the view that they would put as much new stuff on the Budokan DVD rather than cover old ground again - despite the fact that "Metropolis 2000" is not in 5.1 the SQ is v/good IMHO & once again there are some great extras including about an hour of extra live performances (referred to on the disc as "deleted scenes") ... Paul ;)

14. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Paulboy, yes I know, I have it. :) I just mean that TSCO is such a great, uplifting song, it would be great as a concert closer.