List of Cancelled PS3 Games.

Waynej

Well-known Member
Source: http://www.technophilia.org/2006/07/list-of-cancelled-ps3-games.html

Have a look through the above article. I just come across it a few mins ago whilst browsing. Now I knew WWE SD v Raw got canned for the PS3 - which is a very big blow to Sony as it was 1 of their top sellers. It is still coming to the Xbox 360 though and PS2 and PSP.

The one game on the list that shocked me the most is the fact that Splinter Cell Double Agent is now cancelled for PS3. Thus making it nextgen exclusive to the 360 I never did like Sony getting Splnter Cell in the first place. I always thought of it like Sony has Metal Gear and we have Splinter Cell. But oh well.

There are a few more interesting things on the list, but Double Agent is what took me by surprise.

Have a look through and post your thoughts.

http://www.technophilia.org/2006/07/list-of-cancelled-ps3-games.html
 

Kahled

Novice Member
LMFAO!!!

Best thing about that as usual is the comments from people. Ay rampant fanboy pique at its best.
 

Smak

Active Member
Wondered how long this would take to reach here....

posted over at B3D

"Splinter Cell: Double Agent : I will be very suprised if this doesnt get ported, its Ubisoft were talking about.

Oblivion : Assuptions based on old information, recent rumours suggest that a PS3 port is in the works.

Smackdown 07 : The PS3 will be skipping the '07 Smackdown release and pick up the franchise with the '08 version.

Condemned:Criminal Origins : The asumption was based on information thats over 12 months old.

Endless Saga : Cancelled because the developer thought the game was sub-par.

Elveon : Information is fuzzy on this.

Theseis : Expect a port soon.

Killing Day : Cancelled for EVERY platform."
 

mcmanic

Novice Member
Kahled said:
LMFAO!!!

Best thing about that as usual is the comments from people. Ay rampant fanboy pique at its best.
but its things like this that start a downward spiral, never before in console history has developers dropped support on new hardware due to high costs of the console itself and how hard, long and costs envoled in developing such game (excluding Sega Saturn - and you know what happened to that)
 

drskhaled

Novice Member
Frankly I'm glad most of these are canned as they're multiplatform games. who'd buy wwe vs raw at ps3 prices (allegedly £59) when you can get the equivalent game on other platforms for lower. what all new consoles need is exclusives, not overpriced ports that only just impove visually. The 360 has a number of ports which allways sell poorly as there are cheaper versions, particularly pc. Even if people dont have other consoles to play on i'm sure consumers see the difference in price and feel ripped off, hence may avoid buying the game. One of the main criticisms i had for 360 was the number of multiplatform releases, and I'll be equally critical of Ps3 if that has loads of naff conversions from year old games like condemned etc. As for oblivion that would be a wothy port as its such a superb game, but it may just be too time consuming to port such a huge game over, they'll only do it if they think it'll make a profit.
 

figoagogo

Well-known Member
Waynej said:
I always thought of it like Sony has Metal Gear and we have Splinter Cell. But oh well.
Who is WE, your Xbox buddies?
As far "wwe vs raw" - well who wants a wrestling game (not me), either way they have most likely chosen to can it on PS3, so they can push it on PS2 so parents can buy it for little Tommy Tucker to play on his PS2 sooner (rather than later on PS3) - think of how many PS2s are out there compared to PS3!

I have not decided which next console to buy yet, perhaps PS3/perhaps Wii, but not an Xbox360 as I like my Jap games. But good luck to all of them.

But lets not concern ourselves with the PS3 future or games lists until the damn thing has been release - BYE.
 

Kahled

Novice Member
mcmanic said:
but its things like this that start a downward spiral, never before in console history has developers dropped support on new hardware due to high costs of the console itself and how hard, long and costs envoled in developing such game (excluding Sega Saturn - and you know what happened to that)
Agreed.

And somewhere along the line someone has to really sit up and take notice of that rather than running around with eyes closed and hands pressed over their ears saying 'the PS3 will be great'.

You always see the fanboys knocking each other but nothing on this scale before and it's far from extreme fanboys lodging complaints and doubts, at the moment the PS3 is the butt of so much derision and doubt that no wonder these developers are hedging their bets. There may be kudos attached to the Playstation name but it would seem that PS3 is pretty much exempt from that en masse, certainly very few would think anyone cool or hip in buying one so the prestige factor is gone. There is just too much being said against it for devs not to take note and hesitate, and with it being so prevalent its not just the fanboys but average joe and the gadget freaks saying it as well.

Sony just have to sort this by any means possible because if that level of feeling persists through the launch, then it wont matter if they have a ten year plan or not... disinterested (non) buyers will deter developers and in turn non-developers will deter future buyers - vicious circle.

What amazes me is that there is a lot of people voicing that it is not a problem and things will be great, but how can they be if people are not going to buy which seems the case to me? Fanboy bleating and purchases will not be enough, they need the average joe buying that unit. With average joe faced with that price point and what is looking to be an even higher price for games... I dont see how anyone cannot think there may well be troubling times ahead for the PS3. Sony need to get their PR bandwagon rolling, its needs to be effective and for a change reliable if they are to salvage anything.
 

SAH

Banned
'Agreed.

And somewhere along the line someone has to really sit up and take notice of that rather than running around with eyes closed and hands pressed over their ears saying 'the PS3 will be great'. '

This is hillarious. :D

You do realise the VAST majority of true next gen, cross platform, titles have been delayed until PS3 is released.

It is commercial suicide to spend such huge development costs for a 360 only launch.

The likes of Smackown 07 are nothing but upgraded PS2 titles, just like the lame Burnout, Need for Speed etc. titles the 360 has been plagued with.
 

NackNack

Banned
All this seems to me is that Sony wants people piling in their cash into the PS2 for it's last major Christmas, and not dogging the console with PS2 ports like the 360 was last Christmas. Getting such titles like Smackdown and Splinter Cell makes it seem like it isn't a leap in terms of generation, so if it has more 'original' games that aren't on 'lesser' consoles, it seems more of an exciting proposition.
 

Bilbob

Well-known Member
So fewer games makes it a better proposition???
 

Andy3

Banned
You beat me to it SS4:

According to breaking news from Japan, two major RPG projects have been canned by From Software, both slated for the new Sony machine.

Unconfirmed reports state From has pulled the plug on two RPG projects for PlayStation 3, the tentatively-titled 'Dark RPG' and another unnamed project. From had committed the games to support Sony's early PlayStation 3 push on several occasions. We expect the latest issue of Famitsu to confirm the cannings


(from Spong)

Blimmin' eck, this is turning into an exodus!:eek:
 

[email protected]

Novice Member
SAH said:
You do realise the VAST majority of true next gen, cross platform, titles have been delayed until PS3 is released.


The likes of Smackown 07 are nothing but upgraded PS2 titles, just like the lame Burnout, Need for Speed etc. titles the 360 has been plagued with.
Could you be so kind as to name some of these 'VAST majority' please?

And I fail to see how XBox 360 is 'plagued' with games like burnout revenge. 360 got burnout revenge just as playstation did. The cost is the same, the differnce with the 360 version is infinitly better graphics, sound and frame rates. How is that being 'plaqued'??? surely the ones plagued are the sony fanboys clinging to their PS2s and playing it on there in poor, outdated, last gen, SD graphics??

Fact is XBox has moved on, gaming has moved on, 360 is here and now and doing the business and playstation is out of date. If/when sony ever catch up then we can compare and contrast but until then there can be no real comparison.

As for me, I'm absolutely loving my next gen gaming, the only problem I have is deciding which of the excellent catalogue of games to be plagued with next.
 

SAH

Banned
It's not me saying this but respected news sources like Edge, GamesIndustry, Gamecentral etc.

The major next gen, AAA, multi format titles are not being released until PS3 hits the stores in big numbers.

I'm talking about titles on the scale of MGS and GTA, not your generic shooters and racers. HD Burnout is not next gen gaming.

A 3rd party publisher is not going to release a major AAA title soley for the 360, they'll wait until Christmas 2006 at the earliest, more likely well into 2007.

Even Microsofts big AAA titles have been held back until PS3 launches.

' the only problem I have is deciding which of the excellent catalogue of games to be plagued with next.'

Once again, not what independant multi format magazines etc. are saying, the complete opposite in fact!

What was it, one 360 title released in August?
 

Bilbob

Well-known Member
One point, is that the major AAA tiltles are not really 'held back' until consoles are large in number (although this is obviously just good business practise) it is that they take longer to develop, they can't simply be knocked out in 6 months... in the case of GTA as an example, the dev time will be massive, it wasn't simply a case of waiting till the ps3 was around....

And we've covered the lack of new 360 titles in depth already... every format, every summer, lacks cutting edge titles in any number... it's a low sales time, for every console market.
 

stg

Novice Member
mattrixdesign2 said:
Who is WE, your Xbox buddies?
As far "wwe vs raw" - well who wants a wrestling game (not me), either way they have most likely chosen to can it on PS3, so they can push it on PS2 so parents can buy it for little Tommy Tucker to play on his PS2 sooner (rather than later on PS3) - think of how many PS2s are out there compared to PS3!

I have not decided which next console to buy yet, perhaps PS3/perhaps Wii, but not an Xbox360 as I like my Jap games. But good luck to all of them.

But lets not concern ourselves with the PS3 future or games lists until the damn thing has been release - BYE.

Derogatory stereotypical crap! :rolleyes:

Yep, believe it or not, adults also like wrestling and wrestling games too! "Do you still think it's real" ....obviously not, it's a form of entertainment. Hell, I know people who don't even like wrestling but like and buy the games for it. Great multiplayer fun for one.

Whether you like it or not, the SD series sells VERY well and will be a fairly big blow to the PS3's selling. But from looking at other boards, A LOT of people are just going to buy a PS3 and play the PS2 version on it. :rolleyes:
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
stg said:
But from looking at other boards, A LOT of people are just going to buy a PS3 and play the PS2 version on it. :rolleyes:
Where as the sensible ones will buy a PS2 and play it on that, thus saving a good £300 :). Still as they say, there's Nowt as queer as folk!
 

stg

Novice Member
CAS FAN said:
Where as the sensible ones will buy a PS2 and play it on that, thus saving a good £300 :). Still as they say, there's Nowt as queer as folk!

The "majority" of them aren't very smart people. :smashin:
 

[email protected]

Novice Member
SAH said:
It's not me saying this but respected news sources like Edge, GamesIndustry, Gamecentral etc.

The major next gen, AAA, multi format titles are not being released until PS3 hits the stores in big numbers.

I'm talking about titles on the scale of MGS and GTA, not your generic shooters and racers. HD Burnout is not next gen gaming.

A 3rd party publisher is not going to release a major AAA title soley for the 360, they'll wait until Christmas 2006 at the earliest, more likely well into 2007.

Even Microsofts big AAA titles have been held back until PS3 launches.

' the only problem I have is deciding which of the excellent catalogue of games to be plagued with next.'

Once again, not what independant multi format magazines etc. are saying, the complete opposite in fact!

What was it, one 360 title released in August?
I dont agree, burnout revenge on 360 has much better graphics, much better speed/frames, much better sound, and much better online features than the PS2 equivalent. It is doing things that the PS2 cant do so it is next gen. I think people are expecting a little too much from these new consoles. Games are not suddenly going to get any better in any dapartment only graphically and sound wise. They wont suddenly start to have better gameplay or new genres. All the next gen consoles can do is improve on what is already being done and thats exactly what burnout revenge does. I can accept that if it had been done from the ground up with 2 years development it could have been even better, but by definition, it does things the last gen cant possibly do so it is next gen.

The 2 you quote, MGS and GTA, are playstation games. Of course they will not be released until PS3 arrives, and ultimately it will be good for the games because they will have an extra year of development than first planned.

The 360 is going through a quite period in terms of games yes, but it is still not short of existing games and a few games coming through slowly. I have a list of 9 titles that I still want to buy so I am far from running out just yet. The games industry always has a lull at this time of year. Developers are working on titles that they penciled in for christmas release, the industry in general is very slow at this time of year every year. Couple that with the fact that all the titles that developers have tried to get out there quickly are now out of the way and we are just about at the point where we will start to see what 360 can really do. But this slower period for the first year of a consoles life is par for the course, every console goes through it, including the PS3.
 

Crovon

Well-known Member
Are you forgetting that GTA is no longer just a PS game?

Its not even exclusive to PS3 anymore and in all fairness will be more like an exclusive on the 360 due to the extra content deal MS struck with Rockstar which will be downloadable via xbox live.
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Madden NFL 2007 (definately one of the biggest cross platform titles that is released in any given year) is coming out on the 360 on 25th August. More games come out around the Holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas) period every year, whether a console is released or not. The summer months are always very quiet on all consoles and the 360 has a ridiculous amount of quality coming between September & November, so much so that I will probably only be able to afford around 1/3rd of the games that I want to play.
 

NackNack

Banned
Bilbob said:
So fewer games makes it a better proposition???
It's not fewer games since they're on the PS2, so why waste money having two versions dividing the audience? Let them play their proper next gen PS3 games and last gen PS2 games on it as well.

Having titles that are already on the PS2 at a higher price on PS3 makes it seem like a rip, and that all that is increasing is the price, whereas having 'original' PS3 only titles makes it seem more attractive to consumers.
 

m1ket

Well-known Member
SAH said:
It's not me saying this but respected news sources like Edge, GamesIndustry, Gamecentral etc.

The major next gen, AAA, multi format titles are not being released until PS3 hits the stores in big numbers.

I'm talking about titles on the scale of MGS and GTA, not your generic shooters and racers. HD Burnout is not next gen gaming.

A 3rd party publisher is not going to release a major AAA title soley for the 360, they'll wait until Christmas 2006 at the earliest, more likely well into 2007.

Even Microsofts big AAA titles have been held back until PS3 launches.

' the only problem I have is deciding which of the excellent catalogue of games to be plagued with next.'

Once again, not what independant multi format magazines etc. are saying, the complete opposite in fact!

What was it, one 360 title released in August?
yeh all the xbox 360 titles are being released later in the year because the ps3 is coming out later in the year :rolleyes: not because summer is always a drought of games and nov/dec is the busiest time of the year for game sales
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
NackNack said:
Why is there a summer drought? Because games don't sell over summer, not in vast quantities anyhow.
Don't be daft - surely it's because the 360 is dead and burried :rotfl:.

At the end of the day, anyone who knows anything about the video game industry knows that everything almost shuts down in the summer as hardly anyone buys games over that period. It's the same with TV, most of the series start in the Autumn/Winter and finish in the Spring.

The fact that there is a HUGE amount of quality heading for the 360 in the Autumn/Winter has nothing to do with the PS3. Infact many of the games that people are looking forward to are 360 exclusives.
 

SAH

Banned
m1ket said:
yeh all the xbox 360 titles are being released later in the year because the ps3 is coming out later in the year :rolleyes: not because summer is always a drought of games and nov/dec is the busiest time of the year for game sales
Hardly a drought, more a desert.

I do realise there are reasons for the lack of titles during the summer months, it's just a little strange seeing 360 owners shouting from the rooftops about 'lastgen' updates being canne for the PS3, yet the 360 release scheule has been barren for a good few months.

You can't slag off PS3 on one hand, then come over all defensive, throwing out every excuse under the sun for the lack of titles.

I'm very confident my imminent PS3 purchase (no pre-order yet, may not even buy one this side of Christmas) will be the right decision for me, I see no reason to visit the 360 forum and shout off about this and that.

Have some people got an insecurity complex?
 

SAH

Banned
Bilbob said:
One point, is that the major AAA tiltles are not really 'held back' until consoles are large in number (although this is obviously just good business practise) it is that they take longer to develop, they can't simply be knocked out in 6 months... in the case of GTA as an example, the dev time will be massive, it wasn't simply a case of waiting till the ps3 was around....

And we've covered the lack of new 360 titles in depth already... every format, every summer, lacks cutting edge titles in any number... it's a low sales time, for every console market.

Fair point, but PGR3 ticked all the boxes, and that was a launch title.
 

Bilbob

Well-known Member
Firstly, PGR3 wasn't in the same league in terms of dev as something like GTA... and those that have played it, admit that whilst it IS good, it's not a worthy sequel to PGR2...

And don't be getting all defensiive about the ps3 with regards to it's games! You are doing as much of the baiting as any 'ps3 baiter', this thread would have been dead and buried and forgotten if you hadn't have dug it up and brushed the debris off!
 

figoagogo

Well-known Member
stg said:
Derogatory stereotypical crap! :rolleyes:

Yep, believe it or not, adults also like wrestling and wrestling games too! "Do you still think it's real" ....obviously not, it's a form of entertainment. Hell, I know people who don't even like wrestling but like and buy the games for it. Great multiplayer fun for one.

Whether you like it or not, the SD series sells VERY well and will be a fairly big blow to the PS3's selling. But from looking at other boards, A LOT of people are just going to buy a PS3 and play the PS2 version on it. :rolleyes:
You are correct, apologies for that post - however I still think for a game like that the PS2 will get the sales, where as there will not be enough PS3s in households to get the sales to make it worth while.
 

Similar threads

Trending threads

Latest news

Disney+ hits 10 million subscribers after first 24 hours
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sharp unveils 30-inch rollable OLED TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
ATC launches C1 Sub Mk2 active subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Home AV Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Disney+ unveils Maclunkey cut of Star Wars: A New Hope
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Latest threads

Top Bottom