Liteon DD-A500GX won't tune digital stations

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lucypie, May 7, 2007.

1. Lucypie

Lucypie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just bought this DVD Recorder after must research and deliberation.

I receive freeview channels via a (very expensive) digital aerial upgrade so no set-top box. I set-up the Liteon as per instructions but can only record terrestrial stations 1 - 5. The tuner did not pick-up any of the digital stations. Now, I have a feeling I've either selected the wrong tuning option or I need an extra piece of kit? Also, what is the HDMI cable for? Should I have this connected instead of the SCART lead to the TV?

Lots of questions I know but I'm a novice and I'm really hoping I haven't bought the wrong piece of kit for my needs!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lucy

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hello Lucy. Welcome to the forum.

Are you in a position to return it? ... because I am afraid this unit does not have a digital tuner according to online searches I have made.

You could get an additional external freeview tuner but generally it is always much more convenient and controllable to have this integrated into the DVDR.

The HDMI cable is a high quality sound and video digital connection to connect to your TV if it is so equipped. Really only of benefit if watching DVD's.

3. Lucypie

Lucypie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gavtech,

I think I will have to go for the additional Freeview Tuner option - I don't suppose you can recommend a good one? Will I need any additional kit to get the freeview channels to record?

Lucy

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    'Which' magazine had a test of these just a few weeks ago and recommended only one as being worth buying ... the:

Logic Vesa Digital TV Receiver
    [ £50 ] also known as the TVonics MDR-200
    Available from Dixons Currys and PC World.

The rest were mediocre .. and specifically it said DO NOT buy a Sagem.

Provided you have a decent aerial and are in a freeview reception area you should not require anything else to be able to record Freeview channels.

Good luck.

5. Lucypie

Lucypie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Gavtech - I'll let you know how I get on!

Lucy