1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

little bit of software advice

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by whats_this, Dec 13, 2004.

1. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Story So far. . .

Having decided to go down the hcpc road i then researched, sourced and built my hcpc, taking a couple of months all in all. Unfortunatly it only worked for a week before the motherboard failed. As you can imagine i was quite fed up with it by this point but this weekend i went out and got my self a MSI K7N2 platinum board and have finally got the thing working and stable

The new spec is now

MSI K7N2 platinum mobo
    Athlon xp 3200+
    512mb Ram
    Radeon 9600 (non pro)
    M-Audio 2496.
    370gb Harddrive

However despite my efforts, detailed research, following guides, updating drivers there seems to be no way of getting a solid spdif signal (a signal that does not cut out every second, its actually crackly) from the 2496. Finally gave up and installed the 97 onboard codec and it worked perfectly first time.

Is this a problem with the card or do i need to run a filter or something with it? As you can tell i dont really have a clue as to how it works, but i know some people have had it working 1st time and for some people it wont work at all. I wonder whether if there is a quality issue of these cards?

The problem i now face is that i am unsure of what software i need. I have done several searches but cant find a conclusive answer.

Fot the time being I just want to be able to be able to play dvds on a monitor at a native resolution of 1280 x 720.

From what i have learnt i will need a copy of theatretek and a copy of powerstrip but is that it or is there more i need?

Thanks in advance

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've seen many mentions of drop-outs with M-Audio cards, on here, AVS and TheaterTek, a common comment seems to be the XP SP2 was problematic but that wasn't universal.

To answer your software question .. TheaterTek is generally considered the 'best' DVD player, though many also like WinDVD. You'll see mention of ZoomPlayer but that doesn't come 'out of the box' with a DVD decoder, so you'll still need TT or WinDVD or perhaps the in-progress DScaler decoder (which is free).

To get 1:1 mapping with a 9600 then Powerstrip is probably needed .. the latest Catlayst drivers can output that.

The last thing to consider is FFDSHOW, an video post-processor which does a far better job of image scaling than the graphics card .. have the DVD player pass on the decoded video stream to FFD to have it re-size to 1280x720 and let the graphics card output that .. without FFD then the graphics drivers do the re-scaling and they don't do such a good job.

3. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks very much, that is exactly what i wanted 2 know, shall give that a go a bit later on and get back to you with how it works.

Thanks again
    Iain

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I should have said that Powerstrip possibly needed, not probably needed .. PStrip provides some extra features which can be useful if you wish to switch refresh rates, but version 4.10 of the Catalyst drivers seemed to add native support for 1280x720 but I'm not clear the extent of that support, my 9600 was fine with it but I only used it briefly before switching to the 6800.

5. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks Kragorn i shall give it a go without powerstrip to try and save myself some cahs before i have to get it. thanks for the clarification