Little Pioneer Advice Please

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently considering a KRP-500A or PDP-LX5090 and had a quick question. I know all about the blacks and have huge respect for Pioneer's achievements in this area. What I have noticed is modern screens seemed to be all about the 100s of Hz available for smoother movement. This is something I haven't really seen Pioneer talk about (or specify on their website). How do the Pioneers measure up to the competition in this respect?

100Hz on plasmas reduces flicker, it doesn't reduce motion blurring like on LCDs, this is because there is no (or very very little) motion blurring to reduce, Pioneers in my opinion are the top dog for motion as well as picture quality in many respects but there are several things to consider for motion on plasma. There is very little phosphor trailing/lag on the Pioneers which is one of the downfalls on the Panasonics, however, Panasonic boast the potential for a full 1080 lines of motion resolution in their NeoPDP, which is quite a claim. Anywho, the Pioneers are great, just get one before they run out! the KRP 500s are particularly hard to find at the moment.

EDIT: The 600Hz subfield on the new Panasonics is supposed to improve motion smoothness, if that has something to do with the 1080 lines of motion res I'm not sure...it's a complicated world!

Here's what 'Which' say about Pioneer plasmas in a mini review.
Does anyone have the full review?

My experience with a 5090 echoes what Which said in their report.

These TVs are overhyped and the picture quality simply isn't as good as you might expect.

Pioneer plasma TVs fail to match the best TVs from Sony and Panasonic

Moderator note: Text removed - please respect copyright laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently considering a KRP-500A or PDP-LX5090 and had a quick question. I know all about the blacks and have huge respect for Pioneer's achievements in this area. What I have noticed is modern screens seemed to be all about the 100s of Hz available for smoother movement. This is something I haven't really seen Pioneer talk about (or specify on their website). How do the Pioneers measure up to the competition in this respect?

Hi kevin. :)
Pioneers 100Hz mode seems fine to be :smashin: from what little use i've given it anyway.
All the best.

And Which? are renowned for their spot on reviews :rolleyes: :laugh:

Well I've reviewed my 5090 for over a month now and it's not such a great TV IMO.

Also, I think 'Midori' is a more accurate name than 'Kuro' for the Pioneer plasma TVs :smashin:

And Which? are renowned for their spot on reviews :rolleyes: :laugh:

:rotfl: quite the opposite in my opinion!

There was something else that I was going to mention. There have been a few reports from people that they get judder, this does happen but if you set it up even close to correctly it doesn't, although I don't know anyone who owns one so I don't know if it's an issue which will appear over time or something, I am just regurgitating what several other people have said here.

Here's a review of the 5090 from trusted reviews, who are generally good - Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 50in Plasma TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews
HDTV test, who are good - Pioneer PDP-LX5090 Review: Kuro 50" HD 1080p Plasma TV
and cnet - Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 Full Review, Television Reviews on CNET UK

There's also the KRP 500 at trusted reviews - Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A 50in Plasma TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews
and cnet - Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A Full Review, Television Reviews on CNET UK
and don't forget the AVF guys - Pioneer KRP-500A 50inch Full HD 1080 Kuro Plasma Review at AVForums.com (notice how everything, apart from sound, which is N/A, is reference level)

To be honest I haven't seen a better set

Which? should stick to reviewing washing machines and microwave ovens. They have absolutely no idea how to review TVs. The TVs can be calibrated to enhance their PQ, I'm sure they have no clue how to do that! :rolleyes:

:D
Because mine has a tendency on some dim scenes to look a bit green.

I've seen other reviewers say the same.

Get it calibrated then. Or just turn green down yourself. My set looked a bit green using the settings provided by bumptious but there simply isn't a hint of it since it's been calibrated.

Which? should stick to reviewing washing machines and microwave ovens. They have absolutely no idea how to review TVs. The TVs can be calibrated to enhance their PQ, I'm sure they have no clue how to do that! :rolleyes:
Lol:rotfl:
I agree- you have to see which's Plasma VS lcd thingy.:eek::thumbsdow
LCD vs plasma TVs - TV, music and radio - Which? Advice

Plasma. lcd facts is better and more detailed- infact they did a test and most people preferred plasma:cool::smashin:
http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.eu/

I would be interested to see a review of a tv they liked, just for comparison purposes

I would be interested to see a review of a tv they liked, just for comparison purposes
But you've got to subscribe:thumbsdow
Why pay when you can get better reviews for free on here?:smashin:

My 42" Panny PZ was marginally better at motion handling than the 5090. But the Panny was also a smaller screen so perhaps I didn't notice as much.

One of the biggest plus point for me with the Pioneer is that even with the curtains open, the picture does not wash out. Something that the Panny always did with any sort of ambient or natural lighting.

Picture quality on the 5090 is also better on the whole, though with SD content the Panny had a little less picture noise. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom