liteon 5045b vs pan e85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dalvin, Jan 7, 2005.

1. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I'm a new bie to the HDD/PVR thing and have been reading these forums over the past few days.

Opting not to go for SKY+ (I have regular SKY) and wanting to replace my VHS recorder with a HDD alternative, I thought the added bonus of a built in DVD recorder was very nice.

A lot of you recommend the e85, but I have seen no mention of the Lite-On LVW-5045B. It is a similar price to the e85 (give or take £5-£10), and has a 160gb HDD.

Essentially, what I am looking for is a recorder which will record tv programs from terrestrial/sky onto the HDD, and then I could back some of these up onto DVD after a while.

How easy is it to remove any advert breaks from a recording before copying onto DVD?

The pausing LIVE TV is something that definately would interested me. Not sure if the e85 can do this? But does this mean that to achieve this pasing live tv functionality, you have to watch all the picture through the HDD recorder, so in essence it is recording everything you watch? Wouldn't the HDD be filled up pretty quickly?
    Not sure if that's making any sense.. for example: I'm watching TV one night but have not scheduled any recordings, but still want to pause live tv - so how is this possible without the program being recorded?
    Or am i just confusing matters? :)

Anyway, I know that having an EPG is out of the question on either of the units, so it would be down to programming the recorder as per VHS recorder, which is not a problem. But once I have a few programs recorded onto the HDD, how easy is it then to see what is stored? Do you have to fast forward through the recordings to find what you want to watch? Or is there like a menu system where you can see for example: monday 7pm - footy, tuesday: eastenders, weds: some film etc.. etc.. and then just select which program you wanted to watch/delete/back up onto dvd.

Apologies if some of my queries are a bit lame, but I am new to this and would like to fully understand what I am getting myself into :)

Finally, if anyone can list pro's/cons of both the lite-on vs e85, that would be great for making my mind up.

I am leaning towards the liteon, because it can write to many different dvd formats, plus it has 160gb HDD, but the brand name is pulling me back towards the panasonic for reliability.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    There is a very good reason for that.

3. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Rasczak..

What's the reason?

4. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    can someone please help with my query.

thank you

5. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I think you have answered your own question. ;)

6. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    oh.. i see..

but i see the product reviews on ebuyer and amazon as being very good.. but as i had not much experience with liteon products was unsure.

could someone answer some of the queries i have then:

1) How easy is it to remove any advert breaks from a recording before copying onto DVD?

2) The pausing LIVE TV is something that definately would interested me. Not sure if the e85 can do this? But does this mean that to achieve this pasing live tv functionality, you have to watch all the picture through the HDD recorder, so in essence it is recording everything you watch? Wouldn't the HDD be filled up pretty quickly?
    Not sure if that's making any sense.. for example: I'm watching TV one night but have not scheduled any recordings, but still want to pause live tv - so how is this possible without the program being recorded?
    Or am i just confusing matters? :)

3) Having backed up films/progs to dvd-r, i have read that this dvd-r will not play on other dvd players. why is this so? and does it have to be panasonic branded dvd's? i have lots of DataSafe 4.7gb dvd-r's which work perfectly well in dvd players

Thank you

7. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The E-85 does not allow you to pause live tv unless you have set the DVDHDD or RAM Disc to record first. You can then rewind etc (or indeed pause) whilst it is recording.

The JC MR20/30 does allow this, and is called "LiveView".

Personally, i think this feature sounds fantastic, but it is not somehting many people seem to care about here!