1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LiteOn LTD-163 recommendation

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ian_guinan, Apr 21, 2002.

1. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks to various comments on this site I have just swapped out my Pioneer DVD 115 tray drive for a LiteOn DVD drive. Initially I was a bit sceptical as superficially the drive looks a little cheaper in construction. In playback however it is wonderful!

Apart from a short spin up to determine the data format of the disk, once it has recognised you are playing a movie it reverts to simple 1x play and is quieter than any other component in my PC (inc. QuietPC power supply, Molex radial fan etc).

Making it region free is a breeze with a small program available in the 'usual' place and does not involve burning a new hacked firmware.

It functions extremely well as a CD/DVD ROM drive also and I would highly recommend anyone trying to reduce the noise of their machines to consider these drives. My Pioneer sounded like a Rolls Royce jet engine by comparison!

Thank you all for the recommendation as this has been bugging me for a while and finally my PC is quieter than my projector.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

2. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    May i add also that this drive is value for money at just under £51.00 delivered from www.overclockers.co.uk.

Regards.

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Other sources:
    http://www.dabs.com - £48 inc VAT and small order surcharge, so knock £2.95 off if you build up the order to over £75.
    http://www.ebuyer.com the're £38 inc VAT, but postage is £10 unless you spend £100 (when it's free).