Liteon LVW-5006 going back. Which recorder can do this....?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TubThumper, Mar 4, 2005.

1. TubThumper

TubThumper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Not impressed like many with the 5006. I get a horrid green tint with recordings and a jittery picture. It's more than likely going back for a refund mostly because it cant do this as well.....

I want to record Sky+ stuff for use at school. That means I need to be able to zip to an exact point on the recording. When I use the remote on a newly recorded programme, the 'search time' option is greyed out, so I can't jump forwards to an exact point. I need to be able to jump to an exact point and play and if I cant do that its useless to me.

I notice that there are a few popular contenders here, the 420, the e85 and a Toshiba.

Will you check please that on recorders you have made, you can search to any time point on the recording.

Thanks

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to create your recording then add chapter points at the relevant times on the HDD.High speed copy to DVD-R retains thesechapter points,so a 420 or E85 will do the trick.
    The 420 is between £269 and £299 at Richer Sounds-go get one

3. TubThumper

TubThumper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Thats interesting, wondering if you would clarify that for me.

What you're saying is that for the recordings I want to copy from the Sky+ hdd to a dvd, I need to set chapter marks?

How do I do that in sky+?

4. SuperBob

SuperBob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't got a 5006 (considering buying one), but if you record on DVD+RW you can set chapters (and hide them) anywhere you want so that would allow what you are trying to do.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget DVD+ HDD machines-waste of time.
    Using a panny or Pioneer,you copy your Sky+ recording over to the HDD.Once there,you can add chapter points wherever you want.Edit out the chapters you don't want(adverts).High speed copy to dvd in under 8 minutes(Pioneer) and the chapter points are retained on the dvd.You can then FF or REW to each chapter stop.

6. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Samsung DVDR100 (from tescos) does this. During playback you press the 'anykey' key on the remote and type in the exact time that you want to skip to. Press 'ok' and the playback continues from this specified time. It's as cheap as the 5006 too.. but has a much better picture.

Martin

7. TubThumper

TubThumper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedbakc guys.

Tbh I dont really want another hdd recorder since I already have Sky+ and I cant justify the expense. Really looking for a straight dvd recorder.

That Samsung sounds promising especially since I have the Samsung dvd/vcr player at school.

Martin, have you tried playing the recordings in a different machine and does the search feature still work?

8. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This particular search feature is a feature of the player not the disc. There are many editing options on the Samsung I have not yet played with so it may be possible to split a single recording into two or more parts such that one could skip to the start of a wanted section easily, however I'm not 100% sure this is possible yet ! I also haven't tried playback of a recording in a another player yet..

Martin

9. TubThumper

TubThumper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the reply.

Still scratching my head as to why dvd recorders dont time stamp as they go along do that you can use the search and play facility.