Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Liteon LVW-5055GDL+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by marty2005, Sep 6, 2005.

1. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Does anyone have any info on the new Liteon LVW-5055GDL+ ?

It has 250GB harddisk, writes to dual layer disks, has autofit.

Plays DivX

"LiteOn also offers the recorder equipped with a 160GB hard disk (LVW-5045GHC+), and a large 250GB HD (LVW-5055GDL+), all available at 4Q 2005. The LVW-5055GDL+ also offers recording on double Layer media"

thx

2. RoNaLdiNhO

RoNaLdiNhO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The spec sure looks good. Cant find any reviews or comments about it online. The previous model in the range the Liteon LVW-5045 (160gb) has some very good reviews by what video & wide screen telly and What plasma both giving it 5/5.

3. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Bought one from Microdirect and have set it up yesterday and looked at it.
    The divx I tried wont play but that is no judgement really as others have said most divx will play on these.
    I will focus on the things reasons for which I am returning it. There is a plastic plate-ing thing at the front that covers the DVD drawer and the LCD display. On the major manufacturers you would have peel off plastic strip protecting it, but not with the LiteOn. When I took mine out the non-moisture protection wrapper, the front looks tatty as its in my hands. Bring it close to my face and there are minute scratches on the thing. Took it back to Microdirect (stockport 4 miles away) and as its Saturday and returns are closed they cant do anything, but in the correct dimly lit store you can hardly see the scratches and they guy is telling me its the finish (but there are definately scratches there too with the cheap finish). For sure the plate-ing doesnt look that classy without the scratches, and its still going back on Monday. At home I decides that if I'm really impressed with the operation of the machine I will keep it as you can only see the scratches up realy close in the right light/angle. Wired it all up. Major minus, the red light on the front panel when it is off is really glaring, like a fog light on the car in front on a night when its unecessary. Turn it on and the blue light is really glaring like the red fog light, only blue. Try watching your telly thats on top of it with your lights down low and you really have to try to ignore them. My mate came to visit and suggested I put some tape over them to dim them, and I probably would if I was satisfied with other things on the machine.
    Tried the divx that wont work and it doesnt say why but tries it then flicks back to normal TV. Copied a DVD to the drive (I would probably have 2 or 3 DVDs on the drive at a time) and it copies over all the files from the DVD folders to the HD along with the divx files. There is no way to create folders for your video files (MP3s and pictures are stored in different folders), they are all mixed up in the video folder and named as they originally were on the DVD though you can open the vob etc files to see what they are and rename them one by one. Very time consuming. I decided to delete them and not store DVDs on the drive, so now I have to open them one by one to see what they are to delete them. Very time consuming.
    For the average user those things wont inconvenience them a lot, but I think if you want to play divx files or edit DVD on your drive, and want a 250GB drive youre probably are not an average user, so I am puzzled by the limited control of your files on the drive.

4. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Seems that this model usually comes with the plastic protection on the front (re LiteOn forum) so my case isnt typical.

5. tpbeta

tpbeta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having used it for a month now, I'd say it does what it says on the tin, but its major failings are:

No AC3 audio support

No widescreen xvid playback except in letterbox

Intermittent vertical stripes on XVID playback, mostly seemingly associated with widescreen NTSC video

Annoying DV onscreen controls cannot be removed from monitor during DV throughput (though they don't get recorded.) You have to record the DV input then play it back to watch it clean.

Any others?