Listening fatigue

FootHealer

@FootHealer - How did you get on with selling your excess kit ?
Hey man...how's it going?

I sold the Monitor Audio Silver 200s here on AVForums. The buyer seems happy with them (paired with an Audiolabs 6000a). I sold a few other bits and bobs, including a pair of Monitor Bronze 5s and 1s, and my old Cambridge Audio SR20 and CD10, but these went on the big auction site whose name shall not be mentioned ;) I didn't sell the Project Debut Carbon Recordmaster HiRes turntable...decided to keep it on my upstairs (second) system. Now have my Rotel system with the Concept 40s downstairs and the NAD and Concept 20s upstairs. Am still enjoying them very much, but miss that Monitor Audio detail a little bit, despite the fatigue after about 5 songs. But, in the end, I'd rather listen for longer, and the Concept 40s and 20s are sooooo smooth.

I recently bought a slightly used NAD D3045 as a replacement for the D3020v2. It was definitely a good choice...I only wish I had bought it in the first place. It has twice the power and a little less warm (more detailed) and you can really tell. The Concept 20s really pack a punch now...it almost makes me wonder if I really need a subwoofer. The D3045 has a high and low pass filter, so its ideal for setting up a subwoofer with the Concept 20s. I'm looking into options for a sub. I'm considering using the D3020v2 on an office PC setup, or I may sell it on. Haven't decided yet. I still feel the D3020v2 is a slightly more entertaining listen, but at 30w with a 60w max, it might not be getting the most out of a the Concept 20s. Am considering trying a pair of Klipsch bookshelves...never tried them before. Might be a laugh :)

Thanks for getting in touch. I hope you are well.

Ascotbilly

Morning - yeah funny enough I was reading the speakers forum first thing and read of a happy punter and his recently acquired from AVF, MA 200’s Assumed rightly they were yours.

Sounds like you have a couple of great little systems now to concentrate on your music !

A 2nd systems always on my mind and those QA Concept 20’s are an absolute steal at the moment ! How would you reckon they compare with the MA Silver 50’s which are also heavily reduced albeit more expensive ?

FootHealer

Morning - yeah funny enough I was reading the speakers forum first thing and read of a happy punter and his recently acquired from AVF, MA 200’s Assumed rightly they were yours.

Sounds like you have a couple of great little systems now to concentrate on your music !

A 2nd systems always on my mind and those QA Concept 20’s are an absolute steal at the moment ! How would you reckon they compare with the MA Silver 50’s which are also heavily reduced albeit more expensive ?
Hi,

Yeah, those were my Monitor 200s. The buyer came to collect them in person...nice, friendly bloke. After a quick demo, he was happy to wrap them up and head back. I kind of miss them, but am happy with the Concept 40s.

To me, the Monitors are more detailed and crisp, while the Concepts are smoother and easier to listen to. When I listen to the Monitors, sounds like the crash of a symbal have a more realistic metalic sound and more sparkle. In one song I enjoy, you can clearly hear the sound of the electric guitar being played both through the pedals and amp, but faintly you can also hear the strings metallic tinging sound and the sound of the plastic plectrum, as if the guitar was being played without an amp. It was quite surreal, as I had never heard that before. While on the Concepts the same symbal is a little, well, rounded off, and the guitar sound is mostly what can be heard through the amp. For me, the extra detail was enjoyable but fatiguing...I found it lends itself well to "analysing the music", thinking about where the sounds are and how realistic they are. The Concepts are detailed, don't get me wrong, but the soundstage is just a touch softer around the edges. Its really subtle, hence my difficulty in describing them. Hope that made some sense?

One thing I noticed about the Concepts is that they like more power than their "recommended amp rating" suggests. I was running the Concept 20s on a 30w amp. With a 60w amp from the same manufacturer and series, the bass suddenly slams a lot more, despite only going down to 60Hz. The Concept 40s are the same...the bass extension is similar to the Monitor 200s, even slightly above it, but it has more weight. I feel the Monitors may have more extension, but less bass weight. Overall, the Monitors seem "light, airy, and detailed", while the Concepts are "smooth and punchy".

Last edited:

FootHealer

PS. I would add that it seems Monitor speakers benefit from a warmish amp, like NAD or Marantz, while the Concepts are happy with anything I have put them on.

Ascotbilly

The NAD is an option for a 2nd system amp, shelf length is limited whereas the NAD would give me more speaker choices

FootHealer

The NAD is an option for a 2nd system amp, shelf length is limited whereas the NAD would give me more speaker choices
I highly recommend both the NAD D3020v2 and the NAD D3045. The D3045 is about double the size, but also double the power. The D3020v2 is a little warmer and easier to listen to. Don't pair it with warm speakers, or you may fall asleep. It works nicely with the Concept 20s, as they are easy to drive and not warm, more neutral and smooth. I'm still contemplating putting my D3020v2 on the AVF classifieds. It just a really nice little amp and I keep thinking of ways to use it in my house...but do I really need 3 systems? Even my wife likes it (the looks and that it has Bluetooth for her phone) ;)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom