Little Fish Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Nice review mate, you really do the film justice. Re the ending, although I didn't see it coming, I felt sure something was up when they talk about meeting in a water park (which I at first put down to unreliable memory), then it dawned on me they were about to pull a Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind on us by having them meet twice for the first time, and you realise why she was 'sad about something'. Lovely.

Yup thanks you two - hadn't heard of this but keen to see it.

Hadn't heard of it, but some very nice writing in your review, and a watch of the trailer has got me very interested. Will have to man up for this one by the sounds of it!

Great and well written review! Will definitely check this one out. Olivia Cooke is one of my favorite young actors out there.

Great review. One i've been looking forward to this, mainly as being a fellow Oldham-er myself, I have followed Olivia Cooke's career closely.... it will be nice to hear that familiar accent in film!

Saw this last night and enjoyed it. O'Connell and Cooke are believable in the roles and fit well as an endearingly loving couple. In a not unsubstantial sense, this is no mean feat, as they and their friendship circle manage to steer clear from being annoyingly millennial woke in their set - even if they don't quite realise it. Having said that, the ensemble cast suit and work fine as the close knit spread of characters.
For me, the real star of the film is Olivia Cooke. Jack O'Connell is good but I had a couple of niggles with him. Cooke, though, breezes through the role to such an extent that she is more than simply believable and really offers up range. It's easy to see her in more than one way as things progress. She is truly three dimensional and draws you through her developing character's nature and unfolding ordeal. This is not to say O'Connell is poor, it's just that he has the somewhat easier set role. Whereas, this is written for Cooke's Emma to negotiate the story's path, carry the viewer through in both narrative and acted journey and, importantly, she never lets things slip.
It's not nearly perfect though and has some poor choices. For instance, Jack O'Connell's stock-in-trade sounding American accent disremembers which country or region it's in at times but I found the fact that he here plays one more jarring - quite possibly, though, more my issue. There is also a bit of flab in what should be a quite slender outing. However, in a story about memory loss and its consequences, this gets a bit contrary and seems to forget that detail in some of its choices. Worst of all, is with Jude
giving his heartbreakingly loving speech; from which he delivers it like a skilled orator, merely unnecessarily glancing upon it at the beginning for the sake of the audience and then spills forth unfettered by need of sight for recall. It didn't kill the impactful nature but certainly weekend things for me at a crucial moment.
Fortunately, this finishes neatly enough in its set out ouroboros-like tale to more than satisfy.

Watched this last night based on the review as it wasn't on my radar, a decent watch and the narrative hits home a little more due to what has happened worldwide in the last year or so. Cooke is really good in it aswell, well worth a watch

Sounds like 50 First Dates with fewer Sea Lions.

Just got round to watching this tonight and it didn't disappoint. A real slice of true cinema. Great performances and cinematography.

The ending reminded me of a moebius strip!

Grateful to this review for making me aware of the film.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom