Little help?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by SNIDE, Jan 30, 2009.

1. SNIDE

SNIDE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well First off, Hello, Im new to this forum, after Browsing through your threads it looks like a very helpful, knowledgeable community and so, I felt I had to join. :)

So what i'm after is a little help, but i won't be rude and just ask straight out, I'll tell you a little about me like an introduction sort of thing if that's cool?

My name is Lee, I'm 22 years old, i live with my Brother and my Girlfriend in King's Lynn, norfolk. I was Born in Hull moved here when i was about 10. I'm not really a sports person, i studied Computing at College for 4 years and currently taking a break from education to just relax before i hammer on through to University. I have a few hobbies, I play Guitar and the Drums, building/repairing PC and Elecrical equipment. :)

Ok so why I'm here, I recently got a Sony A200 for Christmas, and after playing a little with it I found i actually enjoy taking pictures. so it's pretty basic really, anyone got any sugestions as to good books, websites, upgrades etc to help me on my way into the photography world?

and don't worry, this isn't a passer by thing, i plan on sticking around if that's cool? :D

2. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Hi Lee, and welcome. Next step - open a flickr site and post some pics.

:smashin:

3. Ned Senior

Ned Senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Hi Lee many happy hours ahead I hope :) welcome to the madhouse :D

4. denno75uk

denno75uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Hi Lee.

Well for a start, this book gets recommended a hell of a lot, as does this one. This is the one someone bought for me and it too is pretty decent. I think any book covering the basics is an invaluable resource, but if you go for one of the first two recommended you'll be in good company.

As for websites, someone posted a link to this site a little while ago and it seems a good one. Here's another that goes over the basics too. Sorry if they're covering stuff you already know.

Photozone.de is a great site for lens reviews and there's some decent info under the Technique banner on there too. There's also Fred Miranda for lens reviews where there's a lot of user generated opinions too.

Hope that'll do to be going on with. I'm sure there'll be some other Sony users along soon with some more specific info for you.

5. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
  6. SNIDE

SNIDE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ordered the first 2 book you mentioned Denno, should be here Tuesday.

Making a FlickR as i type, will go out and get some Photo's up asap :D

any quick tips to help me out till the books arrive? I'm sticking to the Auto modes and not touching settings for now :)

Thanks guys and gals :)

7. denno75uk

denno75uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Have a good read on aperture. Aperture controls the size of the 'hole' in the lens that lets light through. The wider the aperture, the shallower the depth of field. So shooting in aperture priority, as wide as you can, will give you the kind of effect that throws the background out of focus while keeping the subject sharp. The further away from the subject the background is and the longer the focal length you choose, the more out of focus the background will be. Try it in the garden. It allows you to get some very nice results when shooting flowers etc. Set up a shoot if you can. Place something in a position where the background is far away and shoot at your longest focal length at the widest aperture you can select. Then slowly decrease the aperture (select a higher number thereby closing the 'hole') and see how the background becomes increasingly more in focus. It'll start getting some of the principles in your head.
    Shutter priority allows you to select the shutter speed. For slow shutter speeds you may need a tripod or at the very least a stable surface to place the camera on. You'd use this to get the light trail shots at night or smooth shots of flowing water.
    Once your sorted on the principles, using aperture priority is a simple way of keeping creative control. Personally I think it's an easier mode to get used to as there are limits. A lens has a maximum wide aperture so for the shallowest depth of field you can get you just select the widest aperture you can. The difficulty with shutter speeds is there is almost no limit so requires a greater understanding and sometimes even extra equipment to control the exposure. For example, some people on here do gorgeous photos of flowing water of around 3 mins, but need extra filters to limit the light coming in over such a long period. Gets quite complicated.
    When the books come and you can practice what you're reading about, it'll amaze you how quick you start to get on top of it all. From personal experience though, I'd say the discipline is in remembering to think before, during and after taking the photo. Look at the numbers the camera is showing you, think about what they mean. It's sort of like learning a language. Once you understand what the camera is telling you when it meters a scene and you know which numbers are important to the effect you're trying to achieve, getting the shots you're after becomes so much easier.

8. SNIDE

SNIDE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Denno...again :)

I'm off out tomorrow with that noted to take some pics. :)

Set up a Flickr-->http://www.flickr.com/photos/leef/, only one Photo so far but will add asap! :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  9. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,434
    This is a really good post. Cheers for that :smashin: