1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Guidance From The Xperts..

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by guru101, Jun 9, 2005.

1. guru101

guru101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    first off, a big shout to all the regulars here....great forums with loads of helpfull techy peeps out there :thumbsup:

Hope you can bear with a newbie, and offer a little advice with regard to his new plasma buy, I know how annoying repeat posts of what plasma should I buy?? can get but I have did my research thru these threads and have decided to purchase the Panasonic TH37PW7.

however..I would like a little headsup with regard the connectivity of my devices to the set. My current demands of the set will be using Sky+, the occasional DVD, and my trusty old PS2, and having a 32" CRT I have currently have them all plugged in via a scart socket.

Now reading thru the fora I realise you have to purchase additional boards for the PW7, some retailers sell the set already with 1 scart output which is great but surely I need more scart outputs than one? I seen some webbies offering additional boards (TY-42TM6ZC Componant/YUV & TY-42TM6V Composite/S-VID) this is where I stat to trip up...Componant/Composite?? what is the connection called that is broken into three individual yellow/red/white connections?

what is the minimum upgrade I need to get my basic system to work? (I realise I need to buy speakers & amp also) srry for such a noobish post but I was told this is the place to ask and a very big shout out to all who help. :hiya:

2. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yello/white/red is composite (the white and red are audio L and R, and the yellow is a single video cable). Component is three leads for video only, and is worlds better than composite.

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    also you can use scart splitters like the quintro which you plug your kit into and then the quintro goes to the scart board...as above post...avoid composite! What sort of budget are you looking at for amp and speakers?

4. guru101

guru101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for the responce and clearing up the composite/componant query :smashin:

the amp/speaker budget will be around £200 - £300 max.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    for about £400 you can get cd1s (about £240 from jake james on this forum - they sell for over £400 elsewhere) and a yammy rx-v450 from superfi for £150 (rrp £299)

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Remember some source equipment has two scarts, so you cascade it with another unit into one input on the display. Just put the unit you don't want to watch into standby.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A pioneer 402 AV AMP (has scart switching for 3 devices 3 in 1 out) is £200 ish couple that to Canton CD1 and all you need on top of AMP and speakers is either a JS RGB>VGA converter or a panny scart board pick up a JS and lead for £100 off classifieds and for £999 screen, AMp + speakers £440 and converter £100 you are sorted (wall mount can be had for £70) all you may need extra is the RGB scart cable for PS2 £12 and 3 decent Scarts £30-40 (£12-15 ea)