1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Otik

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by James45, Jun 14, 2003.

1. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.playserver2.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=105347

Got Jan Svankmayer's darkly comic surreal story of a mother determined to have a baby no matter what this morning and watched it straight away.
    Wow! It's one of the most surprising, inventive and fresh films I have seen in years.

Blurb from Play

"Based on a Czech folk tale, Jan Svankmajer's most accessible film is the story of Karel and Bozena, a married couple who long to have a baby. Whilst digging up an tree stump, Karel decides to carve the roots into the image of a child; when his melancholy childless wife sees it her love brings the wooden form to life..."

what it doesn't say is that Otik has an insatiable appetite and starts eating everything and everyone in site.

But don't think that this is a horror film though, to be honest I'm not sure what I'd call it. Czech surrealist animator Svankmajer directs with great skill (his script is also first rate) and his actors give some excellent performances.

Otik is represented with Svankmajer's own brand of surreal stop motion (i'm guessing there though) animation which will be instantly recognisable to anyone familiar with his work. A quick plea to newcomers though, please don't say "the effects were crap though" because the animation is supposed to look like that.

It's certainly not mainstream film-making but at the same time its not as odd as I was expecting. An absolute bargain for £7.99.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the disk specs?

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stereo and 4:3, still that's the OAR tho.

strangely enough the original cinema mix was Dolby Digital EX, very unusual for such a small film. Barebones release as well. But IMO the film is well worth the price.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well if it's OAR that's okay.

The fact it's stop motion puts me off more than anything. It sounds like a darker version of Bagpuss :D

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, no it's a proper film, it's just the baby is stop motion and you don't actually see much of him. I'd say 99% of the film is live action. think of it as a proper film and a very good one at that.

could you do my a favour and try the UPC in DVDprofiler? its not showing on mine and don't know whether it's my database or no available profile causing the problem.
    It's 014138295967 cheers

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No that UPC doesn't work.

There is one in there already that looks like it's not UK although it's marked as such. It's 595007017660.

You should create the record yourself though and upload it. Shouldn't take you 5 mins and it's only fair on everyone else :D (can't tell you how many I've had to create from scratch :rolleyes: )

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will do, I just didn't want to create a duplicate profile. cheers.

so are you going for it?

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe in a trade or if it goes cheaper. Got so much on order at the moment, I'm in no rush :)

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Fans may also like to check out his near feature length version of "Alice" ( as in alice in wonderland)

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen his version of Faust before so Otik was relatively mainstream by comparison.

11. Mr Pumpkinhead

Mr Pumpkinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It's Channel 4 tonight 12:40am to 3:00am.

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Watched this last night, and whilst it is a strange tale that ends in a surreal way, it's a bit like "Eraserhead" and/or "The Elephant Man" to a certain degree.

Not Svankmajer's best work, (which would probably go to "Alice" or "Conspirators Of Pleasure"), but certainly an intriguing movie, and one like no other.

Does anyone know if Svankmajer's "Alice" is available on DVD at all? I've only seen a short-edit of this fable on TV, but not the full-length version.

Pooch