Little help needed on htpc!!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Jimmer, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Jimmer

Jimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Hi.I'm just planning on building my first htpc. Need some pointers first though. Firstly I want the sound to be handled by my amp I currently use in my hi-fi setup. Is it possilbe to get a mobo with the right connections, so as to save on pci cards? Is it a spdiff or something like that i'm needing? And secondly, I currently have sky and am wanting to run that through it. I have a dvi socket on my scrren and use my laptop through that right now, so what's the best way to connect from my htpc to the tv as well as sending sky? Do you need a graphics card with a dvi socket and s-video on it? To send both signals? Sorry for the simple questions but it all confuses me! Thanks in advance for any replies:thumbsup:

2. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    yes

Cannot do what you are suggesting.

If you want to be able to view/record Sky through HTPC (MCE05 or such like) you will need an analogue TV card like the Hauppauge MCE 150 which can accept svideo and stereo in.
    Otherwise just connect Sky directly to TV (rgb scart) and AMP. Use HTPC for other things.
    You cannot use gfx card to accept svideo and sound in to the best of my knowledge.

You will connect to TV via DVI from HTPC.

3. Jimmer

Jimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Thanks. So I need a tv card, then I can plug the sky into that via s-video? If I got a freeview one, could I swithch between the freeview on the card and the sky input? Oh and any suggestions as to motherboards that have this "spdiff" built in? thanks again

4. Jimmer

Jimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Is this a good base for a htpc would you think?: B2205 ASUS K8V ATHLON 64+RAID+SATA+SPDIF.

5. Jimmer

Jimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Right this is what i've come up with:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1881444&sku=D452-2041

I want my sky box to work through it and be able to send the audio to my amp, and looking at this it's what I need. s-video for the skybox, spdif for sending to amp and dvi connection to connect to my lcd with. Is this all correct? Can someone please advise if this will do the above (it has the right connections, just I might be misguided!!)

Thanks again

6. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen that board myself but the s-video on it is an output, you'll still need something like a Hauppauge 150 or Sweetspot capture card to put Sky through your HTPC.

7. Jimmer

Jimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    thanks.it looks like a useful motherboard, think i'll be purchasing, cheers. Need a capture card thingy now!

8. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen there's an MSI version too, the MSI RS482M4-ILD, although you'll need to check the specs the same.

9. Jimmer

Jimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Yeah I saw them too, but as far as I know you need an extra plate for the spdif. I'll check this one out too but I think there all the same, and I really want it incorporated into the motherboards,just seems eaier!

10. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From looking at this board briefly it looks like a 3 pin spdif connection for either/both in and out. If you do a search on ebay for item 5868495330 this guy may still have some. They're a 2 wire spdif on a 3 pin plug that may fit and it's cheap!

I've bought a few from him and they work well.

It gives you another option in case the board you want is much dearer than the MSI version.

11. Jimmer

Jimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Hi, thanks for the info, I found one of the msi boards you mentioned for $90, i'm guessing that's a good price? They look good and at around £$0 cheaper (including that spdif off ebay) looks good. As long as I can fit that spdif and it works.....

12. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used the bracket in a few different boards by just changing the connector at the motherboard end. It works fine.

A coaxial spdif is a pretty simple thing and as long as you get the 2 wires round the right way there shouldn't be any problem.

13. Jimmer

Jimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Ok. Thanks again. I'll weigh up both then as I just found that infinity board at ebuyer for £75....too many options!