1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jrenshaw, Dec 15, 2004.

1. jrenshaw

jrenshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am far from an expert on these things in fact a total novice. What I want is an amp which takes up as little room as possible, that will take the inputs from my Xbox, DVD player and TV. I am not that concerned about having 5.1 either really, could do without all the speakers and cables. The key thing is that i need to save as much space as possible.

Anybody got any ideas?

2. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The smallest "proper" amp I could find was the Yamaha RX-V350. Depth was a problem for me and as this unit is only 300mm deep it fits perfectly in my av cupboard.

It does not have S-Video or component switching but I do not feed video thru it anyway. Sounds reasonably good paired with my Canton CD-1 speakers for both music and home cinema but it does seem to lack a bit in the "mid range" department. Or it could just be my poor cheap input sources.

3. jrenshaw

jrenshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, my problem is more width. :(

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    most are same 440mm wide (some high end kit Cyrus etc is half width) Pioneer VCXS402 is very low....... do you have speakers? as some all-in ones are smaller than normal....

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Agree with hornydragon, the only slim decent amps are in the Pioneer series - have a look there!

6. jrenshaw

jrenshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a couple of speakers that will do the job. I don't see why these things have to be so big, all I need is something to plug the 3 inputs into and then switch the sound from each source to my speakers as I desire.

Can you tell I know virtually nothing about these things!! :D

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
  9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Size of the amp depends on how many amps are in a receiver and the power of each one. The more amps and more power per amp will lead to a bigger chassis.

That is why the Denon AVC-A1XV, which has 10.2 processing is so huge. :eek: Click here

10. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy solution. Pansonic XR45 or XR50, or XR70 if u want HDMI (with DVD-A ablity).

Don't know what the "real" and "decent" slim amps mentioned are supose to mean......... narrow minded perhaps.

Anyways the pannys are full digital, hence can be small with decent power, and run cool. (size is more like a DVD player).

The size vs power is somewhat true in old-tech analogue amps, but 55% efficency vs 90%+ efficiency of digital design makes much smaller and lighter designs possible.

Unless the other suggestions sound better than say a Denon 3805 or AVR300, then the panny is ur choice.

Before anyone "shoots" them down..... have a read at say audiocircle and AVS first.

11. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    If you really don't want 5.1 decoding and surround sound - you could try Denon mini (2 channel only) series - these are only 250 mm wide, but you'd have to find someone who sells them as single units and not as an amp/CD combo. Spend more money for a Cyrus, Linn, Musical Fidelity X series, Meridian 500 series. There's a Teac 5.1 receiver that is only 275 mm wide. Or you could go for a Creek passive pre-amp with switching for up to 3 sources and stick a pair of Marantz slimline monoblocks underneath - you'd have to check the input sensitivity of the power amps though. Take a look on ebay for second hand stuff to chop the budget. If you can navigate to this website and handle forum switching, Yahoo or Google should present no problems to find something that suits..... ;)