Listening room noise

Nagamega

Novice Member
Hi guys,
I'm just curious, how quit are your listening rooms? For example, Can you hear the traffic noise or any other noises like the fridge etc? I can here a little hum noise from upstairs neighbour, I think it's their fridge, My listening room shows an average 35-37db A weighted, is this good?

3rdignis

24.5db door/window closed.
30-35db open.
Sounds better in silent room.
Open is good too.

Nagamega

Novice Member
24.5db door/window closed.
30-35db open.
Sounds better in silent room.
Open is good too.
Wow, windows open 30-35db, you must live in a very quit place, I have found up to 40db is good, anything above 40db and you might lose some detail in very quiet passages in music.

3rdignis

High rise flat.
Music sounds very different between two.

oscroft

I have no way to measure sound levels - there are no free apps that work with my ancient iPhone. But I live in a residential back street, and there's no general background traffic - just occasional local vehicles, or people walking by and making a noise, or a pigeon hooting (or whatever pigeons do). Listening room shares no walls with neighbours (and the walls are thick Victorian brick ones anyway), and no hums from kitchen appliances get in here. By far the most distracting background sound is my occasional tinnitus.

Nagamega

Novice Member
I have no way to measure sound levels - there are no free apps that work with my ancient iPhone. But I live in a residential back street, and there's no general background traffic - just occasional local vehicles, or people walking by and making a noise, or a pigeon hooting (or whatever pigeons do). Listening room shares no walls with neighbours (and the walls are thick Victorian brick ones anyway), and no hums from kitchen appliances get in here. By far the most distracting background sound is my occasional tinnitus.
I hear you, I have tinnitus as well, I had it for the last 6 years, Lately I have found this on YouTube, "stop tinnitus fast... Dr. Mandell's 4 step method in 80 seconds" I have tried it, after a week I start noticing an improvement, I think it's worth a shot, good luck, thanks for the reply.

oscroft

I hear you, I have tinnitus as well, I had it for the last 6 years, Lately I have found this on YouTube, "stop tinnitus fast... Dr. Mandell's 4 step method in 80 seconds" I have tried it, after a week I start noticing an improvement, I think it's worth a shot, good luck, thanks for the reply.
Saw it, tried it, it didn't do anything for me :(. But thanks anyway.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
My main listening room (study) is at 30dB(A) according to my ipad app and that has a fairly loud PC fan going and may one car every couple of minutes outside the rush hour (speed bumps help!).

Nagamega

Novice Member
My main listening room (study) is at 30dB(A) according to my ipad app and that has a fairly loud PC fan going and may one car every couple of minutes outside the rush hour (speed bumps help!).
There is no fan in my room, and there are no cars passing by, and mine shows 35db on my laptop, so I guess every db meter is different.

gibbsy

Mine is far for silent, there is an aquarium in the room with two big canister filters running. Biggest noise 'pollution' at this time of year is birdsong and the cows lowing in the field at the end of the garden.

The birds did cause a problem when I was trying to run Audyssey on a new receiver in the spring.

Nagamega

Novice Member
Mine is far for silent, there is an aquarium in the room with two big canister filters running. Biggest noise 'pollution' at this time of year is birdsong and the cows lowing in the field at the end of the garden.

The birds did cause a problem when I was trying to run Audyssey on a new receiver in the spring.
Yes, but better birdsong then a traffic noise.

gibbsy

Yes, but better birdsong then a traffic noise.
Every second of the day. :smashin:

........although maybe not a family of Tawny Owls calling for food at two in the morning right outside your bedroom window.;)

Apollo83

My android app says 20dB in room with windows closed and 25dB with open windows and some birdsong audible.
I'm in the middle of the countryside with fields all around me so once a day I might get a tractor going by, %$£* traffic! grrrr...

Nagamega

Novice Member
My android app says 20dB in room with windows closed and 25dB with open windows and some birdsong audible.
I'm in the middle of the countryside with fields all around me so once a day I might get a tractor going by, %$£* traffic! grrrr...
Wow, those are very good numbers.

Apollo83

Not to hijack your thread Nagamega...

... but while we have our sound meters out, what listening levels do you find you typically listen at?

I seem to average between 60dB and 70dB depending on the track types
Cmon you thrash metal fans - I know you can beat 70dB!

Nagamega

Novice Member

... but while we have our sound meters out, what listening levels do you find you typically listen at?

I average between 65 and 70, I have tinnitus so I don't want to listen too loud.

JemCollector

My phone registered a 108db peak @ 1 metre (on the DecibelX app) while playing ‘Wake up dead’ by MegaDeth. I wanted to see how loud I could take it but I only left it there for a second, I couldn’t bear it Typically probably 60 to 70db-ish from my listening position, which is about 3.5 metres away I’d say.

Incidentally, the time I was most afraid for my hearing was at an Iced Earth gig (another thrash band) in Bremen a few years ago. They were SO loud, even I thought it was ridiculous! It made me think of the articles I’ve read about how loud The Who used to infamously play

oscroft

My phone registered a 108db peak @ 1 metre (on the DecibelX app) while playing ‘Wake up dead’ by MegaDeth. I wanted to see how loud I could take it but I only left it there for a second, I couldn’t bear it Typically probably 60 to 70db-ish from my listening position, which is about 3.5 metres away I’d say.

Incidentally, the time I was most afraid for my hearing was at an Iced Earth gig (another thrash band) in Bremen a few years ago. They were SO loud, even I thought it was ridiculous! It made me think of the articles I’ve read about how loud The Who used to infamously play
Loudest ever gig for me - Ted Nugent, some time in the 70s. All I could remember afterwards was the loud.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more

Trending threads

Top Bottom