1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of good sub £500 tvs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by preston, Jul 2, 2004.

1. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The in-laws are after a cheap 28" widescreen. I've done a bit of research and online price searching and come up with:

Sony KD28DL10U (IDTV) £445
    Sony KD28DX50U (IDTV) £490
    JVC AV28X37HKE (2 RGB scarts) £420
    Thomson 28WF201G £350
    Thomson 28WH201S £350

All got good reviews in the magazines, are flat screen and have at least 1 RGB scart.

Anyone got any experience good or bad with any of these sets?

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I had a DL10 which had a great picture, mine could not show analogue pictures and so it went back but dont let this put you off.

Also worth looking at the Panasonic DT4. The problems with loud humming have now been fixed.

I could live with either of these TV's

3. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Londondecca - I'll add the DL10 to the list. Best price on line is £443. Assume same spec as 32" which boasts 2 scarts (1 RGB) and is IDTV. Must admit I fancy the DL10 at £440 but the father in law usualy buys panasonic.

4. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update...

Prices of these tvs are now £20-£40 cheaper since I originaly checked.

5. scott666

scott666
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There's also Sony KD28DL11, replacement for KD28DL10. I'm interested in this one....seems cheaper than the old model but i've read on here that theres a problem connecting this up to a surround sound system in that you have to go through a 'mute the tv' process every time you switch it on, does anyone know if the replacement model suffers from the same problem?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JVC 28X37 is incredible value for money, 3 scarts 2 RGB, i S-video, Audio outs 100hz etc etc etc etc

7. Rory

Rory
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought the JVC from Allders for £499 with a five year warranty. Initially very dissapointed with the harshness of the picture but after a lot of tweaking (without having to use the service menu) we are now very happy. Note it has picture tilt function as well.

Rory

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Also like (and own) the JVC. Mine has a little geometry kink that would probably drive some of you into an apoplectic rage that I ignore. The connectivity and picture at the price are great. Its appearance appeals more than the other on that list as well. Alos got the 5 year warranty from Alders although I bought mine a little while back so paid £550.

9. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, to connect up a surround sound system on a KD28DL11 you do have to go into the menu and turn off the TV speakers otherwise there is no output. To be honest I've not really found it to be a problem just means the surround sound system has to be on whenever watching the TV.

10. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, forgot to add that once the speakers are turned off in the menu you do not have to keep going back into the menu to re-set, it does not lose this setting.

11. scott666

scott666
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok thanks......so does the KD28DL11 have as good a picture as the KD28DL10? That was the one thing that impressed me most about the old model (for the price anyway). I'm not so bothered about the sound as it'll be connected to my amp. Anyone seen a magazine or online review of the new model? Any of the major electrical chains got them in the showrooms so I can have a look at one?

12. One-Cell

One-Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say i am very impressed with the picture quality of the KD28DL11, although at first I found it a bit too harsh compared to my old Sony. Found that some whites tended to smear a little, but i have played about with the brightness/contrast and sharpness settings and got it to what i think looks spot on. I always think you can judge a TV by how well it represent blacks, and this TV has no problems, black really does look black with all other colours really rich.

They seem to be a few minor issues with the the DL11 at present though.
    Firstly in the EPG (which now shows 7 day programme :thumbsup: instead of now & next) there is an option to store your favourites, but after a short period of time it loses these.

Secondly, at times there is a very slight bend in the top left hand corner on certain digital broadcasts. However when playing a DVD through RGB input you are able to move the picture using the RGB Centring option so this bend is no longer visible. :)

Check this thread for more details:-
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143560

Overall I am very impressed with the DL11, depsite these minor issues.