• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

List the best vinyl recordings of all time..

vinylman

I thought it would be interesting to get a thread going to discover people's opinions on the best ever vinyl recordings. I love the pure analogue sound of vinyl and would certainly like everyone's help to discover recordings I'm not (yet) familiar with...

I'll start with...

Hendrix - Axis: Bold as love

iainoco

Great idea for a thread.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (70's Pressing)
Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (2012 Pressing - An stunning analogue remaster)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Roxy Music: Avalon is up there with my best.

Couldn't tell you which release I own as away from home at the mo, it's an old pressing anyway but sound quality is fantastic to my ears.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Donald Faegan - The Nightfly
The Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops

Standards in the Hi-Fi shops around Glasgow/Edinburgh back in the 80’s :thumbsup:

Joe

tvmcp

Force Majeure Tangerine Dream 1979 (patience is rewarded with this one)

overkill

Distinguished Member
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries

Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (45rpm re-master)

Dire Straits - Love over Gold

Curly99

Distinguished Member
I'll add Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake - The Small Faces.. I got an excellent repressing of this last year (I think Windhoek did as well) numbered Ltd Ed done for there induction into the Rock n Roll hall of fame, US only release got it for £14 from All your music in California... worth it for the sleeve alone, it comes in a round fold out sleeve, I have an original copy framed on the wall at home.

I'll also add Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones (boxset) got this when it was one of the Amazon Christmas specials a couple of years back, was a bargain and it's the Rolling Stones...enough said ;) :)

Curly

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue. Obviously there are many different version of this, take your pick.... as long as it's stereo... :)

vinylman

Curly99 said:
I'll add Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake - The Small Faces.. I got an excellent repressing of this last year (I think Windhoek did as well) numbered Ltd Ed done for there induction into the Rock n Roll hall of fame, US only release got it for £14 from All your music in California... worth it for the sleeve alone, it comes in a round fold out sleeve, I have an original copy framed on the wall at home.

I'll also add Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones (boxset) got this when it was one of the Amazon Christmas specials a couple of years back, was a bargain and it's the Rolling Stones...enough said ;) :)

Curly

I've always been a Stones fan but only recently got into Exile. I never found it to have as many instantly likeable tracks on it as some of the earlier albums e.g. Beggars banquet, let it bleed and sticky fingers. However, I'm getting into it now. I have the remastered vinyl and CD.

overkill

Distinguished Member
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Nimbus pressing)

Joni Mitchell - Hissing of Summer Lawns (Nimbus Pressing)

Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me (Nautilus pressing)

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Can I add Lee Ritenour's "Friendship"? The JVC "direct-to-disc" version. Great musicians playing "live" in the studio and captured brilliantly.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
I've always been a Stones fan but only recently got into Exile. I never found it to have as many instantly likeable tracks on it as some of the earlier albums e.g. Beggars banquet, let it bleed and sticky fingers. However, I'm getting into it now. I have the remastered vinyl and CD.
Probably not as immediate as other Stones albums as you say, more of a grower which imho is a good thing, this is the set I got, think I paid £40 which going by the price it is now makes it more of a bargain http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exile-Stree...5881482&sr=8-10&keywords=exile+on+main+street

Curly

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Triple LP - Cream, live at the Royal Albert Hall in 2005.

Standout guitar track is definitely 'Stormy Monday'
Stop showing off with your RSD purchases ;) :) ..... only jokin'

I have the Cream 2005 cd, they still sound good :)

Curly

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
I have the Cream 2005 cd, they still sound good :)

Curly

Sky Arts 1 broadcast the show last night. May be able to see it on Catch-up if you have it.

I'm a pretty big EC fan, but when you watch it you realise just how good Ginger Baker & (especially) Jack Bruce really are. :smashin:

overkill

Distinguished Member
Sky Arts 1 broadcast the show last night. May be able to see it on Catch-up if you have it.

I'm a pretty big EC fan, but when you watch it you realise just how good Ginger Baker & (especially) Jack Bruce really are. :smashin:
Saw that on the same channel at the end of last year. Totally agree. Although Ginges drum solo went on, and on, the musicianship of Bruce and himself, even at their age, was still top notch.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
...Ginges drum solo went on, and on,

Hah hah - doesn't it though???? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Real "old-school" drum-solo, like some of the classics (Ian Paice, John Bonham, et al). :smashin:

Curly99

Distinguished Member

Damn..wish I had Sky.

Curly

overkill

Distinguished Member
Damn..wish I had Sky.

Curly
No you don't... ;) You can have my subscription if you like?

Sadly I'm outvoted by two to one in favour of keeping it.

@bt bob, oh God, the time vortex drum solo! I've seen a few, but luckily they were in the late 70's, early 80's so they were half the time, and twice the imagination. The best I've seen in terms of skill was Neal Peart, the best for showmanship was Daniel Adair out of Nickelback (yes, I know).

I've seen worse guitar solos tbh than Drums. At Download last year were the two worst I've ever seen - and that took some doing. Slash tried for the worst solo of all time in his set with a solo that sent me scuttling back to my tent, and was still going on ten minutes after I left, but was beaten to the poll by Zakk Wylde who's solo, for sheer boring repetition, and fretsturbation of the highest order won by a nose.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom