Little Birds Pt2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers.

Louise and me feel sort of responsible for feeding them now mate, after all we started it and now they rely on it, anyway, my birds and taking pics is one of my last pleasures in life.

Mark.

Good on you Mark - wasn't knocking it at all - my wife and I also put some mixed seed and fat balls etc. out throughout the year and that's expensive enough but I get the feeling it pales in comparison to yourselves :)

Jim

Good on you Mark - wasn't knocking it at all - my wife and I also put some mixed seed and fat balls etc. out throughout the year and that's expensive enough but I get the feeling it pales in comparison to yourselves :)

Jim

Sorry if you thought that mate, never meant to come over like that :) had a rough night, maybe its being reflected in my tone.

It makes me really happy when i hear that others put a bit of food out for the birds, town birds depend on us more than people realise.

Mark.

Sorry if you thought that mate, never meant to come over like that :) had a rough night, maybe its being reflected in my tone.

It makes me really happy when i hear that others put a bit of food out for the birds, town birds depend on us more than people realise.

Mark.

Yes - it's the water that they often forget - especially in winter - and no problem probably actually ME being "hyper-sensitive" :)

Jim

Since the weather has got better we're not having to put as much food out. Before they were getting through the seed feeder and 3 fat balls in around a day! Now the fat balls are lasting weeks and the seed feeder nearly a week. We have a stream which runs out the front of the house, so they're fine for water :) Big slow down in photo opportunities now though :(

I've put out a Niger Seed feeder for the Goldfinches which it has attracted but the cheeky sparrows have now developed a taste for them as well!!

Ouch, that could be expensive mate, probably work out cheaper to put some fat balls out for the sparrows to keep them off the dear stuff.

Mark.

Ouch, that could be expensive mate, probably work out cheaper to put some fat balls out for the sparrows to keep them off the dear stuff.

Mark.

The annoying thing is that I've got 4 lots of fat balls for the sparrows and blue tits as well, also there's 2 normal seed feeders that the sparrows use. Greedy gits :laugh:

What's it like at Attenborough? I get a bit bored when it's just hides and large open water areas, is there woodland and other stuff like at Potteric Carr?

What's it like at Attenborough? I get a bit bored when it's just hides and large open water areas, is there woodland and other stuff like at Potteric Carr?

You can view a map here: http://www.attenboroughnaturecentre.co.uk/docs/anr-map.pdf

There's a good variety of habitats and birds. There are only 2 hides so you'll probably be doing a lot of walking about.
The Trent Meadows area at the bottom left of the map is good for Bullfinch, Greenfinch etc. The area around the elevated hide is where all the warblers are at the minute, there are also reed beds, woodland, open water and the Trent running along the bottom of the reserve.
You should be able to see woodland birds: finches, tits, woodpeckers etc; warblers; ducks, geese and a few waders (a couple of oystercatchers, redshank and sandpipers at the minute I think); maybe a wheatear or two in the weatear field (where else?).
You can view the latest sightings on the website linked above but there should be a good mix for you to see

Looks like I'll be heading to Attenborough on Friday morning with my mate. We won't be there very early though but if you see someone with a Canon 100-400L and probably wearing a black Iron Maiden T-shirt then say hello :D

Looks like I'll be heading to Attenborough on Friday morning with my mate. We won't be there very early though but if you see someone with a Canon 100-400L and probably wearing a black Iron Maiden T-shirt then say hello :D

I'll be sure to.......

................stay well away from Attenborough Friday morning ;)

A few from today.

IMG_2356_crb.jpg

IMG_2323_crb.jpg

IMG_2367_crb.jpg

Agreed. Great photos :)

Great - especially 2,6,8 and 9 :smashin:

Jim

@ JM1

@ NSNO

Great shots guys, really good stuff.

Mark.

Another nice set of captures - love the second one