Little Help - Half life 2

st4fore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi people, i brought a copy of Half life 2 off another memeber of this forum who said he was selling it because it was not compatible with his Tv. However i got the game today and it does not work! I put it in, my 360 goes to read it and then stops, and open tray comes up instead of the usual play game. Now before you say it, iv tested other Xbox games, and Half Life 2 is on the list, and iv just updated the software with the CD, so waht on earths going on?? :confused:

Wtf, how stupid is this, from Xbox.com

Half-Life® 2
As of the most recent system update, Half Life 2 no longer plays on PAL-60 televisions with composite cabling. This problem does not affect other video cabling options such as component, nor does it affect PAL-50.

So if you own the game, before the update it works, and now it doesnt! Great!:clap:

Will it play with a VGA cable?

Talking to myself here, but when i put the disc in NOTHING happens, has anyone else had this? Should it not say incompaible or something at least? Its a joke, clearly MS ahve done this so people are forced to buy the 360 version!!!

use your component. it says it doesn't affect component cables

darren_eaf said:
use your component. it says it doesn't affect component cables

Tried it, still doesnt work on 3 different TV's = a 14" 1995, a 25" 1998 and a 32" LCD 2006. What a load of shizzle. I need to see if anyone else has the game working on their 360 and with what setup to eliminate if its the disc.........

have you tried the disc on an original xbox?

try this if its not working on component either....

turn the 360 off
flick the switch on the cable to composite
connect it to the tv's composite connection
turn it on
go to settings>video
switch off PAL 60
go back out to the dash
turn the 360 off
flick the cable switch back over to HD
reconnect it to the component tv inputs
put HL2 in and see if it works

might work, might not seem to remember having to do this for the 360 demo of hitman. i not expert on display formats n stuff but for some reason it seems to worry about your PAL settings even when your using HD :confused:

/waits five minutes to be corrected

Tried it, still no luck .Has anyone else got the game? Its as if the 360 refuses to acknowledge the disc is even in there!

st4fore said:
Tried it, still no luck .Has anyone else got the game? Its as if the 360 refuses to acknowledge the disc is even in there!
Do you know anyone with a xbox so you can eliminate wether it is a problem with the disk. I have played it but with a VGA cable. but it should work on the component 50 Htz setting.

cjaya30 said:
Do you know anyone with a xbox so you can eliminate wether it is a problem with the disk. I have played it but with a VGA cable. but it should work on the component 50 Htz setting.

Unfortunately i sold my mates a week ago and he was the last preson i knew who had one! :eek:

Iv also emailed the guy i brought it off, who said it "didnt work on his TV as well"

Hmm

Half life 2 doesnt work using the vga cable after the latest update.however it will work using component at 720p.

Sounds like your discs buggered mate:thumbsdow

No worry it is being released for the 360 proper with next gen graphics the next two chapters, Team Fortress 2 etc etc etc.

Certainly worth a buy the xbox version was pants anyway.

st4fore said:
Tried it, still doesnt work on 3 different TV's = a 14" 1995, a 25" 1998 and a 32" LCD 2006. What a load of shizzle. I need to see if anyone else has the game working on their 360 and with what setup to eliminate if its the disc.........
You have a 14" TV made in 1995 that has component? :oops:

Haribokart said:
You have a 14" TV made in 1995 that has component? :oops:

no i used the composite cable :rotfl:

Yeah i think the disc is buggered too, which is annoying as i brought it off someone on this very site :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom