Quantcast

Question List of HEC and ARC enabled devices?

harveydov

Novice Member
Is there anywhere to find a list of HDMI HEC and ARC enabled devices.

Particularly HEC seems very difficult to find devices that support it or has it not taken off.

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
No commercially available device has implemented HEC.

Listing ARC is going to be a very long list of AVR's, Soundbars and TV's.

Joe

harveydov

Novice Member
Ok, that's fine. HEC seemed to good to be true.

So are you saying that ARC is common in most modern kit?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC has grown in popularity with the growth of networked 'Smart' TV's and Soundbars.

Never assume any Feature is present on any device - always check the Spec sheet.

Joe

harveydov

Novice Member
I can see it being useful in domestic situations purely for simplifying cables but never mind.

I certainly will check spec sheets first. Thanks

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I can see it being useful in domestic situations purely for simplifying cables but never mind.

I certainly will check spec sheets first. Thanks
It showed up when gigabit connections were fast becoming the norm, and being limited by its 10/100 max speed and the 8 meter limit of the HDMI cable it never stood a chance.
Certainly it would have been lunacy to pick this feature to replace a standard ethernet port, and as that was the case and most manufacturers would be including the ethernet port anyway, it never became an option that anyone would seriously consider.

harveydov

Novice Member
It showed up when gigabit connections were fast becoming the norm, and being limited by its 10/100 max speed and the 8 meter limit of the HDMI cable it never stood a chance.
Certainly it would have been lunacy to pick this feature to replace a standard ethernet port, and as that was the case and most manufacturers would be including the ethernet port anyway, it never became an option that anyone would seriously consider.
That is fair points, thanks. Maybe future specs will change some of the limitations.

alyourpal

Novice Member
Don't understand? You think everyone has a separate ethernet connection for smart dvd players, playstaions, xboxes, and smart tvs? What good does a dedicated ethernet port do when there are no more available ethernet ports from the router? Not to mention the tangle of wires. So much for your "lunacy" comment.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As of Jan 2015 HDMI.org claimed over 4 Billion HDMI equipped devices had been sold world wide - not one of them with an HEC implementation, I'd say it was a dead duck.

Joe

alyourpal

Novice Member
What is their solution to all those internet connected devices? Apparently it's ignore the problem or be ignorant and assume everyone has unlimited ethernet ports. I have the issue and I am not that keen on getting the latest devices as soon as they are available, so I don't understand why no one else does, since they do seem to get all the newest gadgets. I have to use wireless for my tv and I am paying the price in slow connection speed.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you are using Wi-Fi for your TV how would that change if you had an HEC enabled device connected to the TV?

Joe

alyourpal

Novice Member
Good point. I was trying to figure a way around the fact my tv does not have a ethernet connection. Guess I will have to do what I am doing (waste of electricity) and use my ethernet connected device (playstation) for youtube and netflix and amazon prime video etc.. Ok so what about the problem of all the devices needing a ethernet connection? You know the HDMI 2.1 just came out (as noted in your article here on this website) and it has ethernet included of course. Why would the industry not add it since they seem to be fond of adding mostly useless tech all the rest of the time. I mean why does every new device have to be smart? It's redundant.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Your TV - sounds like you are stuck with Wi-Fi.

Multiple Devices - assuming you can install at least one CAT6 cable to where the kit lives a low cost Gigabit Switch will usually do the trick.

HDMI CEC - I think they are stuck with including it to ensure backwards compatibility as per the Spec, the one Good point being the additional shielding on the HDMI Cables has been helpful for other Features on the HDMI signal bus.

Duplication - you have to be a brave Product Manager to not include a ‘ must have’ Feature on your latest device.

Joe

alyourpal

Novice Member
I can see a dim light at the beggining of the tunnel (not the end) where they might reconsider it if it is part of the new hdmi 2.1 specs and they notice the increasing need for less wire tangle and more connectivity. I always retain hope because I can not think dumb. It is impossible for me to walk around and think things will not go as they should. I could not get out my door if I thouoght that way.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Product Tech Support is already a huge headache - add Networking issues to the Party and your support costs go through the roof.

I can’t see it happening any time soon.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Connecting an AVR or TV to a Wired or Wireless Network is one thing - becoming the 'Hub' of a wired Network is entirely different!

You can go around in as many circles as you want - HEC is never going to happen.

Joe

alyourpal

Novice Member
I'd love to prove you wrong and make all the effort of the inventors not treated so, but you are probably right and I and all the other subdued hopefuls posing on the web about this improvement are destined to live with a rats nest of wires.

Trending threads

Top Bottom