1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liteon LVW 5006

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ruskie, Oct 21, 2004.

1. ruskie

ruskie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Liteon LVW 5006. It suits my needs very well, I wanted a low cost DVD recorder to archive from my Sky+ box.

Its very versatile, records an impressive range of formats, (DVD+R/RW , DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW), has RGB in via SCART, progressive scan and its easy to make multi-region. At just under 190GBP I think its OK for me. I got it from SVP
    Code:
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Hardware_Section__.html
    here is the spec
    Code:
    http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/lvw_5002_5006/lvw_5002_5006.htm
    I have a problem with it though and wonderd if anyone else may have experienced the same. It doesn't output in 16:9 format correctly. I set it up to play in 16:9 but I can't get it to switch my TV (Sony KV32FX68U) to widescreen. Its connected via the SCART, and my other DVD player when plugged in here switches just as expected, as does my Sky+ decoder. Its also stuck in 4:3 when viewing the Sky box through it, except when it is turned off, in which case when watching Sky through it the TV switches between formats correctly.

I've never had any problems with auto format switching before I got this, so I have to conclude its not working as expected. I'm waiting to hear back from SVPs support section as to what to do next, but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions or similar experience? I don't really want to send it back for a replacement unless I absolutely have too, but I can't live with it as it is.

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    The fact that widescreen switching works properly when the recorder is in standby suggests everything apart from the DVD recorder is OK.

Having set it up for a 16:9 TV, assuming it doesn't even switch properly for commercial anamorphic DVDs I would send it back. :thumbsdow

3. ruskie

ruskie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. I've come to the same conclusion and so have SVP. Its going back and I will get a replacement.

Apart from this hiccup I'm impressed with my first non PC stand-alone DVD recorder. I don't need any fancy editing facilities as I do that with my PC, I don't need a hard drive as Sky+ has that. It still seems very suitable for archiving from Sky, VHS and maybe Camcorder, as it also has I-link input.

Oh well it happens, I will just have to wait for the replacement before I can do any more with it.

4. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a different note................. what is the DVD playback from commercial DVD movies like on this machine?

I am interested in buying the machine to replace my Pioneer DVD-454 which has excellent playback through RGB to my Samsung 28" Widescreen but will only seriously consider it if the playback is decent.

5. ruskie

ruskie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't fault the picture quality from it. My Sony KV32FX68 gives an excellent picture and its no different when a viewing a DVD from the Liteon. It got the thumbs up from my better half for its physical appearance too!

I'm not really sure what a poor quality DVD picture would look like though, not been unlucky enough to have a player that was bad. I can say the picture from this machine is just what I expected, clean, sharp. I have good quality connectors, use the RGB inputs and think I have a good eye for detail, but never-the-less someone else may pipe up and say they are rubbish!

One other point I noted in the short time I was able to try this out, the remote control menu is very good, easy to use and clear and simple, uncluttered, for both playing and recording.

6. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

There's a newer version with a HD coming out soon and I'm interested to know what the record is like.

Is there a site with screen shots/ratings of the different HD recorders resolution/compression?

I went for the Panasonic E30 as I was more impressed with the lower res (SP/LP) recording on that than the Philips.

Cheers

Mark

7. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat as Mark Bennett...
    A sub 500€ with 160Gb hard disk look good to me :) , and edit features seem to be acceptable (a A-B cut would be even nicier).

8. Joe_Bow

Joe_Bow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Don't know if it's any help but I spoke to Liteon today in the Nederlands who informed me that the recorder only records in 4:3 format, and they have no plans to change that. I have another issue in that the TV tuner seems to suffer from interference or something as when viewing the TV tuner through it I get horizontal bands all over the picture. I spoke to Liteon who said the latest firmware should fix this however I've done this but I still get the banding. I don't get the issue when viewing or recording through SCART though. Can anyone help here?

Regards,
    Joe :thumbsdow

9. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Does anyone have one yet? What do they think about it?

I am still plotting a selling off of my E30 for one of these. I find the swapping of RAM disks etc a bit of pain in the ass - esp for series.

Is there a site with frame grabs of recordings from different DVD recorders for comparison?

While I want to upgrade I don't really want to loose much more than a tad of record quality.

Cheers

Mark