Little bi-wire story

muljao

My friend recently bought a new amp to replace an aging Mission Cyrus and psx supply. He'd got this system some time back from his friend who mentioned at the time the speaker cables were quite extravagantly priced when he bought them.

The cables were actually flat plastic strips about an inch wide with a solid core copper wire at each edge approx 1mm diameter at most, designed obviously to tuck neat under a carpet

My friends place has wooden flooring so in his place they just looked wrong, I suggested when he was replacing the amp renew the cables, he bought 15m of ofc 2.5mm in diameter from Amazon, about 15 quid, and new banana plugs due old ones soldered to expensive wires.

The thing is the speakers were biwired but only one wire was fed to each terminal on the amp, so about 3 feet out from this there was a second wire spliced into the wire which now became 2 wires and fed to speakers. I'm baffled as to how this is any different than just leaving the speaker jumpers on, but they were expensive so must be better

I suggested to my friend to only run one set but he insisted on biwiring them

The system sounded great initially but I believe the initial buyer was definitely taken for a ride with the initial cables.

I'd be careful with cables and what you are told you need, the whole current to carry sound to these speakers was originated on ,1mm copper wire

HiFiRuss71

I can't think of a single good reason why bi-wiring should be attempted, much less with mid-cable run connections. One good run of wire will always beat two at half the price.

That said; good quality jumpers between the binding posts of the speaker offer a subtle improvement (always plug the main run into the tweeter/HF terminals and jump to the LF) and don't dismiss solid core out of hand in the right system.

Russell

jjgreenwood

I changed my system recently to bi-wire and it made quite a noticeable difference. This was using Revolution 6XT speakers and a marantz amp.

muljao

I changed my system recently to bi-wire and it made quite a noticeable difference. This was using Revolution 6XT speakers and a marantz amp.
I wasn't really arguing that point. I don't or rather have never heard a difference with bi wire, but that's an argument that has had a few threads.

I was just saying that even if running two cables did make a difference, this cable originated from a single run and cost a lot. It wasn't a bi-wire all the way so was a rip off

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom