LiteOn LVW5005 -v- Goodmans GDVD300R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by roccyraccoon, Nov 25, 2004.

1. roccyraccoon

roccyraccoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want a cheap DVD recorder to replace my failing video recorder but I only need basic functions. The Goodmans says it has a built in tuner but the LoteOn deosn't mention it.

I thought a built in tuner was necessary to enable you to record one channel whilst watching another - is this correct? Does the LiteOn have a tuner or not?

Finally, does anyone know of a DVD recorder that can also play avi and divx?

Sorry for all the questions - but I'm new to all this new technology!

Many thanks

2. kanga

kanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used both these recorders for a couple of weeks so this may be helpful. The Liteon 5005 and 5002 both have tuners and the 5002 (the cheaper one) has videoplus. The recording quality is quite good but I found a marked reduction in the 6 hour mode. The discs seemed to play ok in all the other players I tried them in. It's main problem is sometimes you get a jittery picture. You'll find other people on the internet calling this "strobing" which describes this artefact very well. It's mainly noticeable on a slow pan or movement, but it's only intermittent so may not be a problem. The Goodmans recording quality is quite good, but I found I had to fine tune the tv channels after the autotune to get a good picture. The main problem with this recorder was the discs were very choosy about which other players they would work in and wouldn't even work on a pc using power dvd. Very strange for the dvd+rw format which should work in most players. So you need to choose between smooth video or interchangeability. If you want both you may need to look at another recorder. You may want to keep your vcr since they actually work properly and you can swap tapes with anyone! Hope this helps.

3. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the latest firmware from Liteon was to address this 'jittering' problem.

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/download.htm

I have seen the recordings on the 5005 from off air (Ok) RGB SCART from Sky digibox (V Good) and from digi camcorder also V Good. The last 2 were recorded using 4 Hour Mode and were perfectly good to watch on the 28" Panasonic Widescreen TV.

They lead me to beg the question of what difference are there in the recording qualities of these 'Cheap' Recorders and the likes of the Sony’s, Panasonics..Et al as I found the recordings in 4 Hour mode blew away my V Expensive S-VHS Panasonic VHS for picture stability.

The difference can only be shades of excellence to a mere mortal like me that doesn’t get on my hands and knees up to the screen looking for the slightest problem.

But I do fancy the new Panasonic DMR EH50, and it is not a bad price at aroung £325 with the 80GB HD

AB-P

4. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0