1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

LiteOn LVW-5045

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by adrianl, Nov 4, 2004.

1. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw this hdd/dvd mentioned in the 'what's new' section of today's Guardian Online supplement.

Looks very interesting. No dvb tuner but 160GB disk, dv-in,dvd + and - r/rw as well as cd-r/rw (why would this be useful?) and the on-screen user-interface looks very slick. Have downloaded the manual for more detailed examination (www.liteonit.com) but in meantime grateful for any comments from the experts here!

Guardian gave price as £350 retail so sets a new price point. Looks are rather bland - very squared off vcr reminiscent of the new Sonys.

Adrian

2. KoKelly

KoKelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Adrianl,
    I asked about this recorder a week or so ago but nobody on here seems to knwo anything ab out it. In fact it only seems to be available in mainland Europe at the moment as I have been unable to find anyone in the Uk who knows anything about it! It seesm to be the 5006 with a HD included.

Looks like we'll have to wait a few more weeks before it appears in the high street.

Kevin

3. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To record radio off cable/satellite ? and to record video in VCD/SVCD format

4. stem

stem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to another forum I read it's not available in the UK yet and SVP will be carrying it from early next year.

I'll be interested to see what price they can sell it at and some reviews too. The looks wouldn't that important to me, performance much more so.

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm...no svid in or out. Bit of a bizarre ommission

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    For just a tad more you could get a Toshiba RDXS32 - I know which I would rather have!

7. stem

stem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh looks great alright but the 160 gig HD v 80 gig HD has to be taken into consideration though.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    If, as you say, you are interested in performance Stem then do yourself a favour and discount the LiteOn. 80GB will give you 34hrs of programming which you can extend by using DVD-RAM for temp storage if necessary. The Toshiba will give you design control over you menus, better DVD playback, better recording quality and flexible record.

9. stem

stem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may well be right in everything you say but I think I'll wait for a few reviews before I make up my mind. What are you basing your comment about 'better recording quality' on? Have you a review of the Liteon or used one yourself?

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    On a number of points:
    1) On the strength of previous LiteOn recorders. All current models have been distinctly average at best. AFAIK the new range uses the same encoders.
    2) It's Video DAC is 10-bit/54MHz as opposed to 12-Bit of most other recorders.
    3) The fact it can manage only 2 hours worth of recording at full resolution (as opposed to 2hrs 20mins on the Toshiba or 3hrs on Panasonic models).

I have trialled several LiteOns - they are designed aimed at the budget market - if that's what your after it will suffice. But do note if you spent the price of a DVD more you could get a recorder in a different league.

11. stem

stem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No doubt, all very impressive stats but like I mentioned I will wait on an actual review.

A 160 gig recorder would be quite important to me as I travel with work quite a lot, sometimes I can spead a month or 6 weeks away. Am I right in saying that £350 would not get close to a 160 gig recorder that can backup to + & -r at the moment?

12. redrumc

redrumc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Adrian

Have enquired about liteon 5045 myself svp have said they are receiveing it very soon for testing

I believe that as europe is selling the liteon 5045 for 499 euros we will only have to pay £350

i have a liteon 5006 dvd recorder i have also had a philips and a toshiba they were garbage compared to the liteon but it all depends on what you want to use it for as i want to use mine to record a channel from a european satellite im willing to risk the liteon 5045 , but i will carry on using my pc to burn dvds as i dont believe the 5045 is designed for that and any program i want to put onto dvd from an english channel i will do via sky plus and put onto dvd with my liteon , no hard drive dvd recorder will ever match the performance a sky plus box offers in my opinion but i do believe you will not find a better value for money recorder than the liteon

13. theboygroucho

theboygroucho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  14. slarti

slarti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  15. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Read various reviews on the web as aever some good some bad. One good point it is remote hackable for multi region!