Listening to Audio Blu Ray/DVD On Stereo Separates

Hi - I didn't quite know on which forum to post this as it falls between two stools, but here goes!

I am increasingly buying CD sets that have audio Blu Rays/DVD boxed in with them and I simply want to know which of the seemingly bewildering number of stereo "mixes" will be best to listen to on my system. I don't have a surround system so I know those are out, but for instance on one box there is a stereo mix of an album in "MLP Lossless Stereo 24/96" and "PCM Stereo 2.0 24/48".

I have a Marantz PM6006 UK Edition amp connected to a Panasonic TV by means of an optical cable, through Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers.

Also, my TV manual tells me to go into the sound menu on the screen to disable the TV speakers when I want to use the stereo's speakers - is just hitting the "mute" button just as good or is there some esoteric reason that makes that undesirable?

Any help would be much appreciated !

gibbsy

What player do you have? Are the bundled blu rays and DVDs video or HD audio. You will need a player than can convert HD audio to an analogue signal. The Marantz will only take LPCM or PCM signals. On the blu rays and DVDs you will have to select LPCM or PCM.

To use the Marantz to listen to the TV then it's simple to hit to mute button, it will not cause any damage. If you prefer just turn the TV's audio down to zero.

What player do you have? Are the bundled blu rays and DVDs video or HD audio. You will need a player than can convert HD audio to an analogue signal. The Marantz will only take LPCM or PCM signals. On the blu rays and DVDs you will have to select LPCM or PCM.

To use the Marantz to listen to the TV then it's simple to hit to mute button, it will not cause any damage. If you prefer just turn the TV's audio down to zero.

Thanks!

My Blu Ray player is a basic (cheap!) LG one - I don't know the model.

On other Blu Ray discs (audio) it says things like "High-resolution 24/96 Stereo". Will the amp be able to do justice to those?

gibbsy

Thanks!

My Blu Ray player is a basic (cheap!) LG one - I don't know the model.

On other Blu Ray discs (audio) it says things like "High-resolution 24/96 Stereo". Will the amp be able to do justice to those?
If your blu ray player doesn't have analogue out then the Marantz needs to have the correct audio sent to it. It can only handle LPCM and PCM. It will do it justice as the Marantz is a very capable amp. I doubt very much that you would be able to tell the difference between 24/96 and 16/44.1.

To access the HD audio you need an amp that can convert it. Blu ray will usually have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA as well as a high quality LPCM stereo track. Below is copied from the pm6006 manual.

Connect and playback from a digital device (Coaxial/Optical)

Connect digital device to this unit. link

Press the input source select button (COAXIAL or OPTICAL) to switch the input source to “COAXIAL” or “OPTICAL 1/2”.

Start playback of the digital device connected to this unit.
The COAXIAL or OPTICAL 1/2 input indicator flashes in blue if this unit cannot detect the sampling frequency of the input signal.
Use VOLUME
kurosankaku
Sankaku-Reverse
to adjust the volume.

Specifications of supported audio formats
See D/A converterlink.
NOTE
Do not input non-PCM signals, such as Dolby Digital, and DTS. This causes noise and could damage the speakers.
If the sampling frequency switches, such as from A mode to B mode in a CS broadcast, muting may operate for 1 – 2 seconds, cutting the sound.

----------

If your LG player has analogue connections then the player itself can decode the HD audio and convert it to PCM and send that to the Marantz. The LG is perhaps the weak link as good audio players tend to be the high tier models that do have good onboard DACs that do the conversion of HD audio and pass it by analogue PCM to a stereo amp.

Blu ray audio and DVD usually have a 5.1 soundtrack that is best played by an AV amp that has surround sound and subwoofer connected. Some of those players called Universal Players can also play multi channel SACD discs which is another high res media.

With your player and amp combination you must play the LPCM or PCM layers on any high res discs that you have.

If your blu ray player doesn't have analogue out then the Marantz needs to have the correct audio sent to it. It can only handle LPCM and PCM. It will do it justice as the Marantz is a very capable amp. I doubt very much that you would be able to tell the difference between 24/96 and 16/44.1.

To access the HD audio you need an amp that can convert it. Blu ray will usually have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA as well as a high quality LPCM stereo track. Below is copied from the pm6006 manual.

Connect and playback from a digital device (Coaxial/Optical)

Connect digital device to this unit. link

Press the input source select button (COAXIAL or OPTICAL) to switch the input source to “COAXIAL” or “OPTICAL 1/2”.

Start playback of the digital device connected to this unit.
The COAXIAL or OPTICAL 1/2 input indicator flashes in blue if this unit cannot detect the sampling frequency of the input signal.
Use VOLUME
kurosankaku
Sankaku-Reverse
to adjust the volume.

Specifications of supported audio formats
See D/A converterlink.
NOTE
Do not input non-PCM signals, such as Dolby Digital, and DTS. This causes noise and could damage the speakers.
If the sampling frequency switches, such as from A mode to B mode in a CS broadcast, muting may operate for 1 – 2 seconds, cutting the sound.

----------

If your LG player has analogue connections then the player itself can decode the HD audio and convert it to PCM and send that to the Marantz. The LG is perhaps the weak link as good audio players tend to be the high tier models that do have good onboard DACs that do the conversion of HD audio and pass it by analogue PCM to a stereo amp.

Blu ray audio and DVD usually have a 5.1 soundtrack that is best played by an AV amp that has surround sound and subwoofer connected. Some of those players called Universal Players can also play multi channel SACD discs which is another high res media.

With your player and amp combination you must play the LPCM or PCM layers on any high res discs that you have.

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me have this in-depth response!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom