Liteon DVD Recorder LVW-5005

michaelm

Ex Member
Reaction score
SVP are selling the Liteon LVW-5005 recorder for £199.99 inc. vat. It's multi-format (DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW and CDR/RW) and comes with firewire as standard. It is true multi-standard in that it can record as well as playback NTSC material. It can also record VCD and SVCD to CDR/RW. There is also a multi-region hack available but macrovision protection cannot be turned off.

I know Liteon make excellent CDRW and DVDRW drives and I'm sorely tempted by this machine. Has anyone here any experience of it?

Most other dvd recorders can record NTSC,and even PAL 60 aswell.Avoid this recorder.It has no RGB input(like many other dvdr's) but it has no s-video input either.This makes high quality digibox recording impossible.It would do ok for analogue only.With its mix of dvd formats and cd aswell as vcd and svcd its an opportunity missed.

I d/l the manual for this recorder, just to look at specs, and there is another version (5005A) available that has s-video input and component/progressive output. That would be a better bet.

It is also worth noting that any potential buyer should be aware of: It has no Video+ or Guide+, all tv recordings have to be set manually. ie: Channel, Month, Day, Start Time, End Time. So without Video+ and PDC, youre stuffed if there's a program overrun. Also the inbuilt tuner has no Nicam facility, it records in mono only. There is a workaround, plug in an external box such as Sky, cable or Freeview, then it will record in Nicam.

What is the point of paying out £200 if it doesnt record in Nicam, and no Video+.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom