Question List of dual and quad core computer software?

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by nwgarratt, Jun 22, 2015.

1. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    I am still running ons single core and looking at getting a new desktop pc. I have seen a cheap Lenovo Quad core 2.4ghz and also a dual core 3.7ghz which I look the look off.

What programs make use of more than one core? and do some only work 2 cores? Is there a list somewhere.

I assume the 3.7ghz is still best if there is still many single core software around?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    Core count and clock speed is only comparable among processors using the same design. At the lower end particularly there are at least four different designs with widely varying performance at the same frequency and core count.

Program-wise it depends on which area you're interested in. Generally though most things limited by processor performance can take advantage of several cores these days, although there's always the occasional task that has to be done sequentially and will never be able to use more than one core. I would look up some benchmarks for the applications you use the most.

You are correct that fewer cores are preferable when maximum performance is the same because you retain more performance for tasks that can't use all cores.

The model matters though:
    2.4Ghz Quad Core J2850 against a 3.7Ghz Dual Core i3-4360 and the dual core will win, even in things that can take full advantage of a quad core.
    2.4Ghz Quad Core i7-4700M against a 3.7Ghz 'Dual Core' A4-6300 and the quad core will win, even in things that only use one core.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    The quad core I have seen in my price range is the J2900, A4-6300B and Pentium G3240. Looks more complicated than I thought. I only have a £200 price range for a new desktop.

I am still using a AthlonXP 2200 single core.

I do some video H264 encoding work but most of the time it is just photo editing (Adobe photoshop elements) and internet.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    Out of those three it's an easy enough choice for most people. The Pentium G3240 (Haswell design) is the fastest CPU and gets Intel's excellent Quicksync dedicated video encoding/decoding hardware. If you can snag a complete system with that for under £200 then it's an excellent deal.

The A4-6300 (Piledriver/Richland design) advantage is faster integrated graphics but it doesn't sound like you'd use it much. Photoshop elements doesn't have any support for GPU processing AFAIK and the use of the general purpose GPU has declined for video encoding - mostly these days it's either CPU only for maximum control or dedicated circuitry (Quicksync/VCE/NVENC) for maximum speed.

The J2900 (Silvermont/Bay Trail design) uses half the power and is very cheap but that's at the cost of slower performance. The design is primarily for Intel's attack on the tablet market (under the Atom Z____ brand) but the desktop versions are good for file servers, HTPCs and other dedicated use machines. I wouldn't buy one as a general purpose desktop machine, it's quite a bit slower than a Haswell Celeron/Pentium in some uses and the saving on a complete machine is minimal.

Some benchmarks of similar models here:
    Budget CPU Roundup: AMD Kabini vs. Intel Bay Trail-D > Application Performance - TechSpot

The 6300 is about 30% faster than the 4000. The J2900 is about 10% faster than the J1900. The G3240 is within a couple of percent of the G3220.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    I am not a gamer any more have been using onboard graphics for a long time.

This is the one I found for the G3240 -

Lenovo Thinkcentre E73 SFF Desktop - Desktops at Ebuyer

My only concern what to do with my current internal blu ray writer, 1TB SATA HDD and I might need more usb ports. I currently use a monitor on DVI but looks like I can make use of the display port to a DVI connection.

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    Looking at the picture of the internals they look like standard drives so you could potentially replace them with the blu-ray and 1TB HDD. Alternatively you can get external caddies for them. If your 1TB drive is 2.5" it'll slot in as the internals show a space for one.

It's got four spare expansion slots for low profile cards and USB cards are cheap enough, particularly if you're not going to need more USB3 ports. One of the disadvantages you're going to find in most £200 machines is the front ports are only USB2.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    Looks like the DVD writer slot is a laptop one as it has 5.25" x 1/2H in the specs. The 1TB is actually a 1.5TB and is a 3.5" SATA drive. I already have two USB external HDD's so looks like I would be adding USB devices on it. I found a sata enclosure that would work with the blu ray writer.

I am thinking of a USB 3.0 card and a wireless card would be good in the low profile pci e slots. It would be 4 USB drives, scanner, mouse/keyboard. I do have 3 other usb cables attached permanently.

I haven't added anything to a pc since 2008 so don't fancy doing anything to hard.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    Half height 5.25" is the standard size for desktop drives, full height bays were the 8cm high ones used for the original 5.25" floppy drives. Laptop ones are usually referred to as slimline.

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    Thanks. I thought the pic showed a normal drive.