1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of viewing locations? Worth adding to the FAQ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dunamis, Jul 25, 2005.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Apologies in advance if this has been suggested before or is more appropriate in another forum but...

I've been mostly lurking here for a number of months since I'm planning to get a projector at some point. I've noticed a lot of potential purchasers frequenting this forum and also the oft repeated tip of viewing the projector you want to purchase for yourself.
    If I was to purchase a projector right now it would probably be the Benq PE7700 from what I've read but the risk of rainbows (small though it may be) does concern me in a purchase of this size...especially with wife who suffers the occasional migraine.

I'm wondering whether it would be worth compiling a list (in this thread?) of shops around the UK that will demo a projector for a customer. I could see this being a valuable resource for 'soon to be' projector owners - I know it would be for me.

Comments or shop suggestions? (especially in Glasgow ;) )

dunamis

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    That sounds liek a good idea, but it may fall foul of the forums advertising constraints - a dealer may be getting an unfair advertising advantage if he;s on teh list but doesn't currently pay towards any 'real' advertising like many already do.

Something for a mod or Stuart to look at perhaps.

It certainly would be a help to those who wish to try before they buy.

Gary.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Or indeed vice-versa - a disreputable dealer may be able to "buy" popularity by simply paying a fee to be on a list. I have raised the point before, I don't like the idea of having a fee or a free-for-all list of recommended dealers, or installers, or demo-rooms etc. I would want to see a dedicated forum for this kind of thing, where no commercial organisation (including this very forum) were allowed to be involved.

e.g. A company must be nominated for shortlisting by a forum user with x number of posts, and then must receive y number of votes to gain forum approval. Or a moderator should be voted in by the whole forum, who then takes sole (or joint if more than one mod) responsibility for who or what gets on the list. The point being a commercial company cannot pay their way in. The only way in is if real users of this forum actually want them there. An actual service by the customers, for the customers. And I would think a great feedback cycle for resellers who aim to provide what the customer wants, rather than forcing their ideals onto a customer. It's no perfect world, but it would be nice.

4. dunamis

dunamis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oh dear. This didn't go the way I anticipated at all.
    Maybe I'll stick to replying to other posts.

I was only proposing a list of places that will demo a projector...not a managed or vetted list, no voting or moderation...just a 'I was able to demo a projector here' list. Neither an endorsement of nor an advertisement for the shop or dealer in question.

Doesn't look like it's happening...so...anyone know somewhere I can get a projector demo in or around Glasgow?

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LOL I see what you mean. Was more replying to Gary's point of it raising questions with advertisers etc.

BenQ demo you are unlikely to get anywhere to be perfectly honest. Probably easier to find a forum member based in Scotland than a company who are willing to demo BenQ. Best of luck!!!

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Sorry if I put a damper on things, it's just that I know how how stringent advertising is monitored here so that's why I mentioned it.

I do think it's a good idea though, and would certainly make it easy for someone who wants to see who is demoing what equipment and where.

Gary.