• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Little help with Vegas Movie 9

JayJay2

Standard Member
This is new software to me and the learning curve is a bit much for the few simple things I need to do so I'm hoping somebody can give me the short version of training.

I have some video and I need to add a url across the bottom 3rd of the video all throughout while the video plays. Maybe just a black lettering web address on top of a white banner running across the bottom 3rd of the page...? does that make sense? is there a quick and easy way to do that?

or, would you recommend I use something other then this software?

many thanks for any help...

jayjay2

JayJay2

Standard Member
No..I only need the software (or some software) to do a couple of things to video I already have...but the tutorials for vegas just aren't clear enough for me to understand how to accomplish these small tasks.

JayJay2

Standard Member
Ok, here are the steps:

1) Open the project media tab and add your video.

2) Create your overlay graphic in your favorite graphics program and then open that in the media tab also.

3) drag your video to the video timeline (3) and drag your overlay to the overlay area (2). Stretch your overlay to the end of the video frames (assuming you want the overlay from the beginning of the video to the end)

4) then adjust the position of the overlay by selecting event pan/crop. then grab the top (middle) adjustment and move it until the overlay is positioned where you want it to be in the video.

Hope that helps somebody in the future. Will post about the editing in a separate thread.

senu

Distinguished Member
What you are trying to do involves using a text layer with the text positioned where you want on its layer with the video underneath

Most text layers have an "alpha mask" which is transparent over video and only the text shows
Another way is to resize a full layer
It may be simple to you and indeed can be achieved with wizards in some automated software but knowing how to work with layers is a useful skill to have.. Once you get over the learning curve you will be amazed how easy it is ti do a lot if stuff
If you wish I could do a little video and upload to You tube later today or tomorrow
But you might find what you want
HERE
If not Ill just do a simple one for you

senu

Distinguished Member
Ok, here are the steps:

1) Open the project media tab and add your video.

2) Create your overlay graphic in your favorite graphics program and then open that in the media tab also.

3) drag your video to the video timeline (3) and drag your overlay to the overlay area (2). Stretch your overlay to the end of the video frames (assuming you want the overlay from the beginning of the video to the end)

4) then adjust the position of the overlay by selecting event pan/crop. then grab the top (middle) adjustment and move it until the overlay is positioned where you want it to be in the video.

Hope that helps somebody in the future. Will post about the editing in a separate thread.

Ah I see youve sussed it after all...:D
There is more than one way but whatever works if fine
You dont have to use an external graphics editor as Vegas own media generator is pretty fine but as the first video in the link search shows you can also animate it by keyframing but you dont need to do that if you dont want to, as that is one more layer of learning

JayJay2

Standard Member
Ok, next question...I'm adding a movie to the project media and then dragging it down to the work area. Once there, I'm getting varying levels of distortion as you can see in the pics. These videos play fine on my pc but once added to vegas, I get the distortion and then the distortion is still there once I export the finished product. Any idea whats causing this?

Attachments

• vm1.gif
    vm1.gif
    26.5 KB · Views: 37
  • vm2.jpg
    vm2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 32

senu

Distinguished Member
Which format and frame rate is the movie you are importing?
Is it different from your project template?

senu

Distinguished Member
When you start off Vegas, you select a template based on your intended input output
If say you have footage from a PAL DV AVI and put an mpeg2 NTSC movie ( or indeed DIVX from the web), Vegas would try to encode for editng on the time lime and then this might occur
In short is the newly inported footage from a different source to what you already have?

Redhaze

Standard Member
As a complete beginner with Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum (or anything else for that matter) I can recommend some tutorials by Bill Myers (Guerillabill !) on YouTube which have really helped me get started. I have the most useful ones downloaded so I can refer whenever I get stuck.
Redhaze

JayJay2

Standard Member
Ok, I'll go through the videos but let me share this so maybe I can get a jumpstart..

I'm working with a video I downloaded from youtube. I set the size parameters but I have no idea what the framerate is..how do I determine that?

Also, I downloaded it from youtube as a mpeg4 so I'm assuming as long as I export it as that no issues?

What else do I need to know on this issue?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom