1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LiteOn LTD-163 or 165 or H or ....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dave48, Oct 24, 2002.

1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am looking to buy a LiteOn LTD-16X drive to replace my current LG drive which is (a) noisy, (b) possibly the root cause of some DVD playback problems I have been having.

I had decided to go for a LiteOn LTD-163 but after searching around it appears that this unit is being replaced by the LTD-165. There also seem to be various model numbers e.g. ending in H or D or S.

Which model should I go for? Is the 165 the same as the 163 for all intents and purposes?

Dave48

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I'm aware, yes - probably faster (not that we care for HCPC). People have used that software util successfully to RPC1 the 165 - no need to flash the firmware.

3. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just picked up a LiteOn LTD 166S.

I was able to enable the RPC-1 mode of this drive using the Windows software linked to from "the firmware page". It helps to disable DVD Region Killer while you do this, or else driveinfo (a tool to check for region region protection) gets confused.

Anyway, the 166S is less deep (by about an inch) than the 163. It's also a bit noiser generally.

When playing DVD's after about 10 secs it slows to 1x and is acceptably (for me) quiet, but not as quiet my (demised) 163 was.

Bottom line, this *is* a different drive.

--- Dave

4. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to agree that this drive isn't totally silent (mine is a 165H but I think it's the same as a 166S). If I've got a disc inserted when Windows boots up, the drive spins up loudly for about half a minute. It is unnoticeable when playing films and when playing games at 24X (via Nero Drivespeed) it does make a little noise but I find the type of noise softer thus less anoying than other drives.