Little Black Box Runs XBMC

Anyone know if the box will be controllable with a harmony one?

It does have an IR port built in as well as coming with the RF remote so you should be able to use a harmony.

Nice.
Possible to answer my previous question?
You answered a question , but i dont know if it was on the first or second or both parts :)

both. in my short test I streamed 2012 BD ISO with embedded dts-ma sound track when it was plugged into my Kuro TV and it played fine and with audio. I dont know if that was dts or downmixed stereo, the TV doesnt say. plugged into my amp it wouldnt give audio but I didnt have time to investigative as the little black box person were only visiting and I couldnt use the unit for more than an hour or so while we discussed things.

both. in my short test I streamed 2012 BD ISO with embedded dts-ma sound track when it was plugged into my Kuro TV and it played fine and with audio. I dont know if that was dts or downmixed stereo, the TV doesnt say. plugged into my amp it wouldnt give audio but I didnt have time to investigative as the little black box person were only visiting and I couldnt use the unit for more than an hour or so while we discussed things.

I see...
If you could test next time if the amp indeed gives DTS then ..(core from dts-MA)

So its better to chose such device?
Any idea which ones are very good?

I have to say that this looks like a fantastic bit of kit.

For us wannabe geeks who can't always get their heads around tech quite as much as they'd like to it looks like a great way to get in on XBMC.

So it looks like they'll be out mid June but is the quickest way to get one to pre-order on The Little Black Box - The must have multimedia box or are you gong to be selling them Graham?

:smashin:

The same people behind the TLBB firmware have now ported Linux XBMC to the much more powerful dual-core Amlogic M6 hardware. Boxes/dongles based on that chipset are available at close to half TLBB..

Amlogic MX Linux armhf 3.0.50 kernel XBMC - J1nx .:Hackable Gadgets:.
Remember though that the free version that J1nx has made available wont have all the bells and whistles that makes the tlbb a tlbb. It will be the basic Confluence skin with none of the auto update or region specific plug-in features built into the commercial build

I have to say that this looks like a fantastic bit of kit.

For us wannabe geeks who can't always get their heads around tech quite as much as they'd like to it looks like a great way to get in on XBMC.

So it looks like they'll be out mid June but is the quickest way to get one to pre-order on The Little Black Box - The must have multimedia box or are you gong to be selling them Graham?

:smashin:
The TLBB visit to the factory has just been completed and the units are in production and on schedule. A final visit by TLBB quality control team will be made to inspect them prior to shipping.

Currently the TLBB site is the only place pre-orders can be made at the special price of 99.99 Euro.

As you can see from my Sig, we have agreed to be the EU exclusive distributor for tlbb. Other resellers will come on board as we roll out tlbb across Europe, Scandanavia, and the Baltics etc. Other UK resellers may join my-HTPC.

my-HTPC will be "just" a reseller, our trade only distribution company will handle all distribution on behalf of tlbb.

Once everything is ready, the pre-order site will be closed down (in the next week or so) and the authorised resellers will take over. We and TLBB are still ironing out the logistics.

TLBB and ourselves are currently in talks with a couple of major high street chains in the UK, so you can go and have a touch and feel :) We're also establishing similar in Europe with outlets such as MediaMarkt and Saturn etc., and their online counterparts. They will also be available on Amazon, initially via the marketplace.

There are local main distributors for each continent - Americas, Africa, Australasia, and Asia, as well as us in Europe. Each distributor will be setting up retail channels in their own region. So you should be able to buy the TLBB locally anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
The same people behind the TLBB firmware have now ported Linux XBMC to the much more powerful dual-core Amlogic M6 hardware. Boxes/dongles based on that chipset are available at close to half TLBB..

Amlogic MX Linux armhf 3.0.50 kernel XBMC - J1nx .:Hackable Gadgets:.

Hi guys, keep in mind that this is just a teaser video to show you people that the development people behind J1nx are serious people. We did similar for the M3 and The Little Black Box is the results of that. Read back in time and you will find a certain trend.

Now to warn you to not run out and buy dual core stuff (similar as when XBMC for Android hit the media). If you picked up the trend noted above, you will also see that it will still take weeks, hence if not months to get this into the same shape as the build for the M3.

There is still a lot to do ....

But so you know. The people behind TLBB are serious :D

And on their Facebook page, which is great news if its correct. Gives them even more of an edge over other boxes I think.

I'm still deliberating between one or a nuc or brix or build an openelec machine myself as there's some pretty good suggested spec builds about, I keep coming back to this though because of the price

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat mate, been looking at either a openlec build or now tlbb (if hd passthrough works and streams 1:1 bluray iso without issues)

Nuc and brix seems too expensive to me.

I had a generic box with exactly the same specs that I bought for $70, I flashed the j1nx build to it which I must say is very stable and only crashed occasionally.

I am wondering what the USP of this box is considering it is the same old specs of all the other generic android boxes out there for a higher price. In fairness I suppose this box will get better support and it has a nice remote, but still for $60 more I don't see how it is justified.

The mele a1000g has a quad core processor a better gpu and 2gb of ram, absolutely blows this out of the water - for $120 - $140 depending on where you look so I guess my question is..... what makes this box stand out from all the other cheaper boxes with the same spec and why is it underpowered when you look at rivals with a similar price tag.

I know this is my first post, I'm not trolling or trying to start a flame war, I would just like to know if i'm missing something!

There are people who will take the public J1nx build and install it onto a machine. They then have to layer on all the apps they want, configure, and generally do techie things to it to get it to do what they want. If they have problems they have various forums and the community to help them along their chosen path.

The commercial build in The Little Black Box isnt for those people. Its for the people who want to buy a machine, plug it in and you're ready to go. It will prompt for your region, configure things, and then install relevant apps for your region. Choose the UK and it will install iplayer, 4od, itvplayer etc. Install it in Germany and it will install arte & ARD players for example. The TLBB guys have determined which apps are relevant for which region and they will be auto installed. With a homebrew you have to do that yourself from the various repositories. Of course with tlbb you can still install additional apps from various repositories too. Additionally, TLBB will also have autoupdates for XBMC etc. It'll download and apply patches as required with just confirmation from you. If you homebrew you will have to download and apply all the updates yourself. It also has a factory reset option to get rid of all those plugins you installed and cant get to work.

Also, with tlbb being a commercial product it will be backed up with a service and support centre based in the UK. You may still need to reach out to the community for help but at least you can talk to somebody for help too.

There are people who will take the public J1nx build and install it onto a machine. They then have to layer on all the apps they want, configure, and generally do techie things to it to get it to do what they want. If they have problems they have various forums and the community to help them along their chosen path.

The commercial build in The Little Black Box isnt for those people. Its for the people who want to buy a machine, plug it in and you're ready to go. It will prompt for your region, configure things, and then install relevant apps for your region. Choose the UK and it will install iplayer, 4od, itvplayer etc. Install it in Germany and it will install arte & ARD players for example. The TLBB guys have determined which apps are relevant for which region and they will be auto installed. With a homebrew you have to do that yourself from the various repositories. Of course with tlbb you can still install additional apps from various repositories too. Additionally, TLBB will also have autoupdates for XBMC etc. It'll download and apply patches as required with just confirmation from you. If you homebrew you will have to download and apply all the updates yourself. It also has a factory reset option to get rid of all those plugins you installed and cant get to work.

Also, with tlbb being a commercial product it will be backed up with a service and support centre based in the UK. You may still need to reach out to the community for help but at least you can talk to somebody for help too.

Oh, ok I see what you mean. Although there are plugins out there that do the auto config based on region (XBMC HUB Wizard) and reset to defaults/downloads new updates (HUB Maintenance). If it works like you say it does it may just take away the "nerdy" stigma associated with XBMC, because I must admit, it takes some tweaking to get perfect.

Still, I don't see why this justifies the extra $60, especially considering boxes such the pivos are the same price and have just as much support and are what xbmc linux and android was developed for in the first place.
I also noticed that this box is a linux only box, whilst the pivos and many other android boxes have the choice of either xbmc linux or android.

With that being said, it does look like a very nice box, I just don't know why it's being described as "something new", a "game changer" when it's running a public build of xbmc with a few tweaks on 2 year old hardware :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom