1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liteon LVW-5045 HDD+DVD PVR Recorder

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by romseyrover, Sep 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. romseyrover

romseyrover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My set up is
    A Sony TV with built in digital decoder.
    A LG LCD with Humax digita decoder

A Liteon LVW-5045 HDD+DVD Recorder (PVR)

My problem is that I am unable to tune the PVR to receive all the Freeview channels that are viewable on either the Sony or LG setup. In any configuration it is possible to record the channel currently viewed I appreciate that the PVR has no decoder and that I can not view one channel whilst recording another.
    I was expecting to be able to tune via either of the Freeview configurations and record whilst not viewing the TV,

The digital signal is perfect for normal viewing, at times both sets are pulling a signal from the one external antenna with no image degradation

The provided manual seems to have been written by a demented monkey, Liteon's site does not respond although they do promise to reply vial the site to any email, alas I'm still waiting. In the meantime I have downloaded and installed, apparently successfully Liteon's latest firmware upgrades.

Have I bought a pup?, could I have miss-configured the set-up, I'm no technophobe so any help will be appreciated. :lease:

Thanks!!!

2. slart

slart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you cant tune the 5045 to freeview channels as it has no freeview decoder.

3. romseyrover

romseyrover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    slart

thanks for your response, I already have that information (see the body of the orginal posting) what I would like to know is can I access the decoder that is already incorporated in the host (Sony) tv set
    thanks again

4. slart

slart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can access mine through scart or the aerial lead

5. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    romseyrover,

As a work around could you not purchase

a cheap freeview box and connect it

to the 5045.

6. romseyrover

romseyrover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Puffer

Thanks for your response.

I have a second set which has a Humax decoder as an add-on, before posting my original request I tried this out with virtually the same results as connecting to my main set-up. The only difference was that I pulled in a couple of the selling channels, way down the channel scale at 71-2.

What gets me is that on both TV's the digital signal in first class even when both are pulling from the same ariel.

The liteon manual is comprehensive but offers no solution, guess I must have them daisy-chained in the wrong order

Thanks again for your response

I will continue to search and experiment if I find the answer I will postr it here.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    You need to connect an output on the Humax box to an input on the Liteon. I'm not familiar with this equipment so it may be SCART or other. This is not an aerial connection though.

Either way, you then need to set the Liteon to "see" whichever input you used - such as Line, Line 1, Aux, Ext or similar. Usually an "input select" or the like. You do not use the tuner in the Liteon to do this.

You choose channels on the Humax box. The Liteon simply records whatever is present on the input.

8. gavask

gavask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    All the above is correct. The only thing I will add is during channel setup allocate one channel to your freeview box then choose the decode option; this will allow you to view freeview or sky through your liteon (thats how mine is setup) and then record your freeview signal. First post so I hope this makes some sense and does not read like monkey jibberish. :)

9. romseyrover

romseyrover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both
    LV426 and Jedimonkey

Owing to family committements (the wife) and the paramount importance of the SOAPs Im not likely to get the chance to try your advice until Saturday until then hasta la vista Ill be back

thanks