1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

listening to music on plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by MSTFreak, Mar 17, 2005.

1. MSTFreak

MSTFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys, i just got my panasonic 42 inch plasma screen hooked up today and i was was wondering if its ok to listen to music on the dvd player while the screen is blank blue? will this leave the dreaded 'after-image'? i usually listen to music for long periods of time and today i listened for about 20 minutes switching back and forth from tv to dvd player. the reason why i even play music on the plasma screen is because it has the best sound system in the house, and i like to crank it up :thumbsup:... if it truly is distructive then is there a way to combine both inputs so that i can watch tv on the display and the listen to the music on the speakers, or something?

thanks guys... and also, since this is my first plasma tv and since i paid a pretty penny for it, what are the do's and dont's of the plasma screen?

:lease:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,029
    MSTFreak

Personally I'd avoid running the display simply to 'hear' an audio source - at worst set the source to output black not blue; all your doing is aging the blue phosphors quicker than the red and green.

You must have some mighty poor quality sounds in your house if the plasma is the best of the bunch :)

Add a Tivoli (http://www.tivoliaudio.com/home.php) Radio with Line Inputs to your system for use as a background music player at relatively little outlay and keep the Display for TV and Movie duties.

Best regards

Joe

3. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If everything is hooked up through an AV amp, why not just switch the screen off?

4. MSTFreak

MSTFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do i do that, jiml? can i actually switch the screen off while im listening?

hehe, yeah, my sound system is pretty sad :). actually, i have a giant 8 year old stereo upstairs with surround sound but for some reason i dont use it all that much... its too heavy to move downstairs, though, and i'd rather listen to my new $300 speakers :smashin:. but if its true the i cant without damaging my new plasma then screw it. i'll move the stereo downstairs...

5. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I assumed that you were routing everything through an AV amp as you said "it has the best sound system in the house" :oops: . If not, and everything is only connected to your plasma, then you probably can't switch it off.

What are your new speakers and how is everything connected?

6. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    just press the power button on the plasma to turn it off! If your running a CD/DVD player via an AMP/RECEIVER the plasma will be quite happy switched off...

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,029
    MSTFreak

I've assumed you have the add on slim line speakers on your Display and your sources are wired to the Display for sound and vision - if yes then you need the Display to be On to hear the sources; with a simple rewire and an add on external amp (low cost - or your old HiFi amp) you can still use the slim line speakers.

Best regards

Joe

8. MSTFreak

MSTFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe Fernand, you are correct to assume so. i have the standard hook-up, nothin' fancy. it really sucks how there are so many rules and restictions to owning a plasma screen... didnt realize a $2,500 TV could be so damn fragile :rolleyes:! after-image? come on! i have a 25 year old TV that i still use upstairs :D. anyway, i have almost given up on the idea of playing music through the dvd player... but what about the music channels? you know, the ones that show nothing but a blank black screen? would this screw anything up? and if not, i can probably change the dvd to a black background. what do you guys think? :clap:

does the plasma still use up the same amount of energy when its on but isn't displaying anything?

9. MSTFreak

MSTFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still need an answer. its either the plasma screen or a small ten year old boom box with busted speakers, and i'm really sick of listening to bob marley with no base and maximum treble. i'm relaxing in my living room not working in the garage :rolleyes:.

10. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not get a DVD player with a screensaver (most have them nowadays I think)?

Next best thing to switching off the plasma.

11. MSTFreak

MSTFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my plasma has some sort of screen saver. its some kind of white rectangular block that moves around the screen. will this prevent after image?

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    an external amp and speakers will give a much better musical sound than any TV speakers, which plasma is it?

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,029
    MSTFreak

If you have a Series 6 or 7 Panasonic Display it is a variable load on your power supply depending on the brightness of the image you are reproducing.

At the trade launch of the 6 Series Displays one of the chaps from Panasonic in Japan had a huge LED array showing how much power a Display was consuming as you viewed PC and Video Images; with 'static' images in particular the unit actually drops output/power consumption if you have the static image on for a while; your eyes are not that good at spotting variances in the brightness so the image 'looks' pretty much the same but the power consumption drops off.

I'm still with everyone else though - get a sound system :) Bob Marley wont rattle any windows at max output via your displays 2 x 8w amplifier; have you had a look in the 'Classifieds' Forum - there must be a few bargains to be had.

Best regards

Joe